|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By the time the Uchidas left Tanforan, what did they have for Sunday dinner?
2. In Chapter 8, what type of a flower bulb did the Uchidas carefully nurture?
3. When was legislation passed allowing Japanese to become naturalized citizens?
4. What was the name of Yoshiko’s classmate who met her at the Salk Lake City station?
5. Where were the Uchidas housed at Tanforan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Yoshiko and her mother make signs for the washrooms at Tanforan?
2. How was the first meal that the Uchidas ate at Tanforan?
3. Who greeted the internees when they arrived at Topaz?
4. Where did friends gather at Tanforan to say goodbye to the Uchidas and other internees as they headed to Topaz?
5. How did Yoshiko receive her college diploma?
6. In Chapter 6, what would non-Japanese friends bring the Uchidas when they came to visit?
7. What break were the internees given after the train reached Nevada sagebrush country?
8. How did Dwight celebrate his twenty-fifth wedding anniversary?
9. How did Dillon S. Myer say that being cut off from the mainstream of American life affected people?
10. How did a woman solve the problem of no bathtubs at Tanforan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tanforan and Topaz became communities for the Japanese-Americans. How long did it take for the internees to start establishing institutions and community activities in the camps? What types of institutions and community activities were established? How did the Japanese-Americans band together? What was it they did they really created a sense of community?
Essay Topic 2
The Issei were first-generation immigrants and the Nisei were second-generation immigrants. What struggles did the Issei have in their new country? What struggles did the Nisei have in the United States? What conflicts were there between the Issei and Nisei? Why were opportunities limited for both first and second-generation immigrants?
Essay Topic 3
In Tanforan and Topaz, there were climate adjustments that the Uchidas and others had to make. How were the climates different in Berkeley, Tanforan, and Topaz? What physical ailments were caused by the climates in Tanforan and Topaz? Was it more difficult to adjust to one climate than another?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)