|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom has Agnes given away the item in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. What is Agnes pondering as Act 1 begins?
3. What is the setting for Act 1?
4. According to Julia, Doug is opposed to _______________.
5. From what room do Harry and Edna emerge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tobias offer to do for Julia in spite of her snide comments toward him?
2. What role does Agnes feel she has in Julia's continuing disappointments?
3. Why is Agnes so leery of Julia's arrival?
4. Why are Tobias and Agnes pleased to have Harry and Edna leave their home in the end?
5. What is the topic that Agnes ponders out loud?
6. What insight does Agnes share with Tobias regarding his role in Julia's irresponsible behavior?
7. What does Tobias say about his previous night?
8. What is the setting for Act 1 of A DELICATE BALANCE?
9. How does Tobias respond after hearing Harry's perspective on their friendship?
10. What incident serves as some comedic relief during another one of Julia's whining episodes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Albee uses more than one instance of irony in the book. One example is the clarity with which the alcoholic Claire can view life. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of married women in the 1960s when the women in the novel are living their married lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do the have? What freedoms did they have that twenty-first century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
There is much symbolism in this story regarding Julia's bedroom. What does the room symbolize for Julia? What does it mean for Harry and Edna? Explain.
This section contains 1,369 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)