|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tobias could not force the cat to _________________.
2. According to Tobias, Agnes will be the ________________ to plunge into any depths of madness.
3. What does Tobias tell Julia she can no longer do?
4. Why can Agnes not go mad?
5. Tobias asks Claire why she does not go back to _______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Julia feel Harry and Edna's presence is unwarranted?
2. How does Julia show her immaturity toward her relationship with her father?
3. What is the setting for Act 2, Scene 2 and which characters are present as the scene opens?
4. What insight does Agnes share with Tobias regarding his role in Julia's irresponsible behavior?
5. What shocking news does Harry share with Tobias in private?
6. What is the simile that Tobias uses to describe Julia's marriages?
7. What are Agnes and Tobias's main points when considering whether or not to ask Harry and Edna to leave?
8. Why is Agnes so leery of Julia's arrival?
9. What is Julia looking for from Tobias?
10. How does Tobias respond when Julia picks on him?
Essay Topic 1
A DELICATE BALANCE is a classic escape from reality story. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Alcohol abuse seems to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the abuse? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? How does it affect the abusers? How does it affect those impacted by the abusers? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
There is much symbolism in this story regarding Julia's bedroom. What does the room symbolize for Julia? What does it mean for Harry and Edna? Explain.
This section contains 1,333 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)