|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julia consider Tobias to be now?
2. Who arrives at Agnes and Tobias's house unexpectedly?
3. Harry and Edna are ____________________.
4. What is Agnes pondering as Act 1 begins?
5. Why does Agnes chastise Tobias?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the outlook for Tobias's mental state?
2. Explain Agnes's perspective on daylight.
3. How does Agnes distance herself from the responsibility of how to manage the people in the house?
4. Who is the voice of calm and reason in Act 2, Scene 2?
5. What is Julia looking for from Tobias?
6. Who does Julia direct her anger toward next?
7. What is the topic that supersedes Agnes's obsession with madness?
8. What does Agnes ask of Tobias regarding Julia's marriage?
9. What temporarily buoys the spirits of the people in the living room?
10. How does Edna retaliate against Julia for her rude behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Tobias and Harry. What are their roles within the group of women? What is the trust factor with the women? What are the reasons the women love each of these men who are so dramatically different?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Albee use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Escape from reality is an important theme in the story. Cite at least three examples of how the characters attempt to escape from reality.
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)