|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Surprisingly, Doug is even against whom?
2. Tobias tells Julia that Agnes and Tobias are ____________________.
3. Why can Agnes not go mad?
4. How old is Tobias?
5. With whom does the person in #67 pick fights?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is so shocking about Julia's return to the group in the living room?
2. What does Agnes cite as the beginning of her marriage to Tobias?
3. What does Julia say to Tobias in retaliation for his comment about her failed marriages?
4. Why is Agnes and Tobias's daughter, Julia, coming home again?
5. What reasons does Agnes give for lashing out at Claire?
6. How does Julia serve as the tipping point for Tobias's tolerance?
7. Explain Agnes's perspective on daylight.
8. What prompts the unexpected arrival of Edna and Harry?
9. Who does Julia direct her anger toward next?
10. How does Edna retaliate against Julia for her rude behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Tobias, Agnes, Julia, Claire, Harry and Edna. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 2
A DELICATE BALANCE is a classic escape from reality story. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Agnes seems to be the character who maintains the delicate balance in the play. How does Agnes do this? What is her internal code? What does Agnes do when things seem in danger or reaching a tipping point? Explain.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)