Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Agnes pondering as Act 1 begins?
2. Why are Harry and Edna going home?
3. Who does Tobias attempt to defend all the time?
4. What is the location of the play?
5. Who begins to pick little fights?
Short Essay Questions
1. How old are Agnes and Tobias?
2. What are Agnes and Tobias's main points when considering whether or not to ask Harry and Edna to leave?
3. What does Agnes cite as the beginning of her marriage to Tobias?
4. Who emerges as the voice of reason and calm in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. What does Julia do when Tobias tries to get her to understand that she is responsible for her life?
6. What announcements does Edna make regarding the bedroom?
7. What does Tobias offer to do for Julia in spite of her snide comments toward him?
8. What reasons does Agnes give for lashing out at Claire?
9. What is the topic that supersedes Agnes's obsession with madness?
10. What is the setting for Act 2, Scene 2 and which characters are present as the scene opens?
Essay Topic 1
Alcohol takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the symbolism of Julia's bedroom. What does it mean for Julia? What does it mean that Harry and Edna have barricaded themselves in the room? Are there any other significant meanings that the bedroom adds to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Tobias. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)