|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Agnes chastise Tobias?
2. According to Agnes, if you can entertain the idea of going mad, ________________________________.
3. Who arrives at Agnes and Tobias's house unexpectedly?
4. How old is Agnes?
5. Why do Harry and Edna emerge?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Edna retaliate against Julia for her rude behavior?
2. What does Agnes instinctively know about her guests and the chaos currently in her home?
3. What is the setting for Act 2, Scene 2 and which characters are present as the scene opens?
4. What is the simile that Tobias uses to describe Julia's marriages?
5. Why does Julia feel Harry and Edna's presence is unwarranted?
6. What temporarily buoys the spirits of the people in the living room?
7. What is the setting for Act 3 and which characters are present as the scene opens?
8. What does Agnes consider to be a woman's responsibility in a marriage?
9. What is the setting for Act 1 of A DELICATE BALANCE?
10. How does Julia show her immaturity toward her relationship with her father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Escape from reality is an important theme in the story. Cite at least three examples of how the characters attempt to escape from reality.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Agnes. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Albee use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)