|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Darlene's roommate in college?
2. Who brings up the idea of the barn by the depot as a quarantine in Chapter 12: "Obeah Juju"?
3. Who is Darlene's boss that introduces her to crack cocaine?
4. What is Sirius's real name?
5. How old is Eddie when he awoke to find that his father has not come home in Chapter 5: “Show Us the Planets”?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Darlene encounter Jackie? How does Jackie convince Darlene to get in the minivan?
2. What is revealed about Tuck's past in Chapter 12: “Obeah Juju”?
3. What led to Darlene's teeth being knocked out in Chapter 1: “Braindancing”?
4. Where does Tuck say Darlene had gone when speaking to Eddie in Chapter 10: “Drunken Bum Knows”?
5. How does Eddie manage to track down Bethella in the Prologue: "Little Muddy"?
6. Why are Tuck and Eddie taken to the separate barn when they arrive at Delicious?
7. When does Darlene first "meet" Scotty? How is this encounter described?
8. What encounter is described between Eddie and Nacho Vasquez in Chapter 6: “Your Own Cord”?
9. What happens when Sextus asks about Eddie's age in Chapter 14: “Lost Years”?
10. What do Darlene's yellow shoes come to represent symbolically to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of contemporary slavery in Delicious Foods. How have the characters in the novel come to be enslaved? What tactics are used in the narrative to ensure they do not escape? How common is slavery within the food industry?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the characters of Jackie and How in the novel. Where do Jackie and How live? What are their relationships like with the workers? What are their positions on the farm?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of deception and betrayal in Delicious Foods. What are examples of deceptions committed by Darlene? What are betrayals that occur in the course of the novel? How are these themes supported through symbolism and imagery?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)