|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The army of a democratic country is equated, by deTocqueville, to what?
(a) A separate people.
(b) A separate state.
(c) A separate nation.
(d) A separate arm of the government.
2. Equality of conditions means there are no a priori what in America?
(d) Points of view.
3. De Tocqueville observes that in times of peace, the quality of a military in a democracy does what?
4. The threat of a despotic government is greater in democratic societies because the power of the government is what, according to de Tocqueville?
(d) Almost unlimited.
5. Governmental power in America is highly ______________.
Short Answer Questions
1. De Tocqueville observes that, while traveling outside their own country, Americans tend to travel with signs associated with _______________?
2. The vast majority of the American populace is too busy with _________________ to bother with a revolution.
3. The small variations in manners between Americans and others are interpreted, by Americans, as an expression of what?
4. The separation between the workmen and the owners has created a new aristocracy based on what?
5. Workmen, in America, can be replaced how?
Short Essay Questions
1. What protects a democratic society from the great excesses that plague aristocratic societies, according to de Tocqueville?
2. According to de Tocqueville, within their own country, how do Americans tend to behave toward each other?
3. In de Tocqueville's observations, how do Americans act when they meet with strangers outside their borders?
4. What is one of the problems of equality of conditions?
5. What is at least one difference between the family in a democratic society and in an aristocratic society?
6. Why will democratic governments tend to centralize as they grow?
7. in de Tocqueville's observations, how are the masters and workmen connected in America?
8. In a real world, do democracies value equality or liberty more?
9. What is one of the civil effects of the American society?
10. What do rising wages for workers mean?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)