|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who escapes in the minivan in Chapter 24: “Scotty is Surprised”?
2. Who does the man from the newspaper say had told him some things about the working conditions at Delicious Foods in Chapter 19: "The Wrong Limes"?
3. What is the name of the company that Sextus officially ran?
4. Who drives the escape vehicle in Chapter 23: “Gators”?
5. What kind of car do Eddie and his fellow escapees reach to leave Delicious Foods in Chapter 23: “Gators”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eddie respond when he is given his own workshop in Chapter 18: “How”?
2. Why does Darlene move to Shreveport in Chapter 28: “Almost Home”?
3. What is Eddie's punishment in Chapter 17: “Your Punishment”?
4. What does Eddie learn when he first hears from Darlene after his escape in Chapter 25: “Summerton Revisited”?
5. What leads to the conflict with Sextus and How in the end of Chapter 23: “Gators”?
6. Where do the escapees travel to get to the Subaru in Chapter 23: “Gators”?
7. What information is Eddie able to obtain for Michelle in Chapter 18: “How”?
8. How is Darlene's encounter with the reporters described in Chapter 19: “The Wrong Limes”?
9. What is revealed of How's past in Chapter 18: “How”?
10. What is the significance of the "tractor scene" in Chapter 25: “Summerton Revisited”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of "hoodoo" or superstitions in the novel. What are some examples of characters believing in superstitions? How does superstition guide these characters' actions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the death of Nat, Eddie's father. When was Nat murdered? Where was he murdered? Why was he murdered?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the narrative style of Delicious Foods. How does the narrative style transition between each chapter? Why does it transition? How does the author indicate who narrates each chapter?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)