|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before Lewis arrives to begin the canoe trip, what does Ed's wife do to make Ed feel better?
2. Which employees of the graphics studio does the owner feel most sorry for?
3. Which of the four men discussing the canoe trip leads a normal, suburban life?
4. What does Ed's wife ask him before his departure on the canoe trip?
5. What is Ed looking forward to while the men are discussing the canoe trip during lunch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What's the significance of the owl hunting from Ed's tent the first night?
2. After the rape and the disposal of the body, how does Ed feel when he hears the worst whitewater of the trip ahead of them?
3. After the canoe trip, why is Ed not sorry when Bobby disappears from his life, even though, before the trip, he enjoyed knowing him?
4. After killing the attacker, how does Ed feel when he realizes that Bobby, true to form, hasn't done as he'd promised and taken Lewis to safety at first light?
5. How do the police in Aintry verify the truth of the stories of the men?
6. Preparing to kill their attacker, why does Ed think he may not be capable of actually killing another human being?
7. When the locals arrive with a gun while Ed and Bobby are resting, what does Ed think is the reason for their accosting Bobby and him?
8. On the morning of the second day of the canoe trip, why does Ed miss the buck both times he shoots at him?
9. Why does Ed tell Drew's wife of her loss before getting a good rest at home?
10. Why does Ed react badly when he goes to the hospital to talk to Lewis and sees patrol cars out front?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the trip, Bobby Trippe experienced a terrible traumatic event. Discuss how this may have changed him both during the rest of the canoe trip and afterward. What kind of man was he before the trip? Do you think he is basically the same man after the trip as before? Explain your answer? How long do you think the trauma will remain a part of his personality? Why do you think this?
Essay Topic 2
Sports are associated with competition and are a way of improving one's self. Discuss the various sports Ed and Lewis trained for and had experience in before the novel begins and how those skills come in handy during the events of the trip. Discuss how things might have turned out if neither man possessed those particular skills. If they had no such skills, would the men have survived? If your answer is no, explain the difference their survival skills make. If your answer is "y es," explain how they might have survived.
Essay Topic 3
In the story, Lewis is the leader of the group although his decisions are not always the right ones. When the men search for the Cahulawassee River in order to put their canoes in and begin the journey, Lewis chooses to find the river himself rather than follow men who know the area, which results in his getting the entire group lost. Write a paper in which you discuss at least two of the following points:
1) What qualities make a person a leader?
2) Why is Lewis the leader of this particular group? Do you think he is the best man for the job? Explain your answer.
3) Once the trip is underway, do you think his decisions are good ones? Why or why not?
4) What might happen differently if one of the others is the leader of the group?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)