|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lewis tell Ed when Ed goes into the river to pull him out of the water after Bobby's and his canoe overturned?
(a) That he saw one of their attackers in the woods.
(b) That his leg is broken.
(c) That the canoes are lost to the group.
(d) That all their supplies were dumped into the river.
2. What does Lewis tell Ed that he must do if they are to survive the canoe trip?
(a) Get help.
(b) Come at their attacker from behind.
(c) That he believes in Ed's ability to get them out alive.
(d) Kill their attacker.
3. What does Lewis want to do with the body of the man he killed?
(a) Take it to the authorities and say they found it in the woods.
(b) Bury it where no one will ever find it.
(c) Sink it in the river and weight it with rocks.
(d) Leave it as a warning for the other man.
4. Why do the men shift some gear to a different canoe on the second day, September 15?
(a) Because Bobby complains.
(b) To have a little of everything in each canoe in case one tips.
(c) Because Bobby can't handle a normal load.
(d) To equalize the load.
5. What new complication turns one member of the group into a liability after both canoes overturn?
(a) Lewis has a broken leg.
(b) Bobby is suffering from hypothermia.
(c) Bobby becomes so traumatized that he refuses to go further.
(d) Lewis hits his head and appears to be concussed.
6. How much hunting experience does Ed have?
(a) No experience hunting deer, but he has hunted other animals.
(b) He's hunted most of his life.
(c) None, he has never hunted before.
(d) A couple of years hunting with buddies without success.
7. Which man shoots first when the shooter at the top of the cliff sees Ed preparing to shoot him?
(a) Ed shoots first, but the shooter's rifle discharges also.
(b) The man with the rifle shoots first, causing Ed's bow to release.
(c) They both shoot at the same time.
(d) In the confusion, it's impossible to tell.
8. In the September 15 section, the first morning, why does Ed hunt in the draw?
(a) The fog in the draw will conceal him from the deer.
(b) Deer usually are found in low-lying areas.
(c) The surrounding hills are too steep to climb.
(d) He can always find his way back to the camp.
9. On the second day of the trip, what does Ed do while Bobby cares for Lewis after Ed drags his friend out of the river?
(a) He retrieves the aluminum canoe and a paddle.
(b) He searches for a limb with which to make a splint for Lewis.
(c) He looks for the man Lewis said shot Drew.
(d) He finds the gear that spilled from the canoes.
10. Why doesn't the shooter kill Ed while he's in the river retrieving the overturned aluminum canoe?
(a) The whitewater is too swift.
(b) He believes the entire group died in the rapids.
(c) The canoe hides Ed from anyone watching from above.
(d) He can't see Ed, who is swimming underwater.
11. Where do the men decide to bury the body of the man Lewis shot?
(a) A day's travel downriver by the river's edge.
(b) Some distance upstream in the woods.
(c) In a deep pool in the river weighted by rocks.
(d) In the rapids where the river will take care of it.
12. How does Ed explain his wound to the doctor who treats him?
(a) The doctor isn't suspicious, so he says nothing.
(b) He says he fell on his knife.
(c) He comes up with a story that is part fact, part fiction.
(d) He convinces the doctor he was hurt in the rapids.
13. What causes the wound in Ed's side after he shoots the man trying to kill him?
(a) A rock from his climb that he hasn't noticed until now.
(b) A tree branch pierces his side as he falls to the ground.
(c) One of his own arrows.
(d) The shooter's shot grazes him.
14. Why doesn't Lewis kill the man as soon as he and Drew arrive where Bobby and Ed are being held at gunpoint?
(a) He had to return to the canoe for his bow and arrows.
(b) It took time to string a bow quietly.
(c) He had to wait until the gun wasn't pointed at Bobby or Ed.
(d) He waited for the perfect shot.
15. What does one of the locals who accosted Bobby and Ed with a gun do to Bobby?
(a) He sodomizes him.
(b) He hits him with the butt of his rifle.
(c) He scares him by shooting, and a bullet grazes Bobby's hair.
(d) He shoves a fist into Bobby's face.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which members of the group get through the rapids generally unhurt?
2. How does Ed get up the cliff?
3. Why don't the men stop at the first opportunity when their canoe reaches civilization?
4. Where does Ed finally seek help when their canoe reaches civilization?
5. How does Ed end up in the river on the second day of the trip?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)