|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Agnes given away in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. Claire asks Tobias why he no longer has _________________________.
3. Who enters the room and joins in the current conversation?
4. What is the format of A DELICATE BALANCE?
5. Tobias ignores Julia's ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Agnes so leery of Julia's arrival?
2. How do Tobias and Agnes deal with Julia's fit of hysterics?
3. Who is the voice of calm and reason in Act 2, Scene 2?
4. What is the topic that Agnes ponders out loud?
5. What does Julia say to Tobias in retaliation for his comment about her failed marriages?
6. What does Julia do when Tobias tries to get her to understand that she is responsible for her life?
7. What gesture does Tobias offer to make for Julia regarding her marriage?
8. How does Claire retaliate against Tobias for asking her about Alcoholics Anonymous?
9. How does Tobias respond to Agnes talk about going mad?
10. What does Agnes reveal about her previous night's sleep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Escape from reality is an important theme in the story. Cite at least three examples of how the characters attempt to escape from reality.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Julia. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Tobias and Harry. What are their roles within the group of women? What is the trust factor with the women? What are the reasons the women love each of these men who are so dramatically different?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)