|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jack plan to take to San Francisco with him according to his poem about going there?
(a) The clothes on his back and a dream in his heart.
(b) A sleeping bag and a bottle of wine.
(c) An idea and some gumption.
(d) His books and some cigarettes.
2. What about the Seattle Times makes Jack sick after returning from the woods?
(a) The smell of ink.
(b) The sounds of the rustling pages.
(c) The sight of so much waste.
(d) The stories of bloodshed.
3. To Jack, the forest service is a metaphor of what?
(b) A child with too much responsibility.
(c) The circle of life.
(d) Totalitarian governments.
4. According to Jack, what has little place in a civilized world?
(a) Judgement and arrogance.
(b) Impatience and rudeness.
(c) Peace and calm.
(d) Enlightenment of solitude.
5. What does Jack want to "own" before he leaves Washington?
(a) The wind.
(b) A fire.
(c) A forest.
(d) His soul.
6. What does Jack read while he is at his job in Washington?
(b) His own writing.
(d) His old journals.
7. What does Irwin want Jack to be able to do with his fan mail?
(a) Dance on it.
(b) Return it.
(c) Use it to fuel a fire.
(d) Create works of art with it.
8. What does Jack do whenever something sad happens to him?
(a) Takes 'depression walks'.
(b) Yells ot the heavens.
(c) Writes about it.
(d) Drinks tequila.
9. Where does Jack go after drinking some wine in his room on Skid Row?
(a) A fight club.
(b) A burlesque show.
(c) An abandoned park.
(d) A bar.
10. How much does Jack pay for his Skid Row room?
11. Which of the poets does one of the Ruths fall for when they reach New York?
12. Where does the strange car ride end for the poets?
(a) New Jersey.
(d) Washington D.C.
13. Why does Raphael need help packing?
(a) He is too ill to do it all himself.
(b) He wants to account for all of his possesions.
(c) He is breaking up with his girl.
(d) He is going to Europe.
14. What is David D'Angeli's nickname?
(a) The Pope.
(b) The Minister.
(c) The Reverend.
(d) The Priest.
15. What does Jack call his friend Irwin?
(a) A fellow bearded poet.
(b) A follower of Christ.
(c) A Jewish prophet.
(d) An ingrate and a fool.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a reason that Jack gives for no longer being desirable to women?
2. What does Jack ask Cody to do about Raphael?
3. What is the name of Simon's brother?
4. Where does Jack take Simon the day after they go to the racetrack?
5. What does Jack feed the animals that come to his cabin in Washington?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)