|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As an educator at Berkeley in 1975, what does Didion do every morning?
(a) Calls Inez in New York.
(b) Has conferences with struggling students.
(c) Eats a grapfruit.
(d) Reads several papers.
2. What romantic painter does Inez publicly state she would never hang in a Zaire embassy?
3. Which member of his own family does Paul Christian eventually kill?
4. To what does Didion compare the effects of time in 1975?
(a) An all-you-can-eat buffet.
(b) An atomic bomb.
(c) A weathering brook.
(d) A black hole.
5. In what area's development does Dick Ziegler first make his money?
(b) Hong Kong.
6. Who arrives in Honolulu with Inez Victor?
(a) Harry Victor.
(b) Jack Lovett.
(c) Dwight Christian.
(d) Billy Dillon.
7. What is Inez Victor's maiden name?
8. What color does Jack Lovett recall the sky being during the Pacific nuclear tests?
9. By what term does Janet refer to the governess that looked after Inez and her as children?
(b) Our girl.
10. What is Didion's father's profession?
11. In the false memory that was to begin Didion's first book, what does Inez Victor recall her mother doing?
12. What type of suits does Jack Lovett customarily wear?
13. What event were Inez and Jack attending when they first met?
(a) A ballet.
(b) An inauguration.
(c) The christening of a ship.
(d) A debutante ball.
14. In her happy memory, where does Inez spend a day with her children while her husband is in Saigon?
(a) Hong Kong.
(d) Phnom Penh.
15. How does the narrator characterize Inez's daily political life in this chapter?
(c) Running a marathon.
(d) Being eaten away from the inside.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Inez Victor born?
2. What was the subject of the novel that Didion abandoned?
3. What is the name of the girl who is seriously injured in a car accident with Adlai?
4. In Chapter 10, what nickname does Inez protest she has never been called?
5. How does Harry Victor describe Inez Victor's unhappiness in Chapter 9?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)