|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Nicaraguan worker who "got real sick off the pesticides and then vanished" in Chapter 15: “Inertia”?
2. Who are the anchorpeople described that host the morning news in Chapter 26: "Chronicle"?
3. Who does Jarvis encounter and distract at the depot in Chapter 21: “The Plan”?
4. How much money does Jequita claim she owes the company when Darlene frees the captives?
5. What do the overseers do after catching Michelle trying to escape in Chapter 15: “Inertia”?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Jarvis and what is his relationship to Sirius in the novel?
2. How does Darlene prepare for her first visit to the estate in Chapter 16: “Summerton”?
3. What does Darlene vow to Scotty in Chapter 27: “Trials”? Why?
4. Why does Darlene move to Shreveport in Chapter 28: “Almost Home”?
5. What is significant about the narrative style in Chapter 28: “Almost Home”?
6. What inner conflicts does Eddie face regarding potential advancement in the company in Chapter 18: “How”?
7. What is revealed of How's past in Chapter 18: “How”?
8. What leads to the conflict with Sextus and How in the end of Chapter 23: “Gators”?
9. What information is Eddie able to obtain for Michelle in Chapter 18: “How”?
10. What does Scotty reveal about Darlene's work at Delicious after the escape in Chapter 27: “Trials”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the outcome of the trial and its aftermath. What sentence does Sextus receive for his crimes? Where does his family move? Where does Darlene move? How does her life change?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Sirius in the novel. What kind of relationship does Sirius form with Darlene? What happens to Sirius after he leaves Delicious Foods? How and why does he return?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the plot structure of Delicious Foods. Where in the narrative does the exposition transition to rising action? Where does the climax occur? What information is revealed in the falling action and denouement?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)