Book I, Part I - Desolation in Solitude: Chapters 1 - 3 | Book I, Part I - Desolation in Solitude: Chapters 4 - 7
1. Which of the following is NOT a mountain that Jack enjoys looking at and pondering?
(a) Mount Hozomeen.
(b) Mount Baker.
(c) Mount Jack.
(d) Mount Rose.
2. How does Jack refer to his inner blackness?
(a) The Other Jack.
(b) The Truth.
(c) The Void.
(d) The enemy.
3. What is Jack's job at the beginning of the book?
(b) Forest ranger.
(c) Fire lookout.
4. What does Jack read while he is at his job in Washington?
(a) His own writing.
(c) His old journals.
5. What is Jack supposed to buy in the dream he has in the forest?
(a) Some medical supplies.
(b) A coffin.
(c) A steak.
(d) A house.
6. What does Jack do when he first wakes up from the dream he has in the forest?
(a) Tries to interpret the dream.
(b) Writes a letter to his mother.
(c) Goes for a long walk.
(d) Calls his brother on the phone.
Book I, Part I - Desolation in Solitude: Chapters 8 - 13 | Book I, Part I - Desolation in Solitude: Chapters 14 - 19
7. Where does Jack learn to roll his own cigarettes?
(b) The Army.
(c) His grandfather's house.
(d) High school.
This section contains 4,015 words
(approx. 14 pages at 300 words per page)