|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What overseer does Sextus describe as "batshit psycho crazy" in Chapter 18: "How"?
2. Who initially begins screaming over the news broadcast in Chapter 26: "Chronicle"?
3. What is the first town where Eddie stops when he escapes Delicious Farms?
4. In what parish do the Fusiliers live and have influence?
5. How long does it take for the investigators to take Sextus to trial, according to the narrator in Chapter 27: "Trials"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the relationship between Darlene and Sextus described in Chapter 16: “Summerton"?
2. What is revealed of Sirius's life after his escape from Delicious in Chapter 21: “The Plan”?
3. What does Eddie learn when he first hears from Darlene after his escape in Chapter 25: “Summerton Revisited”?
4. How old is Eddie when he signs the contract at Delicious? Why does he sign it?
5. What is the significance of the "tractor scene" in Chapter 25: “Summerton Revisited”?
6. How does the narrator describe Eddie's later thoughts on losing his hands in Chapter 22: “We Could Get You Free”?
7. What inner conflicts does Eddie face regarding potential advancement in the company in Chapter 18: “How”?
8. Why does Darlene move to Shreveport in Chapter 28: “Almost Home”?
9. What does Scotty reveal about Darlene's work at Delicious after the escape in Chapter 27: “Trials”?
10. What does Darlene vow to Scotty in Chapter 27: “Trials”? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the narrative style of Delicious Foods. How does the narrative style transition between each chapter? Why does it transition? How does the author indicate who narrates each chapter?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Scotty in Delicious Foods. What is Scotty a personification of? How is this revealed? What happens to Scotty in the course of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of deception and betrayal in Delicious Foods. What are examples of deceptions committed by Darlene? What are betrayals that occur in the course of the novel? How are these themes supported through symbolism and imagery?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)