|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Eddie find in the wallet in the Prologue: "Little Muddy"?
2. Whose back does Darlene caress when the minibus arrived at the farm in Chapter 7: “Who is Delicious?”
3. What does Eddie's mother throw at his face and bruise him in the year after his father died in Chapter 5: “Show Us the Planets”?
4. Who brings up the idea of the barn by the depot as a quarantine in Chapter 12: "Obeah Juju"?
5. What is the star called that is a diamond, according to Sirius in Chapter 9: “An Improvement”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Eddie regarded by the police on his first visit in Chapter 6: “Your Own Cord”?
2. From what narrative perspective is the Prologue: "Little Muddy" related?
3. When does Darlene first "meet" Scotty? How is this encounter described?
4. Why are Tuck and Eddie taken to the separate barn when they arrive at Delicious?
5. How is Darlene's behavior after Nat's death described in Chapter 8: “Driftwood”?
6. Why did Nat and Darlene move to Ovis? How is this setting described?
7. How are the accommodations at Delicious Foods described?
8. What happens when Sextus asks about Eddie's age in Chapter 14: “Lost Years”?
9. How does Eddie manage to track down Bethella in the Prologue: "Little Muddy"?
10. What led to Darlene's teeth being knocked out in Chapter 1: “Braindancing”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Darlene in Delicious Foods. What is revealed of Darlene's past through exposition? When did Darlene have Eddie? What happened to Darlene's husband?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the outcome of the trial and its aftermath. What sentence does Sextus receive for his crimes? Where does his family move? Where does Darlene move? How does her life change?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the elements of symbolism and imagery in Delicious Foods. What do Darlene's yellow shoes represent symbolically? How is Charlie the rat employed as a symbol in the novel? What are other prominent symbols and images?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)