|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lena's best friend?
2. What is the technical name given to the disease people are now cured of?
3. What does the government in Lena's society deny the existence of?
4. How long ago did Rachel have her procedure?
5. What does Hana write atop her graduation cap?
Short Essay Questions
1. What will happen after Lena's evaluation?
2. What is the surface argument between Hana and Lena in Chapter 8?
3. What major revelation does Alex share about himself with Lena in Chapter 10, and how does Lena react?
4. What is revealed about Lena's mother in Chapter 4?
5. Describe Lena's second evaluation, and what is the outcome?
6. What is Lena's evaluation in Chapter 4 interrupted by?
7. What role does love play in the society Lena lives in?
8. How does Lena feel about her upcoming procedure at the beginning of the book?
9. How does Lena understand the story of Mary Magdalene, and what does this tell readers about the government and religion?
10. What memories does Lena have of her mother, as detailed in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dreams serve a very specific purpose in "Delirium". Explain how the following individuals' dreams reveal more about the characters and the society they live in:
• Lean's dreams
• Aunt Carol's dreams
• Uncle William's Dreams
Essay Topic 2
Love is a consistent presence throughout "Delirium"; what is the role of love in this novel? Explain how Love is portrayed in the book as each of the following:
• A theme
• A disease
• An escape
• A symbol
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is strong throughout "Delirium". Explain the following symbols: what do they stand for? Why is the object selected for the symbol appropriate or not appropriate?
• The herd of cows that interrupt Lena's evaluations.
• Lena's mother's silver necklace
• The Governor statue
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)