|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times have Harry and Edna emerged?
2. Who arrives at Agnes and Tobias's house unexpectedly?
3. Who leaves the room during a conversation?
4. What is Tobias's response to what Agnes says about "when it will begin"?
5. Which character seems to be the only steady person in the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What special quality does Agnes feel she has regarding the family?
2. How do Tobias and Agnes deal with Julia's fit of hysterics?
3. What does Julia say to Tobias in retaliation for his comment about her failed marriages?
4. Explain Agnes's perspective on daylight.
5. How does Claire retaliate against Tobias for asking her about Alcoholics Anonymous?
6. How have Harry and Edna behaved since they have arrived at Agnes and Tobias's house?
7. What does Agnes consider to be a woman's responsibility in a marriage?
8. How does Agnes distance herself from the responsibility of how to manage the people in the house?
9. How does Julia serve as the tipping point for Tobias's tolerance?
10. What temporarily buoys the spirits of the people in the living room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of married women in the 1960s when the women in the novel are living their married lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do the have? What freedoms did they have that twenty-first century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Albee's use of humor in the play. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)