|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Agnes plan to speak to Julia?
2. With whom does the person in #67 pick fights?
3. To what city does Tobias say he will move because it is sunny all the time?
4. Why does Agnes chastise Tobias?
5. Who is Julia's husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting for Act 2, Scene 2 and which characters are present as the scene opens?
2. What reasons does Agnes give for lashing out at Claire?
3. How does Agnes distance herself from the responsibility of how to manage the people in the house?
4. How does Tobias reach his breaking point with the bickering women this morning?
5. What surprise do Harry and Edna reveal after saying their goodbyes to everyone?
6. What role does Agnes feel she has in Julia's continuing disappointments?
7. What does Agnes reveal about her previous night's sleep?
8. Who does Julia direct her anger toward next?
9. What does Tobias say about his previous night?
10. How does Agnes exhibit that she is so out of tune with her daughter's distress?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the symbolism of Julia's bedroom. What does it mean for Julia? What does it mean that Harry and Edna have barricaded themselves in the room? Are there any other significant meanings that the bedroom adds to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of married women in the 1960s when the women in the novel are living their married lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do the have? What freedoms did they have that twenty-first century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Tobias. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)