|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sometimes sleeps in bed with Lena?
2. How many possible spouses is Lena given after her evaluation in Chapter 11?
3. How does Lena get to the illegal party in Chapter 9?
4. Who does Lena take a photograph with at graduation?
5. "Delirium" is set in which city and state?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Lena and Hana realize about their friendship at the end of Chapter 12, and how does Hana's match solidify this?
2. At the beginning of "Delirium", what does Lena believe happened to her mother?
3. How do Lena and Hana differ, as seen by their behavior before the evaluation?
4. How could Lena's initial evaluation scene be described, before any interruptions?
5. What is suggested by Aunt Carl and Uncle William's dreams?
6. What family secret involving her sister Rachel does Lena share at the beginning of Chapter 11?
7. What does Lena's behavior in Chapter 6 suggest?
8. How did Lena become a runner?
9. What is revealed about Lena's mother in Chapter 4?
10. How does Lena understand the story of Mary Magdalene, and what does this tell readers about the government and religion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does Fear play in "Delirium"? Who feels fear and what are they afraid of? Who/what induces fear intentionally, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Lena uses figurative language throughout the book. Referring to at least three specific examples of Lena using figurative language (an example of personification, metaphor, and simile) determine why the author may have chosen to give Lena this poetic tendency. What does it tell readers about Lena when she talks or thinks poetically?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is a literary device in which an author suggests certain plot developments that might come later in the story. Describe at least three examples of foreshadowing in "Delirium". Why might the author have opted to use foreshadowing? What are the benefits and drawbacks of foreshadowing for the reader?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)