|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Surprisingly, Doug is even against whom?
2. Who is questioning Agnes as Act 2, Scene 1 opens?
3. Why does Agnes chastise Tobias?
4. Who is Julia's husband?
5. What about Harry and Edna baffles Julia in Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Julia looking for from Tobias?
2. What incident serves as some comedic relief during another one of Julia's whining episodes?
3. How do Tobias and Agnes deal with Julia's fit of hysterics?
4. How does Edna retaliate against Julia for her rude behavior?
5. For what reason does Agnes take such a resolute position regarding her family?
6. Why does Julia feel Harry and Edna's presence is unwarranted?
7. What is the topic that Agnes ponders out loud?
8. Why is Agnes and Tobias's daughter, Julia, coming home again?
9. What is the topic that supersedes Agnes's obsession with madness?
10. How does Agnes exhibit that she is so out of tune with her daughter's distress?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Tobias and Harry. What are their roles within the group of women? What is the trust factor with the women? What are the reasons the women love each of these men who are so dramatically different?
Essay Topic 2
Escape from reality is an important theme in the story. Cite at least three examples of how the characters attempt to escape from reality.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Julia. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)