|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does the Chapter 1 conversation take place?
2. What tropical periodical has been banned in 1969?
(a) Straits Times.
(b) Jakarta Dispatch.
(c) Bangkok Tribune.
(d) Micronesian Journal.
3. Frances Landau is said to be the grand niece of the first Jew ever to serve on what?
(a) A Presidential cabinet.
(b) The Joint Chiefs of Staff.
(c) The Supreme Court.
(d) The Board of Directors of the Met.
4. What do both aerialists and writers know not to do?
(a) Overextend themselves.
(b) Move too fast.
(c) Work without a net.
(d) Look down.
5. Who does Paul Christian pretend to be in the cable he sends to Inez Victor in 1975?
(a) Jack Lovett.
(b) Dwight Christian.
(c) Janet Ziegler.
(d) Wendell Omura.
6. When does Didion say is a good time for women in their forties?
(a) Brunch on a Wednesday in spring.
(b) Breakfast on a Saturday in fall.
(c) Lunchtime on a Sunday in summer.
(d) Dinner on a Friday in winter.
7. What does Jack Victor jokingly call Inez because of her careful word choice?
(a) Little Miss Perfect.
(b) Grammar Queen.
(c) Miss Manners.
(d) Lady Christian.
8. How long has Inez Victor been married to Harry as of 1975?
(a) 20 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 15 years.
9. In Inez's list of stars, what is the tenth and last to have been?
(a) Night star.
(b) Meridian star.
(c) North star.
(d) Twinkling star.
10. Where is Adlai attending summer school during Jessie's crisis?
(d) Colorado Springs.
11. At what American magazine did both Joan Didion and Inez Victor work?
(c) The New Yorker.
(d) Rolling Stone.
12. What type of suits does Jack Lovett customarily wear?
13. Which member of her family will Inez visit in the hospital within a couple hours of landing?
14. What appointment does Harry Victor turn down to run for President?
(a) Representative to the U.N.
(b) An ambassadorship.
(c) Attorney General.
(d) President of the World Bank.
15. Dwight Christian keeps a large collection of what for special occasions?
(c) Magic tricks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Paul Christian after he sends the cable to Inez?
2. What is the name of the international group with whom Harry Victor is involved?
3. In what area's development does Dick Ziegler first make his money?
4. What is Didion's father's profession?
5. Who are the real "wildcards" in Jack Lovett's estimation (37)?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)