|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Darlene and Eddie's landlord in Chapter 6: "Your Own Cord"?
2. For how long are Eddie and Tuck kept at the barn in quarantine when they arrive at Delicious Foods Farm?
3. Where does Eddie's mother rush off to after learning of her husband's death in Chapter 5: “Show Us the Planets”?
4. Where does Nat meet Darling at an expensive bed-and-breakfast while Hazel is away playing basketball in Chapter 3: "Conjure"?
5. What kind of car hits Tuck when he is hit by a drunk driver?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Eddie's life in Houston described in Chapter 2: “Blackbirds”?
2. From what narrative perspective is the Prologue: "Little Muddy" related?
3. Where do Eddie and Tuck meet Jackie and how is this encounter described in Chapter 10: “Drunken Bum Knows”?
4. Who was Sparkplug McKeon and what warning did he give Nat in Chapter 3: “Conjure”?
5. What do Darlene's yellow shoes come to represent symbolically to her?
6. What led to Darlene's teeth being knocked out in Chapter 1: “Braindancing”?
7. How does Sirius escape in Chapter 9: “An Improvement”?
8. What encounter is described between Eddie and Nacho Vasquez in Chapter 6: “Your Own Cord”?
9. How are the workers' wages at Delicious described in Chapter 9: “An Improvement”?
10. When does Darlene first "meet" Scotty? How is this encounter described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the elements of symbolism and imagery in Delicious Foods. What do Darlene's yellow shoes represent symbolically? How is Charlie the rat employed as a symbol in the novel? What are other prominent symbols and images?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of "hoodoo" or superstitions in the novel. What are some examples of characters believing in superstitions? How does superstition guide these characters' actions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the outcome of the trial and its aftermath. What sentence does Sextus receive for his crimes? Where does his family move? Where does Darlene move? How does her life change?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)