|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lena will be expected to marry right after what?
2. What time is the curfew?
3. What location does Alex make a veiled reference to meet in at 8:30 while talking Hana and Lena in Chapter 5?
4. "Delirium" is set in which city and state?
5. What does Willow Marks get in trouble for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lena become a runner?
2. What is the surface argument between Hana and Lena in Chapter 8?
3. What do readers learn about Grace in Chapter 2?
4. How is Alex introduced to readers? What are some impressions of him?
5. How do Lena and Hana differ, as seen by their behavior before the evaluation?
6. What do Lena and Hana realize about their friendship at the end of Chapter 12, and how does Hana's match solidify this?
7. What major revelation does Alex share about himself with Lena in Chapter 10, and how does Lena react?
8. What will happen after Lena's evaluation?
9. How has Hana managed to find the illegal music she listens to?
10. How could Lena's initial evaluation scene be described, before any interruptions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Empathy and sympathy are both strong emotions seen throughout "Delirium". What is the difference between sympathy and empathy, and what are some examples of each occurring within the novel? Does the novel ever inspire either emotion from readers?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, Lena shares two very special relationships - one with Hana and one with Alex. Compare and contrast Lena's relationship with Hana to Lean's relationship with Alex. What do they have in common? How are they different? What does Lena learn from each relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Determine which narrative mode "Delirium" is written in. From whose point of view is the story told, and what are the benefits and drawbacks of this narrative mode?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)