|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tobias tell Julia she can no longer do?
2. What is the location of the play?
3. Where is Claire staying?
4. To whom has Agnes given away the item in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. Harry and Edna give no real reason for _______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Julia's comments about the evening's dinner?
2. What does Julia say to Tobias in retaliation for his comment about her failed marriages?
3. What does Agnes reveal about her previous night's sleep?
4. How does Claire respond to Tobias asking her about Alcoholics Anonymous?
5. What is the simile that Tobias uses to describe Julia's marriages?
6. Who is the voice of calm and reason in Act 2, Scene 2?
7. How does Tobias respond when Julia picks on him?
8. How does Tobias respond to Agnes talk about going mad?
9. What does Agnes feel about Claire and how is that reflected in their communications?
10. What reasons does Agnes give for lashing out at Claire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alcohol takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
There is much symbolism in this story regarding Julia's bedroom. What does the room symbolize for Julia? What does it mean for Harry and Edna? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Albee uses more than one instance of irony in the book. One example is the clarity with which the alcoholic Claire can view life. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)