|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What appointment does Harry Victor turn down to run for President?
(a) Attorney General.
(b) An ambassadorship.
(c) Representative to the U.N.
(d) President of the World Bank.
2. In the famous footage of Inez dancing, which famous New York building is she atop?
(a) The Met.
(b) The San Remo.
(c) The St. Regis.
(d) The Dakota.
3. What tropical periodical has been banned in 1969?
(a) Bangkok Tribune.
(b) Micronesian Journal.
(c) Jakarta Dispatch.
(d) Straits Times.
4. In what area's development does Dick Ziegler first make his money?
(d) Hong Kong.
5. Why does Harry have to leave Jakarta suddenly?
(a) Harry's mother takes ill suddenly.
(b) The Indonesian king asks him to leave.
(c) A grenade is lobbed at the embassy.
(d) He is being burned in effigy outside.
6. What does Lovett say is the only way Harry and his associates believe something is true?
(a) They hear it from the the FBI.
(b) They read it in the papers.
(c) They see it with their own eyes.
(d) They find a way to make money from it.
7. At what museum did Inez work when Harry was at the Justice Department?
(a) Ford's Theater.
(b) The Smithsonian.
(c) The Library of Congress.
(d) The National Gallery.
8. On what aspect of news stories regarding southeast Asian turmoil does Didion generally focus?
9. In her happy memory, where does Inez spend a day with her children while her husband is in Saigon?
(b) Hong Kong.
(d) Phnom Penh.
10. To what contemporary author does the writing assignment Didion quotes in Chapter 2 refer?
11. Frances Landau is said to be the grand niece of the first Jew ever to serve on what?
(a) The Supreme Court.
(b) The Joint Chiefs of Staff.
(c) The Board of Directors of the Met.
(d) A Presidential cabinet.
12. What drug does Inez catch her daughter Jessie using in 1973?
13. To what does Didion compare the effects of time in 1975?
(a) An all-you-can-eat buffet.
(b) A weathering brook.
(c) A black hole.
(d) An atomic bomb.
14. In what year does the Chapter 1 conversation take place?
15. Which of the following characters does not accompany Harry Victor to Jakarta in 1969?
(a) Frances Landau.
(b) Dwight Christian.
(c) Billy Dillon.
(d) Janet Christian.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Didion say is a good time for women in their forties?
2. What character gives Didion a copy of the police report regarding the Paul Christian murders?
3. Dwight Christian keeps a large collection of what for special occasions?
4. Who is the witness at the wedding of Inez and Harry Victor?
5. Where in Janet's house is the body of Wendell Omura found?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)