|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tobias offer to do?
2. Tobias recalls ______________ who stopped loving him.
3. Which character seems to be the only steady person in the house?
4. Why is Julia returning home?
5. What is Agnes pondering as Act 1 begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the topic that Agnes ponders out loud?
2. What is the setting for Act 2, Scene 2 and which characters are present as the scene opens?
3. Explain the veneer of Tobias's ability to love.
4. Why does Julia feel Harry and Edna's presence is unwarranted?
5. What insight does Agnes share with Tobias regarding his role in Julia's irresponsible behavior?
6. What temporarily buoys the spirits of the people in the living room?
7. What is the outlook for Tobias's mental state?
8. How does Julia show her immaturity toward her relationship with her father?
9. What does Julia say to Tobias in retaliation for his comment about her failed marriages?
10. What is the setting for Act 3 and which characters are present as the scene opens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of married women in the 1960s when the women in the novel are living their married lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do the have? What freedoms did they have that twenty-first century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Albee uses more than one instance of irony in the book. One example is the clarity with which the alcoholic Claire can view life. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Tobias and Harry. What are their roles within the group of women? What is the trust factor with the women? What are the reasons the women love each of these men who are so dramatically different?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)