|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Harry and Edna going home?
2. Harry and Edna make a request for ______________.
3. Claire asks Tobias why he no longer has _________________________.
4. According to Julia, Doug is opposed to _______________.
5. How can most of the characters in the house be characterized?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Agnes feel she has in Julia's continuing disappointments?
2. What is the topic that Agnes ponders out loud?
3. How does Tobias respond to Agnes talk about going mad?
4. What reasons does Agnes give for lashing out at Claire?
5. What are Agnes and Tobias's main points when considering whether or not to ask Harry and Edna to leave?
6. What does Agnes reveal about her previous night's sleep?
7. What surprise do Harry and Edna reveal after saying their goodbyes to everyone?
8. What announcements does Edna make regarding the bedroom?
9. How does Tobias respond when Julia picks on him?
10. What does Julia say to Tobias in retaliation for his comment about her failed marriages?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of married women in the 1960s when the women in the novel are living their married lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do the have? What freedoms did they have that twenty-first century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
There is much symbolism in this story regarding Julia's bedroom. What does the room symbolize for Julia? What does it mean for Harry and Edna? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Albee use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)