|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does de Tocqueville observe that the principle of equality has created an extraordinary sense of in the American people?
2. What kind of impact does the American press have on its people?
3. De Tocqueville characterizes the relationship between politics and religion as what?
(a) Similar ideas, and so they must be kept separate.
(b) Similar ideas that can be incorporated together.
(c) Opposites who do not need each other.
(d) Opposites who need each other.
4. De Tocqueville believes that religion provides the people of America with a set of beliefs that does what?
(a) Goes without justification or explanation.
(b) Goes without justification or justice.
(c) Goes without reason or explanation.
(d) Goes without logic or explanation.
5. What is one of the best safeguards against potential tyranny of the majority in America?
(a) The press.
(b) The judicial system.
(c) The balance of power.
(d) The media.
6. The democratic writer assumes that man is what?
7. What does de Tocqueville say religion participates in keeping the social effects of on a leash?
8. In times of peace, what has more power than the President?
(a) Executive branch.
9. De Tocqueville believes that the democratic writer has less to write about, but the writings are ________, when compared to aristocratic writings.
(a) Of greater volume.
(b) Of greater need.
(c) Of greater subjects.
(d) Of greater importance.
10. In de Tocqueville's observations, what is something the federal government is allowed to do?
(a) Create infrastructure.
(b) Manage education.
(c) Manage health care.
11. After what event was the sovereignty of the people codified in law?
(a) Civil War.
(b) American Revolution.
(c) Boston Tea Party.
(d) Declaration of Independence.
12. American literature is made up of the two extremes of what, according to de Tocqueville?
(c) The world.
13. Freedom of the press is described as what type of weapon?
(d) Two-edged sword.
14. Because of the generally accepted principle of equality among Americans, according to de Tocqueville they are less likely to accept what?
(a) Historical evidence.
(b) Traditional reasoning.
(c) Traditional ideas.
(d) Historical logic.
15. What reason does de Tocqueville supply for what Americans read, other than to stay informed?
(d) Professional development.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a monarchic regime, political positions and the bulk of the wealth are reserved for whom?
2. The New World is considered to be what, geographically, to the rest of the world?
3. What type of regime did de Tocqueville study in America?
4. To a democratic writer, truth cannot emanate from a human simply because the human does what?
5. What type of people are educated and serve to bring reason to debates through logic?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)