|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what city is Inez referring when she quotes "Colors, moisture, heat..." (16)?
(b) Phnom Penh.
(c) Kuala Lumpur.
(d) Ho Chi Minh City.
2. How does the narrator characterize Inez's daily political life in this chapter?
(a) Running a marathon.
(c) Being eaten away from the inside.
3. In the famous footage of Inez dancing, which famous New York building is she atop?
(a) The Met.
(b) The San Remo.
(c) The St. Regis.
(d) The Dakota.
4. Dwight Christian keeps a large collection of what for special occasions?
(d) Magic tricks.
5. What does Lovett say is the only way Harry and his associates believe something is true?
(a) They read it in the papers.
(b) They see it with their own eyes.
(c) They find a way to make money from it.
(d) They hear it from the the FBI.
6. At the end of the chapter, what does Jack Lovett tell someone to do?
(a) Reroute the next plane to Oahu.
(b) Call a car to the Christian house.
(c) Get Inez out of the rain.
(d) Get him a cup of coffee.
7. Where is Wendell Omura pronounced dead?
(a) In the ambulance.
(b) In the emergency room.
(c) He is still in a coma.
(d) At the scene.
8. What happens to Paul Christian after he sends the cable to Inez?
(a) He is committed to an insane asylum.
(b) He flees Hawaii for Thailand.
(c) He takes in a film.
(d) He commits suicide.
9. What was the subject of the novel that Didion abandoned?
(a) The Christian Family.
(b) Inez Victor.
(c) Hawaiian geography.
(d) Jack Lovett.
10. What name does Didion use as a stand-in for all the shared associates of men like Jack Lovett?
11. What color does Jack Lovett recall the sky being during the Pacific nuclear tests?
12. In what area's development does Dick Ziegler first make his money?
(c) Hong Kong.
13. In what location are men like Jack Lovett always comfortable, according to Didion?
14. What romantic painter does Inez publicly state she would never hang in a Zaire embassy?
15. When does Didion say is a good time for women in their forties?
(a) Breakfast on a Saturday in fall.
(b) Brunch on a Wednesday in spring.
(c) Dinner on a Friday in winter.
(d) Lunchtime on a Sunday in summer.
Short Answer Questions
1. During their 1975 visit in Kuala Lumpur, who does Inez say she speaks to every night?
2. In her happy memory, where does Inez spend a day with her children while her husband is in Saigon?
3. What special interest does Paul Dillon not allow Inez to have?
4. How does Harry Victor describe Inez Victor's unhappiness in Chapter 9?
5. Frances Landau is said to be the grand niece of the first Jew ever to serve on what?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)