Part 1: Chapter 1
1. What color does Jack Lovett recall the sky being during the Pacific nuclear tests?
2. What comic book character do soldiers name the nuclear device that Lovett recalls being detonated?
(b) Lil' Abner.
(c) Wonder Woman.
(d) Green Lantern.
3. How long is the island that Lovett describes in Chapter 1?
(a) Five miles.
(b) A mile and a half.
(c) A half a mile.
(d) Eight miles.
4. What mistake happened at a Nevada detonation Lovett mentions in Chapter 1?
(a) The device detonated too early.
(b) A group of campers wandered onto the detonation area.
(c) The detonation blew dust all over Reno.
(d) The device did not detonate.
5. In what year does the Chapter 1 conversation take place?
6. What is Inez Victor's maiden name?
Part 1: Chapter 2
7. In the style of what English Victorian writer does Didion begin Chapter 2?
8. To what city is Inez referring when she quotes "Colors, moisture, heat..." (16)?
(a) Kuala Lumpur.
(b) Ho Chi Minh City.
(c) Phnom Penh.
This section contains 4,188 words
(approx. 14 pages at 300 words per page)