|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Agnes, which of the following does not fall within the responsibility of a woman in a marriage?
2. When does Agnes prefer to deal with Julia's distress?
3. Agnes tells Tobias that it was ___________ and nice to have him in her bed last night.
4. Agnes is happy to be a _________________ if it will keep her family together.
5. How did Tobias sleep last night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the play's title. What did the author mean by calling the play A DELICATE BALANCE? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Alcohol abuse seems to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the abuse? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? How does it affect the abusers? How does it affect those impacted by the abusers? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Albee use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 222 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)