|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Claire staying?
2. According to Tobias, Agnes will be the ________________ to plunge into any depths of madness.
3. According to Claire, _____________ is preferable to loss of love.
4. Overall, Tobias feels ____________ about Claire's life.
5. Claire asks Tobias why he no longer has _________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Edna retaliate against Julia for her rude behavior?
2. How does Claire respond to Tobias asking her about Alcoholics Anonymous?
3. Why are Tobias and Agnes pleased to have Harry and Edna leave their home in the end?
4. How does Julia show her immaturity toward her relationship with her father?
5. Who does Julia direct her anger toward next?
6. What is the topic that Agnes ponders out loud?
7. How does Tobias respond after hearing Harry's perspective on their friendship?
8. What does Julia say to Tobias in retaliation for his comment about her failed marriages?
9. Why is Agnes so leery of Julia's arrival?
10. What is the setting for Act 2, Scene 2 and which characters are present as the scene opens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Albee uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the play. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Agnes. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Tobias, Agnes, Julia, Claire, Harry and Edna. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)