|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what type of sovereignty does democracy rely?
2. What reason does de Tocqueville supply for what Americans read, other than to stay informed?
(c) Professional development.
3. A democracy will not purposely legislate against the good of its what?
4. According to de Tocqueville, in America men obey what?
(a) Justice and laws.
(b) Secular authority.
(d) Divine authority.
5. Politically, the New World has never experienced what?
(a) Social change.
6. In what does de Tocqueville say American writers find poetry?
(a) The nation.
(d) The mundane.
7. About what does de Tocqueville believe aristocrats are busy writing?
(a) Mundane matters.
(b) Unique nations.
8. The balancing act that the three branches of government perform on each other is referred to as what?
(a) Opposing powers.
(c) Checks and balances.
(d) Freedom from tyranny.
9. In de Tocqueville's observations, what is something the federal government is allowed to do?
(a) Manage health care.
(b) Create infrastructure.
(c) Manage education.
10. Power is divided between what two entities in the United States?
(a) State and federal governments.
(b) Citizens and the military.
(c) State and the people.
(d) The ignorant and the intelligent.
11. The American historian holds individuals accountable for what?
(a) Major choices.
(b) Major events.
12. In de Tocqueville's analysis, sovereignty flows in what direction?
(a) From the federal government to the state.
(b) From the people to the military.
(c) From the people to the state.
(d) From the state to the people.
13. Because of the generally accepted principle of equality among Americans, according to de Tocqueville they are less likely to accept what?
(a) Traditional reasoning.
(b) Historical evidence.
(c) Traditional ideas.
(d) Historical logic.
14. What is one of the two important tools of American democracy?
(a) Political media.
(b) Printed media.
(c) Televised media.
(d) Spoken words.
15. How long did de Tocqueville stay in the united States?
(a) One year.
(b) Nine months.
(c) Six months.
(d) A year and a half.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the best safeguards against potential tyranny of the majority in America?
2. De Tocqueville believes that democracy provides an authority of its own by replacing the certitudes of the intellectual with what?
3. How is scientific research being driven in America at the time de Tocqueville is observing American democracy?
4. Of what does de Tocqueville state that the United States does not produce a valuable body?
5. What kind of impact does the American press have on its people?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)