Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Agnes pondering as Act 1 begins?
2. Why are Harry and Edna going home?
3. Who does Tobias attempt to defend all the time?
4. What is the location of the play?
5. Who begins to pick little fights?
Short Essay Questions
1. How old are Agnes and Tobias?
2. What are Agnes and Tobias's main points when considering whether or not to ask Harry and Edna to leave?
3. What does Agnes cite as the beginning of her marriage to Tobias?
4. Who emerges as the voice of reason and calm in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. What does Julia do when Tobias tries to get her to understand that she is responsible for her life?
6. What announcements does Edna make regarding the bedroom?
7. What does Tobias offer to do for Julia in spite of her snide comments toward him?
8. What reasons does Agnes give for lashing out at Claire?
9. What is the topic that supersedes Agnes's obsession with madness?
10. What is the setting for Act 2, Scene 2 and which characters are present as the scene opens?
Essay Topic 1
Explain Albee's use of humor in the play. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Escape from reality is an important theme in the story. Cite at least three examples of how the characters attempt to escape from reality.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Albee use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)