|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jack think he looks like while living in Mexico?
(a) A criminal.
(b) An old man.
(c) An escaped mental patient.
(d) An advocate of the Devil.
2. To Jack, the forest service is a metaphor of what?
(b) A child with too much responsibility.
(c) Totalitarian governments.
(d) The circle of life.
3. According to Jack, what has little place in a civilized world?
(a) Impatience and rudeness.
(b) Peace and calm.
(c) Judgement and arrogance.
(d) Enlightenment of solitude.
4. What does Jack want to "own" before he leaves Washington?
(a) His soul.
(b) A forest.
(c) The wind.
(d) A fire.
5. What does Jack think he is doomed to as far as love is concerned?
(a) Loving women who love other men.
(b) Loving women who hate him.
(c) Loving women who can see through his facade.
(d) Loving women who are too young.
6. Which of the poets does one of the Ruths fall for when they reach New York?
7. What is Jack's job at the beginning of the book?
(a) Forest ranger.
(b) Fire lookout.
8. How does Gaines earn his money?
(a) He rents out his house.
(b) He is an artist.
(c) He steals.
(d) He deals drugs.
9. What does Jack decide he needs when he sees the Greyhound baggage carriers?
(a) A suitcase.
(b) A place to stay.
(c) A servant.
(d) A haircut.
10. What instrument does Moore play?
(a) Tenor saxophone.
(d) Bass guitar.
11. What does Jack's aunt make for dinner every Sunday night when he is a child?
(a) Mac N' Cheese.
(b) Pot Roast.
12. What is the only book that Jack has to read while he is in Washington?
(a) God is in all Things.
(b) My God, My Country.
(c) The God That Failed.
(d) The Bible.
13. What is the name of the woman Jack might have married at one point?
14. What does Jack do with Cody's children while he is at work?
(a) Draws pictures of them.
(b) Takes them on a tour of Chinatown.
(c) Plays magical games with them.
(d) Teaches them about poetry.
15. What does Jack call the place where all humanity is born and shall return to?
(a) Heaven's Womb.
(b) Eternal Splendor.
(c) Golden Eternity.
(d) Celestial Kingdom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack see illusions of while he is out in the storm all night?
2. What does the shock of lightning remind Jack of?
3. Where does Jack sleep during a break in the trip to Mexico?
4. What is Levesque's occupation?
5. What is the first thing Jack does when he climbs aboard the ferry?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)