|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the star called that is a diamond, according to Sirius in Chapter 9: “An Improvement”?
2. What is Eddie's last name?
3. Who teaches Eddie an elaborate soul handshake when he arrives at the farm in Chapter 14: "Lost Years"?
4. About how much money do the workers on Delicious Farms earn each day?
5. Who is Darlene's boss that introduces her to crack cocaine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Tuck and Eddie taken to the separate barn when they arrive at Delicious?
2. How is Eddie's life in Houston described in Chapter 2: “Blackbirds”?
3. How are the accommodations at Delicious Foods described?
4. How does Sparkplug describe Nat's murder to Eddie before he dies?
5. What are Eddie's circumstances as he drives the Subaru in the Prologue: "Little Muddy"?
6. What do Darlene's yellow shoes come to represent symbolically to her?
7. Who was Sparkplug McKeon and what warning did he give Nat in Chapter 3: “Conjure”?
8. What encounter is described between Eddie and Nacho Vasquez in Chapter 6: “Your Own Cord”?
9. Where does Tuck say Darlene had gone when speaking to Eddie in Chapter 10: “Drunken Bum Knows”?
10. Where do Eddie and Tuck meet Jackie and how is this encounter described in Chapter 10: “Drunken Bum Knows”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the violence and abuse seen in Delicious Foods. What are examples from the book where extreme violence is depicted? How is it depicted? Do you think this aspect of the novel is important? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the characters of Jackie and How in the novel. Where do Jackie and How live? What are their relationships like with the workers? What are their positions on the farm?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Scotty in Delicious Foods. What is Scotty a personification of? How is this revealed? What happens to Scotty in the course of the story?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)