|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to de Tocqueville, governments typically perish because they lead their country into a state of anarchy or what?
2. De Tocqueville believes that Americans have little means of discussing opinions outside the range of those entertained by whom?
(a) The vocal minority.
(b) The ruling class.
(c) The majority.
(d) Those in political power.
3. Democratic regimes will value general well-being over what?
(a) Wealth of the majority.
(b) Wealth of the minority.
(c) Extraordinary wealth of the ruling class.
(d) Extraordinary wealth of the few.
4. Because of the generally accepted principle of equality among Americans, according to de Tocqueville they are less likely to accept what?
(a) Historical evidence.
(b) Traditional ideas.
(c) Historical logic.
(d) Traditional reasoning.
5. Materialism and _______ are part of the consequences of a perceived equality of conditions.
6. In what does de Tocqueville say American writers find poetry?
(c) The nation.
(d) The mundane.
7. Democracy promotes spending energy on what types of tasks?
8. What type of people are educated and serve to bring reason to debates through logic?
9. In times of peace, what has more power than the President?
(a) Executive branch.
10. De Tocqueville believes that religion provides the people of America with a set of beliefs that does what?
(a) Goes without logic or explanation.
(b) Goes without justification or justice.
(c) Goes without justification or explanation.
(d) Goes without reason or explanation.
11. Compared to an aristocratic government ruled by an elite administration, democracy allows for what?
(a) Concentration of wealth.
(b) Weaker governance.
(c) Concentration of power.
(d) More powerful governance.
12. What is one of the branches of government?
(c) House of Representatives.
13. What kind of literature does America produce?
14. American settlers imported most of their technical language from where?
15. How long did de Tocqueville stay in the united States?
(a) Nine months.
(b) One year.
(c) A year and a half.
(d) Six months.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does de Tocqueville state that the United States does not produce a valuable body?
2. What is one of the two important tools of American democracy?
3. What reason does de Tocqueville supply for what Americans read, other than to stay informed?
4. On what type of sovereignty does democracy rely?
5. De Tocqueville believes that educated Americans read what type of literature?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)