|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carol have Lena do while she's waiting for her visitor in Chapter 19?
2. When Lena finally meet her match, how is he described?
3. Which of the following is NOT a sign of delirium Lena experiences while working in Chapter 15?
4. Who has come to dinner at Lena's house in Chapter 13?
5. How do Alex and Lena walk back into central Portland after visiting the Crypt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lena lean about Alex in the Crypts, which is something they now have in common?
2. How does Lena react to learning her mother is still alive?
3. What happens to Lena when the party in Chapter 14 gets raided?
4. How does Alex react to seeing Lena and Brian together, and what does this say about Lena and Alex's relationship?
5. What new realization does Lena have while traveling through the woods and on the paved road with Alex, toward his house in the Wilds?
6. In Chapter 23, what does Lena propose she and Alex do, and how does Alex respond?
7. Where do Alex and Lena create a sort of 'new home' - at least temporarily - for themselves in Chapter 16?
8. How can the raid next door to Lena's house in Chapter 13 be described?
9. Describe Alex and Lena's plan to successfully sneak out of town and into the Wilds.
10. What do Lena's actions with Hana in Chapter 15 say about her and their friendship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of social status in Lena's society. How important is social status, and how does one change their social status (either up or down)? What does this tell readers about Lena's society?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is a literary device in which an author suggests certain plot developments that might come later in the story. Describe at least three examples of foreshadowing in "Delirium". Why might the author have opted to use foreshadowing? What are the benefits and drawbacks of foreshadowing for the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Love is a consistent presence throughout "Delirium"; what is the role of love in this novel? Explain how Love is portrayed in the book as each of the following:
• A theme
• A disease
• An escape
• A symbol
This section contains 1,208 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)