|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Tobias?
2. Overall, Tobias feels ____________ about Claire's life.
3. What is the location of the play?
4. Why does Agnes leave the room?
5. Tobias ignores Julia's ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tobias offer to do for Julia in spite of her snide comments toward him?
2. What does Julia say to Tobias in retaliation for his comment about her failed marriages?
3. What is so shocking about Julia's return to the group in the living room?
4. What does Agnes consider to be a woman's responsibility in a marriage?
5. How have Harry and Edna behaved since they have arrived at Agnes and Tobias's house?
6. How does Agnes exhibit that she is so out of tune with her daughter's distress?
7. How does Claire retaliate against Tobias for asking her about Alcoholics Anonymous?
8. What is the simile that Tobias uses to describe Julia's marriages?
9. What announcements does Edna make regarding the bedroom?
10. Why are Tobias and Agnes pleased to have Harry and Edna leave their home in the end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Tobias. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Escape from reality is an important theme in the story. Cite at least three examples of how the characters attempt to escape from reality.
Essay Topic 3
The play seems to come full circle from Agnes's musings about going mad in the beginning of the play, to the end where Agnes says that people sleep at night because they are afraid of the darkness. ''They say we sleep to let the demons out--to let the mind go raving mad. . . . And when the daylight comes again . . . comes order with it.'' Is Agnes satisfied with the order of things as the play ends? Explain.
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)