|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tobias recalls ______________ who stopped loving him.
2. Who is Agnes's sister?
3. What is Tobias's response to what Agnes says about "when it will begin"?
4. Tobias is tired of Julia showing up at the house with __________________.
5. Tobias tells Agnes that she _________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Julia say to Tobias in retaliation for his comment about her failed marriages?
2. Who emerges as the voice of reason and calm in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. How old are Agnes and Tobias?
4. What does Julia do when Tobias tries to get her to understand that she is responsible for her life?
5. How does Tobias respond to Agnes talk about going mad?
6. What surprise do Harry and Edna reveal after saying their goodbyes to everyone?
7. Why are Tobias and Agnes pleased to have Harry and Edna leave their home in the end?
8. How does Tobias reach his breaking point with the bickering women this morning?
9. What is the topic that Agnes ponders out loud?
10. What does Agnes feel about Claire and how is that reflected in their communications?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of married women in the 1960s when the women in the novel are living their married lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do the have? What freedoms did they have that twenty-first century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Agnes seems to be the character who maintains the delicate balance in the play. How does Agnes do this? What is her internal code? What does Agnes do when things seem in danger or reaching a tipping point? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the play's title. What did the author mean by calling the play A DELICATE BALANCE? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)