|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Tobias, Agnes will be the ________________ to plunge into any depths of madness.
2. According to Agnes, it is ruined love and _____________________ that make her lash out at Claire.
3. Why can Agnes not go mad?
4. Which character seems to be the only steady person in the house?
5. Who leaves the room during a conversation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What temporarily buoys the spirits of the people in the living room?
2. How does Claire respond to Tobias asking her about Alcoholics Anonymous?
3. What are Julia's comments about the evening's dinner?
4. How do Tobias and Agnes deal with Julia's fit of hysterics?
5. How does Tobias respond after hearing Harry's perspective on their friendship?
6. Julia arrives home but does not understand something she encounters. What is it?
7. What is the topic that Agnes ponders out loud?
8. How have Harry and Edna behaved since they have arrived at Agnes and Tobias's house?
9. What does Agnes ask of Tobias regarding Julia's marriage?
10. Explain the veneer of Tobias's ability to love.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A DELICATE BALANCE is a classic escape from reality story. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Tobias. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Agnes seems to be the character who maintains the delicate balance in the play. How does Agnes do this? What is her internal code? What does Agnes do when things seem in danger or reaching a tipping point? Explain.
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)