|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Darlene's roommate in college?
2. Who claims it is bad luck to hit a chicken in Chapter 7: “Who is Delicious?”
3. Where is Tuck when he is hit by a drunk driver?
4. Who is described as Eddie's schoolteacher in Chapter 6: "Your Own Cord"?
5. How much money does Eddie find in the wallet in the Prologue: "Little Muddy"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about Tuck's past in Chapter 12: “Obeah Juju”?
2. What happens when Sextus asks about Eddie's age in Chapter 14: “Lost Years”?
3. Who was Sparkplug McKeon and what warning did he give Nat in Chapter 3: “Conjure”?
4. How did Darlene meet Nat?
5. Where do Eddie and Tuck meet Jackie and how is this encounter described in Chapter 10: “Drunken Bum Knows”?
6. What does Darlene see Jackie doing at night in Chapter 11: “Eclipse”?
7. How are the workers' wages at Delicious described in Chapter 9: “An Improvement”?
8. How is Eddie regarded by the police on his first visit in Chapter 6: “Your Own Cord”?
9. How is Eddie's life in Houston described in Chapter 2: “Blackbirds”?
10. Why are Tuck and Eddie taken to the separate barn when they arrive at Delicious?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of irony in Delicious Foods. What are examples of verbal irony in the narrative? What are examples of dramatic irony? What are examples of situational irony? What purpose do these examples serve?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the characters of TT and Michelle in the novel How old are these characters? How would you describe their personalities? What are their relationships to the protagonists?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of addiction in Delicious Foods. How does the author illustrate this theme through character, setting, symbolism, and imagery? What role does addiction play in the plot of the novel?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)