|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Agnes leaves the room to call whom?
2. With whom does the person in #67 pick fights?
3. Harry and Edna give no real reason for _______________________.
4. According to Agnes, it is ruined love and _____________________ that make her lash out at Claire.
5. How old is Agnes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What special quality does Agnes feel she has regarding the family?
2. What temporarily buoys the spirits of the people in the living room?
3. What does Agnes feel about Claire and how is that reflected in their communications?
4. What is the simile that Tobias uses to describe Julia's marriages?
5. What does Agnes consider to be a woman's responsibility in a marriage?
6. Julia arrives home but does not understand something she encounters. What is it?
7. What is the topic that Agnes ponders out loud?
8. What is the setting for Act 2, Scene 2 and which characters are present as the scene opens?
9. Explain Agnes's perspective on daylight.
10. What does Julia say to Tobias in retaliation for his comment about her failed marriages?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Julia. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Albee uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the play. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Escape from reality is an important theme in the story. Cite at least three examples of how the characters attempt to escape from reality.
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)