|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lewis think of people living in the rural South?
(a) He doesn't think of them one way or another.
(b) He thinks they are lacking ambition.
(c) He dislikes them intensely.
(d) They are good people but clannish.
2. Alone in his office after the canoe trip was proposed, how does Ed get past his depression?
(a) He doesn't; it plagues him for the rest of the day.
(b) He talks himself out of it.
(c) He gets to work on the day's photo shoot.
(d) He uses deep breathing techniques.
3. What had Ed found attractive about his wife when they first met?
(a) Her genuine spark of personal connection.
(b) He's an artist, and she was a beautiful model.
(c) They shared the same interests.
(d) Everything about her.
4. Which of the four men discussing the canoe trip leads a normal, suburban life?
(a) All of them.
(b) None of them.
(c) Ed and Lewis.
(d) Bobby and Drew.
5. What wakes Ed the morning he is to depart on the canoe trip?
(a) The alarm clock he set the night before.
(b) Martha, his wife.
(c) His eagerness to get going.
(d) The sound of the wind.
6. While driving to Oree, what does Ed tell Lewis about himself?
(a) That he's a get-through-the-day man.
(b) That he's looking forward to the challenge of the trip.
(c) That his life has been empty for some time.
(d) That he cares deeply about his family.
7. Which of the four men going on the canoe trip is very social and well-liked by most people?
8. Why does Lewis tell Ed the story of his lost friend before taking the canoe trip?
(a) To illustrate the values of rural Southerners.
(b) To illustrate the danger of the rural areas along the river.
(c) As a way of passing along survival skills to his friend.
(d) He is bragging.
9. When Ed and Lewis arrive at the Griner brother's garage, what happens to one of the brothers?
(a) He is cut and bleeding.
(b) He barely misses being hit by a bullet when he drops his rifle.
(c) He misjudges an anvil swing and breaks a truck wheel.
(d) He stumbles over an anvil on his way to greet the men.
10. Which of the four men on the canoe trip is a straightforward quiet fellow?
11. What does Drew do after he and Lonnie play a duet?
(a) He offers Lonnie a chance to play in the city.
(b) He turns away in embarrassment because he played poorly.
(c) He gets Lonnie's name and address to look him up later.
(d) He laughs for the sheer joy of having made music.
12. Which employees of the graphics studio does the owner feel most sorry for?
(a) Talented artists who can't follow orders.
(b) Men who lack the talent to rise far in their profession.
(c) Men who have squandered their talent.
(d) Real artists.
13. What camping equipment do Ed and Dean play with in the living room the morning Ed leaves on the canoe trip?
(a) His bow and arrows.
(b) The rope coiled on top of everythng.
(c) A knife.
(d) The sofa pillows; they have a pillow fight.
14. Where is the dam being built that will turn part of the Cahulawassee River into a lake?
(b) Where the river exits Lake Bodie.
(d) A few miles south of Atlanta.
15. On the way to Oree, where does the group have breakfast?
(a) In a little town named Seluca.
(b) They wait until they reach Oree.
(c) To save time, they ate before leaving home.
(d) They eat rolls as they drive.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of musical instrument does the albino boy, Lonnie, play?
2. What does Ed do when the owl hunts from the pole of his tent?
3. On the first day of the canoe trip, for what does Lewis tell Ed he wants to be ready?
4. While driving to Oree, what does Lewis tell Ed?
5. What does Lewis think of Ed's bow when he comes to pick him up?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)