|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ed tell Bobby they must do about the man trying to kill them?
2. What does Lewis want to do with the body of the man he killed?
3. What do the two locals with a gun tell Bobby and Ed about the river?
4. What does Ed do while waiting for that help to arrive?
5. What new complication turns one member of the group into a liability after both canoes overturn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which event do you think is the one single event that reveals the theme of the story? There are several possibilities, but you are only allowed to choose one. Tell why you think the event you choose is the single most revealing event. Tell how the story changes if that event is eliminated.
Essay Topic 2
During the trip, Bobby Trippe experienced a terrible traumatic event. Discuss how this may have changed him both during the rest of the canoe trip and afterward. What kind of man was he before the trip? Do you think he is basically the same man after the trip as before? Explain your answer? How long do you think the trauma will remain a part of his personality? Why do you think this?
Essay Topic 3
While climbing the cliff and preparing to kill the attacker, Ed takes time to admire the awesome view. It is a well known psychological phenomenon that during times of great stress some people become acutely aware of seemingly insignificant things. Choose at least three of the following to discuss:
1) Tell why you think James Dickey chooses to include this phenomenon in his novel and why he does so at this point in the story? What revelation about Ed results from this scene?
2) Do you believe this event adds to the drama of the situation or detracts from it? Explain your answer.
3) If any of the other characters had climbed the cliff to kill their attacker, do you think that character would have stopped and admired the view? Why or why not? Why does the author choose this character to accomplish this task?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)