|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When funds became available, what did Dwight want purchased for him in Chapter 3?
2. What profession had Dwight wanted to pursue when he came to the United States?
3. By what date was it clear that the government intended to evacuate all Japanese from the West coast?
4. What government official stated that the Pearl Harbor attack was the result of espionage and sabotage by Japanese-Americans?
5. What flowers grew to be seventeen inches in diameter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the neighbors treat the Uchida family as the evacuation drew near?
2. Why was money a major concern after Dwight was detained?
3. What did the children do while they waited for the adult church service to end?
4. What did Grandmother Uchida do that showed she was a devout Christian?
5. After Yoshiko and her sister and mother visited Dwight at the detention center, why did they fear they would never see him again?
6. What constitutional amendments were ignored during the evacuation?
7. What were the Uchidas doing when they learned about the attack on Pearl Harbor?
8. What did Iku carry in her purse?
9. What would Iku do with her girls for a special outing?
10. How did Dwight’s family struggle when he was growing up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In 1943, Japanese Americans were allowed and encouraged to serve in the United States military. Why weren’t they allowed to serve in the military from June of 1942 to January of 1943? Why did President Roosevelt believe that the Nisei should finally be allowed to serve? How were the Nisei to be allowed to serve? Why not integrate them throughout the army? Why were some Issei disdainful of the plan to allow Japanese Americans in the military? Why was it hypocritical for the United States to be asking the Nisei to enlist? How did this new policy cause tremendous turmoil at Topaz? What struggle did the Nisei face as they considered whether to enlist or not?
Essay Topic 2
The Uchida family made a trip to Japan—a trip that invoked different emotions and meant something special to each family member who went on the trip. What did Iku remember about her first trip to America? How did the voyage to Japan compare to that trip? How did Iku feel about the luxury they were able to afford? In what way was the trip a homecoming for Dwight and Iku? Why was it especially a homecoming for Iku? How did Iku feel about returning to Japan for a visit? What did the trip mean to Yoshio and Keiko? Why did the trip to Japan mean something special to Grandmother Uchida? How did the trip fulfill dreams that some of the family members had?
Essay Topic 3
The Issei were first-generation immigrants and the Nisei were second-generation immigrants. What struggles did the Issei have in their new country? What struggles did the Nisei have in the United States? What conflicts were there between the Issei and Nisei? Why were opportunities limited for both first and second-generation immigrants?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)