|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Agnes and Tobias drinking?
2. Tobias is tired of Julia showing up at the house with __________________.
3. What does Claire say is the only thing Tobias has in common with his best friend?
4. According to Tobias, Agnes will be the ________________ to plunge into any depths of madness.
5. What does Tobias give Julia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Agnes and Tobias's main points when considering whether or not to ask Harry and Edna to leave?
2. What is the simile that Tobias uses to describe Julia's marriages?
3. How have Harry and Edna behaved since they have arrived at Agnes and Tobias's house?
4. Why are Tobias and Agnes pleased to have Harry and Edna leave their home in the end?
5. What does Tobias say about his previous night?
6. What prompts the unexpected arrival of Edna and Harry?
7. What is the outlook for Tobias's mental state?
8. What is Thomas reminded of when asked to speak to Julia and her husband?
9. Why is Agnes so leery of Julia's arrival?
10. What does Agnes ask of Tobias regarding Julia's marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Tobias, Agnes, Julia, Claire, Harry and Edna. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of married women in the 1960s when the women in the novel are living their married lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do the have? What freedoms did they have that twenty-first century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Agnes. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)