|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Sparkplug in a hospital when he dies?
(a) Ovis, Louisiana.
(b) Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
(c) Delhi, Louisiana.
(d) Houston, Texas.
2. Who is described as Eddie's schoolteacher in Chapter 6: "Your Own Cord"?
(a) Mr. Woods.
(b) Mr. Arceneaux.
(c) Mr. Gono.
(d) Mrs. Sanders.
3. In what Houston neighborhood does Eddie live with his mother when she goes missing in Chapter 6: "Your Own Cord"?
(a) The Ninth Ward.
(b) The Third Ward.
(c) The Sixth Ward.
(d) The Fifth Ward.
4. What does the narrator describe Darlene wearing as a belt in Chapter 12: “Obeah Juju"?
(a) A rope.
(b) A ribbon.
(c) A torn sheet.
(d) A vine.
5. What is the name of the town where the workers are taken to the depot in Chapter 9: “An Improvement”?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the doctor that Bethella takes Eddie to see in the Prologue: "Little Muddy"?
2. How much does Darlene get docked for missing roll call on her first day at the farm?
3. How many miles away does Jackie say the closest phone is for Darlene to call Eddie in Chapter 7: “Who is Delicious?”
4. Who is Bethella's husband that died from a bad heart?
5. Whose phone number does Eddie leave with the police in Chapter 6: "Your Own Cord"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Nat and Darlene move to Ovis? How is this setting described?
2. How is Darlene's behavior after Nat's death described in Chapter 8: “Driftwood”?
3. From what narrative perspective is the Prologue: "Little Muddy" related?
4. How does Sparkplug describe Nat's murder to Eddie before he dies?
5. What led to Darlene's teeth being knocked out in Chapter 1: “Braindancing”?
6. When does Darlene first "meet" Scotty? How is this encounter described?
7. What led Darlene and Nat to transfer to a different college?
8. How does the narrator describe the journey in the minivan when Darlene went to Delicious Foods?
9. Where does Darlene encounter Jackie? How does Jackie convince Darlene to get in the minivan?
10. What is revealed about Tuck's past in Chapter 12: “Obeah Juju”?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)