|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once at the top of the cliff, how does Ed determine the shooter's next course of action?
2. In the September 16th section, how does Ed discover the location of the shooter who has disappeared?
3. What do the two locals with a gun tell Bobby and Ed about the river?
4. Where does Ed finally seek help when their canoe reaches civilization?
5. What does Lewis tell Ed when Ed goes into the river to pull him out of the water after Bobby's and his canoe overturned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the men find Drew's body, they realize he may not have been killed by a gunshot after all. How does this discovery add to the plot twists and turns of the story? How does the uncertainty about the cause of Drew's death change the men's future actions? Explain how events following Drew's death are affected by the men's original belief that he was shot to death, then by the uncertainty about the cause of death. What did the author hope to accomplish with this plot twist?
Essay Topic 2
What would you have done if you had taken a whitewater canoe trip similar to the one described in the story? Would you have acted as Lewis and Ed did if you were attacked in a similar manner, or would you have made a choice similar to the one Drew made? Why would you have decided the way you did? What factors would you have considered when making your decision? What do you think would have happened as a result of that decision?
Essay Topic 3
Music is one way of creating powerful, emotional connections to places, people, and events. In the story, guitar music played during the trip is one way James Dickey evokes a sense of the rural South. Discuss what kind of guitar music the author chose for this story, where in the novel the playing of music was used, and what effect hearing that music had on the listeners. Discuss some other ways James Dickey evoked a sense of the rural South. Cite scenes where he used those other methods to enhance the mood.
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)