|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not a measure Inez takes to protect her privacy?
(a) Scratches her name off prescription bottles.
(b) Checks into hotels under assumed names.
(c) Stops frequenting a book store with too much delivery information.
(d) Refuses to stay in the New York apartment alone.
2. How does the narrator characterize Inez's daily political life in this chapter?
(a) Running a marathon.
(d) Being eaten away from the inside.
3. On what aspect of news stories regarding southeast Asian turmoil does Didion generally focus?
4. Which of the following Christians is Inez Victor's grandmother?
5. Where in Janet's house is the body of Wendell Omura found?
(a) In the bed.
(b) In the pool.
(c) Behind the bar.
(d) On the couch.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Didion's father's profession?
2. Who does Paul Christian pretend to be in the cable he sends to Inez Victor in 1975?
3. How does Harry Victor describe Inez Victor's unhappiness in Chapter 9?
4. In Chapter 10, what nickname does Inez protest she has never been called?
5. What appointment does Harry Victor turn down to run for President?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Inez become comfortable in her own life over the course of the novel?
2. How are Jack Lovett and Inez Victor reunited in Chapter 11?
3. What is Paul Christian's attitude regarding the shooting?
4. How does Jack Lovett find Jessie Victor?
5. What cable is sent to Inez Victor on October 2, 1975?
6. Describe the nature of Jack Lovett's death.
7. What is Joan Didion's first memory of Jack Lovett and Inez Victor together?
8. Describe the Paul Christian crime scene.
9. What information about Paul Christian's crime does Didion reveal in Chapter 3?
10. Describe Janet Christian's interview in Chapter 10.
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)