|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What adjective do Billy Dillon and the Christian family repeatedly use to describe the absent Inez in Chapter 12?
2. What patriotic song is played on a loop on radios after the Bing Crosby signal?
(a) A Yankee Doodle Medley.
(b) America the Beautiful.
(c) Battle Hymn of the Republic.
(d) Stars and Stripes Forever.
3. What is Inez surprised she feels about her family at the end of the chapter?
(a) She hates them.
(b) She is not interested in them.
(c) She does not miss them.
(d) She loves them.
4. What is Jessie Victor's job at the Legion Club?
5. To whom had Paul Christian been making frequent cryptic phone calls in the weeks leading up to the shooting?
(a) Dick Ziegler.
(b) Inez Victor.
(c) Wendell Omura.
(d) Ruthie Christian.
6. On what small detail does Billy Dillon repeatedly fixate as he describes Dwight and Ruthie Christian?
7. What does Inez suspect is happening throughout the Pacific as Jack Lovett's body is transported?
(a) Indigenous women trying to call his hotel room.
(b) Champagne bottles popping.
(c) 21-gun salutes.
8. What reason does Jessie give Harry for not wanting to go to Janet's funeral?
(a) She cannot leave the state of Washington.
(b) She doesn't attend funerals.
(c) She barely knew Janet.
(d) Mourning is a bourgeois activity.
9. From where in Honolulu does Paul Christian call the police to turn himself in?
(a) His house.
(b) The YMCA.
(c) A movie theatre.
(d) The airport.
10. What does Billy Dillon do on the flight to Honolulu to calm himself?
(b) Takes one of Inez's Valiums.
(c) Plays solitaire.
(d) Reads the Bible.
11. How does Ruthie Christian busy herself in Chapter 7?
(a) Arranging flowers.
(b) Arranging crackers.
(c) Arranging photos.
(d) Arranging books.
12. Which of the following is not an assumption Inez makes about the owner of the room in which she stays in Hong Kong?
(a) It is a Communist.
(b) It is an American.
(c) It is a woman.
(d) It is a reporter.
13. What does Jack Lovett tell Jessie they are doing to get her to an airplane?
(a) Going to a shrine.
(b) Seeing a movie.
(c) Meeting a contact at a golf course.
(d) Sending a cable to Inez.
14. About what type of furnishing does Paul Christian repeatedly inquire during his visit with Inez?
(a) A chaise lounge.
(b) A credenza.
(c) A settee.
(d) An ottoman.
15. What is BJ's profession?
(a) Consulate secretary.
(b) Intelligence analyst.
(c) Field journalist.
(d) Airplane mechanic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of food does Paul Christian constantly mention eating as proof of his poverty?
2. When various agencies gather to discuss the process of evacuating Saigon, what do they neglect to bring?
3. Why does Inez not want Jessie returning on an orphan plane?
4. Who does Paul Christian call immediately after shooting Janet and Omura?
5. When Didion returns to the US after meeting Inez, whom does the Congress publicly subpoena?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)