|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tobias's response to what Agnes says about "when it will begin"?
2. Who does not understand Agnes's actions in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. What does Tobias tell Julia the he and Agnes have?
4. What simile does Tobias use to describe Julia's failed marriage?
5. Who enters the room and joins in the current conversation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What shocking news does Harry share with Tobias in private?
2. What reasons does Agnes give for lashing out at Claire?
3. What is the setting for Act 2, Scene 2 and which characters are present as the scene opens?
4. What is so shocking about Julia's return to the group in the living room?
5. What special quality does Agnes feel she has regarding the family?
6. For what reason does Agnes take such a resolute position regarding her family?
7. Explain Agnes's perspective on daylight.
8. What does Agnes feel about Claire and how is that reflected in their communications?
9. What incident serves as some comedic relief during another one of Julia's whining episodes?
10. How does Tobias reach his breaking point with the bickering women this morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Tobias, Agnes, Julia, Claire, Harry and Edna. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 2
A DELICATE BALANCE is a classic escape from reality story. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
This section contains 1,386 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)