|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does not understand Agnes's actions in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. Surprisingly, Doug is even against whom?
3. Who is the main male character?
4. Who begins to pick little fights?
5. What is Agnes pondering as Act 1 begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Agnes and Tobias's daughter, Julia, coming home again?
2. How does Agnes distance herself from the responsibility of how to manage the people in the house?
3. Why is Agnes so leery of Julia's arrival?
4. How does Tobias reach his breaking point with the bickering women this morning?
5. What does Agnes ask of Tobias regarding Julia's marriage?
6. What reasons does Agnes give for lashing out at Claire?
7. What does Tobias say about his previous night?
8. What prompts the unexpected arrival of Edna and Harry?
9. Who emerges as the voice of reason and calm in Act 2, Scene 1?
10. Julia arrives home but does not understand something she encounters. What is it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Escape from reality is an important theme in the story. Cite at least three examples of how the characters attempt to escape from reality.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Agnes. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Alcohol takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)