|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which member of her family will Inez visit in the hospital within a couple hours of landing?
2. What comic book character do soldiers name the nuclear device that Lovett recalls being detonated?
3. What does Lovett say is the only way Harry and his associates believe something is true?
4. In what location are men like Jack Lovett always comfortable, according to Didion?
5. Which of the following is not a measure Inez takes to protect her privacy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Billy Dillon insist regarding Paul Christian at the end of the chapter?
2. Why does Inez Victor lash out at Janet's doctors in Chapter 12?
3. How does Jack Lovett find Jessie Victor?
4. In what respect is DEMOCRACY a second attempt by Joan Didion?
5. What is Joan Didion's first memory of Jack Lovett and Inez Victor together?
6. How does the narrator's reading of papers in 1975 reflect her feelings about time?
7. What does Inez Victor want to discuss with Didion in 1975 instead of her affair with Jack Lovett?
8. How does Jessie Victor Make her way to Vietnam?
9. Why are the nuclear detonations in the Pacific more memorable than those in Nevada to Jack Lovett?
10. How does Inez get Lovett's body to Hawaii?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jack Lovett is - far beyond anyone else in the novel - an ambiguous figure whose actions and intentions are unknowable. Write an essay examining the overwhelming strengths and fatal weaknesses of Lovett's character. What is his role in prosecuting and resolving the conflict in Vietnam? How does his life represent absolute control? What mistakes does he make at the end of the novel? Is his death suspicious in any way?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the Christian family. Using three members, discuss how they are outsiders to their traditional surroundings. How do they view the world of modern Hawaiian society? What are their business endeavors? To what extent are they always held remote from the rest of Hawaiian society? How does the local population view the Christian family?
Essay Topic 3
Jessie Victor is one of the more unpredictable characters of DEMOCRACY. Write an essay analyzing her objectives, both those that she tells her father she wants to pursue and the ones she pursues by a series of inadvisable actions. What decisions does she make that cause problems both for her and for those around her? What reasoning does she give for making these choices, and what reasoning does the narrator infer? How doe these motivations connect with the goals she describes to her father?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)