|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Claire staying?
2. Why are Harry and Edna going home?
3. To what city does Tobias say he will move because it is sunny all the time?
4. Claire apologizes to Agnes for bringing out such ____________ in Agnes.
5. According to Agnes, if you can entertain the idea of going mad, ________________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting for Act 2, Scene 2 and which characters are present as the scene opens?
2. What does Agnes reveal about her previous night's sleep?
3. What does Tobias offer to do for Julia in spite of her snide comments toward him?
4. How does Claire retaliate against Tobias for asking her about Alcoholics Anonymous?
5. What is the topic that supersedes Agnes's obsession with madness?
6. What does Julia say to Tobias in retaliation for his comment about her failed marriages?
7. Julia arrives home but does not understand something she encounters. What is it?
8. How does Agnes exhibit that she is so out of tune with her daughter's distress?
9. Why is Agnes and Tobias's daughter, Julia, coming home again?
10. What is so shocking about Julia's return to the group in the living room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Tobias. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
There is much symbolism in this story regarding Julia's bedroom. What does the room symbolize for Julia? What does it mean for Harry and Edna? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Albee uses more than one instance of irony in the book. One example is the clarity with which the alcoholic Claire can view life. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)