|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What memory does the sight of a red-and-white drive-in reawaken in Ed as he and Lewis drive past it?
2. What does Lewis think of Ed's bow when he comes to pick him up?
3. What does Ed think about the Kitt's model when he first sees her?
4. How do Ed and his partner divide up the work in their business?
5. To what businesses does the graphics studio mostly cater ?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Aintry sheriff's deputy react so negatively to the men's story?
2. Describe the mood that comes over Ed when he returns to his office and is alone with his thoughts.
3. Why does the sheriff keep asking questions after saying he accepts Ed's story of the accident?
4. After finding the body of the man he shot and realizing he might have shot the wrong man, how does Ed feel?
5. Why is Ed fascinated by the map at the luncheon before the canoe trip?
6. What problem does Drew Ballinger's son have?
7. On the second day of the canoe trip, why does Lewis rearrange the gear to lighten Ed and Bobby's load?
8. How does the canoe trip change Ed's attitude towards his work?
9. How does Ed feel upon learning that Drew was shot?
10. Why does Ed react badly when he goes to the hospital to talk to Lewis and sees patrol cars out front?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This is the story of Ed's transformation from a man drifting through life into a man of action. Write about one of the following:
1) Trace how the author accomplished that transformation through the events that happened to him, telling how his decisions at these moments contribute to his transformation and to his actions afterward. If he had made other decisions, how would those differences affect the structure of the novel?
2) The title of the novel tells its theme, which is followed through several strands of the story. Give at least two ways the title describes what happened to characters in the novel and explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Music is one way of creating powerful, emotional connections to places, people, and events. In the story, guitar music played during the trip is one way James Dickey evokes a sense of the rural South. Discuss what kind of guitar music the author chose for this story, where in the novel the playing of music was used, and what effect hearing that music had on the listeners. Discuss some other ways James Dickey evoked a sense of the rural South. Cite scenes where he used those other methods to enhance the mood.
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used throughout the story. Give examples of foreshadowing in the story, and tell why James Dickey chose to use it there. Does he use the technique well? Explain your answer. Do you think the use of foreshadowing in the story gives away future events unnecessarily? Does it blunt the impact of those events? Explain your answer.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)