|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who works as the chief of maintenance on Delicious Foods in Chapter 16: "Summerton"?
2. Who does the man in the white car introduce himself as to Darlene in Chapter 19: "The Wrong Limes"?
3. What overseer does Sextus say has a problem with the pipe in Chapter 18: "How"?
4. What does Darlene say happened to Michelle when she calls Eddie in Chapter 25: “Summerton Revisited”?
5. How much money does Michelle say she owes to Delicious Foods when she talks about escaping in Chapter 15: “Inertia”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Eddie's punishment in Chapter 17: “Your Punishment”?
2. How does Darlene prepare for her first visit to the estate in Chapter 16: “Summerton”?
3. Who is Jarvis and what is his relationship to Sirius in the novel?
4. How does Darlene react when she sees the news story in Chapter 26: “Chronicle”?
5. How does Eddie respond when he is given his own workshop in Chapter 18: “How”?
6. When and where does Chapter 26: “Chronicle” take place?
7. How is Darlene's encounter with the reporters described in Chapter 19: “The Wrong Limes”?
8. What inner conflicts does Eddie face regarding potential advancement in the company in Chapter 18: “How”?
9. What does Tuck discover when he comes to find Eddie in Chapter 21: “The Plan”?
10. What is revealed of How's past in Chapter 18: “How”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of addiction in Delicious Foods. How does the author illustrate this theme through character, setting, symbolism, and imagery? What role does addiction play in the plot of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the characters of Jackie and How in the novel. Where do Jackie and How live? What are their relationships like with the workers? What are their positions on the farm?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the setting of Delicious Foods Farm. Where is the farm located? How are the living quarters for the workers described? How large is the farm?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)