|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Eddie's mother rush off to after learning of her husband's death in Chapter 5: “Show Us the Planets”?
2. What kind of vehicle is Eddie driving in the Prologue: "Little Muddy"?
3. Where is the rock star that has shot himself in the Prologue: "Little Muddy"?
4. Where was Sirius living when he started a hip-hop group?
5. How has Eddie been injured in the Prologue: "Little Muddy"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What foreshadowing is related in Chapter 11: “Eclipse”?
2. What does Darlene see Jackie doing at night in Chapter 11: “Eclipse”?
3. Why does Darlene choose to work with the men when she arrives at Delicious? What do they do?
4. Where does Tuck say Darlene had gone when speaking to Eddie in Chapter 10: “Drunken Bum Knows”?
5. Where do Eddie and Tuck meet Jackie and how is this encounter described in Chapter 10: “Drunken Bum Knows”?
6. When does Darlene first "meet" Scotty? How is this encounter described?
7. How is Eddie's life in Houston described in Chapter 2: “Blackbirds”?
8. What do Darlene's yellow shoes come to represent symbolically to her?
9. How does the narrator describe the journey in the minivan when Darlene went to Delicious Foods?
10. How does Eddie manage to track down Bethella in the Prologue: "Little Muddy"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the characters of Jackie and How in the novel. Where do Jackie and How live? What are their relationships like with the workers? What are their positions on the farm?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Eddie in the novel. How old is Eddie when the story begins? What has happened to Eddie in the prologue? What is the outcome for Eddie in the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of deception and betrayal in Delicious Foods. What are examples of deceptions committed by Darlene? What are betrayals that occur in the course of the novel? How are these themes supported through symbolism and imagery?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)