|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many acts are in this play?
2. Why are the people in the room happy to see Harry and Edna wearing their coats?
3. Who is questioning Agnes as Act 2, Scene 1 opens?
4. What are Agnes and Tobias drinking?
5. Tobias tells Julia that her parents are not _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Claire retaliate against Tobias for asking her about Alcoholics Anonymous?
2. Explain the veneer of Tobias's ability to love.
3. What is the setting for Act 2, Scene 2 and which characters are present as the scene opens?
4. What is so shocking about Julia's return to the group in the living room?
5. How does Julia show her immaturity toward her relationship with her father?
6. What insight does Agnes share with Tobias regarding his role in Julia's irresponsible behavior?
7. What is the topic that supersedes Agnes's obsession with madness?
8. Why is Agnes so leery of Julia's arrival?
9. What reasons does Agnes give for lashing out at Claire?
10. What does Agnes feel about Claire and how is that reflected in their communications?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Albee uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the play. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Alcohol takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the symbolism of Julia's bedroom. What does it mean for Julia? What does it mean that Harry and Edna have barricaded themselves in the room? Are there any other significant meanings that the bedroom adds to the story?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)