|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. De Tocqueville believes that people must exercise their political freedom by what?
(a) Participating in the process.
(b) Doing what they want to do.
(c) Depending on each other.
(d) Behaving as if they are free.
2. Repetitive tasks give workers an inability to change what?
(a) The economic situations of their families.
(b) Their jobs.
(c) The conditions in which they work.
(d) Their skills.
3. According to de Tocqueville, comfort and other earthly pleasures are easily satisfied with what?
(c) Material objects.
4. "A priori" means what?
(a) The first knowledge.
(b) Knowledge derived from a moral source.
(c) Knowledge without actual experience.
(d) Knowledge from first-hand experience.
5. The tendency of people to implement equality first in the hope that freedom will follow is a what?
(a) Political ideology.
(b) Political truism.
(c) Political reflex.
(d) Political ideal.
Short Answer Questions
1. The institutions of the United States tend to bring together what type of people?
2. Democracy tightens social ties as it loosens what?
3. Despite the huge lands, what remained a minor enterprise when de Tocqueville was observing America?
4. In America, citizens have a right to what kind of associations?
5. Under aristocratic regimes, privileges are set by what?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to de Tocqueville, in a democratic society, what seems like endless variations of the same and monotonous reality?
2. What is one reason that democracies do not value equality and liberty equally?
3. What protects a democratic society from the great excesses that plague aristocratic societies, according to de Tocqueville?
4. According to de Tocqueville, how do political associations combat individualism and egoism?
5. What is one of the problems of equality of conditions?
6. How does de Tocqueville define comfort?
7. What is at least one thing that led America to develop industry instead of agriculture?
8. When the people feel more equal, what are some other side effects?
9. In de Tocqueville's beliefs, how does too much emphasis on equality lead to tyrannical power?
10. What is one of the civil effects of the American society?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)