|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Volume 2, Part 1: Chapter 13-21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In de Tocqueville's analysis, sovereignty flows in what direction?
(a) From the people to the state.
(b) From the federal government to the state.
(c) From the people to the military.
(d) From the state to the people.
2. According to de Tocqueville, freedom cannot be what?
3. To an American writer, the individuals and events are related how?
(a) They are dependent on each other.
(b) They are interrelated, although not dependent on each other.
(c) They rely on each other.
(d) They are independent of each other.
4. Religion and politics do what, in American life?
(a) Occupy their own space.
(b) Occupy similar space.
(c) Influence each other.
(d) Share similar characteristics.
5. De Tocqueville believes that there must be complete freedom of what?
(a) Press and religion.
(b) Speech and religion.
(c) Speech and press.
(d) Speech, religion, and press.
Short Answer Questions
1. In de Tocqueville's observations, aristocratic societies make countless _____________ available between man and God.
2. Democracy promotes spending energy on what types of tasks?
3. De Tocqueville writes that Americans tend to reject all external human authority and rely, instead, on what?
4. Before the American Revolution, what were the two great political parties?
5. What kind of regime did the people of France and England live in?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)