|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what American magazine did both Joan Didion and Inez Victor work?
(c) Rolling Stone.
(d) The New Yorker.
2. How does the narrator characterize Inez's daily political life in this chapter?
(b) Being eaten away from the inside.
(c) Running a marathon.
3. What color does Jack Lovett recall the sky being during the Pacific nuclear tests?
4. Which member of the Christian family agrees to an interview with CBS during the 1972 campaign?
5. As an educator at Berkeley in 1975, what does Didion do every morning?
(a) Eats a grapfruit.
(b) Reads several papers.
(c) Calls Inez in New York.
(d) Has conferences with struggling students.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is the island that Lovett describes in Chapter 1?
2. What word does Jack Lovett use to describe Inez Victor when he discusses her with Didion?
3. Where does Inez eventually work with refugees?
4. Where is Adlai attending summer school during Jessie's crisis?
5. Where in Janet's house is the body of Wendell Omura found?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of Paul Christian's room at the YMCA?
2. How does the narrator's reading of papers in 1975 reflect her feelings about time?
3. How are Jack Lovett and Inez Victor reunited in Chapter 11?
4. What seems ridiculous to Billy Dillon about his conversation with Dick Ziegler?
5. How is Wendell Omura connected to Dick Ziegler?
6. How does Inez get Lovett's body to Hawaii?
7. Why does Inez Victor lash out at Janet's doctors in Chapter 12?
8. What does Didion think when Inez finally invited her to Kuala Lumpur?
9. What is the world political situation as Inez Victor and Jack Lovett talk in Chapter 1?
10. How does Jessie Victor Make her way to Vietnam?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)