|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who hands out the workers' pay in Chapter 9: “An Improvement”?
2. How many people are in the room at the chicken farm sleeping when Darlene arrives in Chapter 7: “Who is Delicious?”
3. What did Sirius want to study to become when he was young?
(a) A farmer or biologist.
(b) A rock climber.
(c) A teacher or historian.
(d) An astronomer or meteorologist.
4. Whose old boots does Jackie give to Darlene when she starts working at the farm?
5. Who pledges to make a report against How for manhandling Eddie in Chapter 14: "Lost Years"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scotty describe the crack cocaine having been cut with in Chapter 7: “Who is Delicious?”
2. What character is described in Chapter 9: “An Improvement” as keeping "a piece of paper under his hat and wrote down damn near every debt he got and every vegetable he done picked"?
3. What is the name of the waitress who tends to Eddie at the diner off I-94 in the Prologue: "Little Muddy"?
4. What is the star called that is a diamond, according to Sirius in Chapter 9: “An Improvement”?
5. Nat is described in Chapter 3: "Conjure" as "an impossibly attractive tall man who moved with the alien grace of" what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Eddie's life in Houston described in Chapter 2: “Blackbirds”?
2. Where do Eddie and Tuck meet Jackie and how is this encounter described in Chapter 10: “Drunken Bum Knows”?
3. From what narrative perspective is the Prologue: "Little Muddy" related?
4. How are the workers' wages at Delicious described in Chapter 9: “An Improvement”?
5. What is revealed about Tuck's past in Chapter 12: “Obeah Juju”?
6. Where does Tuck say Darlene had gone when speaking to Eddie in Chapter 10: “Drunken Bum Knows”?
7. What encounter is described between Eddie and Nacho Vasquez in Chapter 6: “Your Own Cord”?
8. From what narrative perspective is Chapter 1: “Braindancing” related?
9. How does Eddie manage to track down Bethella in the Prologue: "Little Muddy"?
10. What do Darlene's yellow shoes come to represent symbolically to her?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)