|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tobias offer Claire when Agnes leaves the room?
2. To what city does Tobias say he will move because it is sunny all the time?
3. How old is Agnes?
4. Who is Julia's mother?
5. Claire asks Tobias why he no longer has _________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompts the unexpected arrival of Edna and Harry?
2. What is the topic that supersedes Agnes's obsession with madness?
3. How does Tobias respond to Agnes talk about going mad?
4. How does Agnes distance herself from the responsibility of how to manage the people in the house?
5. How does Claire retaliate against Tobias for asking her about Alcoholics Anonymous?
6. What does Julia do when Tobias tries to get her to understand that she is responsible for her life?
7. Who does Julia direct her anger toward next?
8. What does Agnes ask of Tobias regarding Julia's marriage?
9. What special quality does Agnes feel she has regarding the family?
10. Who emerges as the voice of reason and calm in Act 2, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Albee uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the play. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Albee use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)