|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Agnes leave the room?
2. How many acts are in this play?
3. Tobias recalls ______________ who stopped loving him.
4. Where do Edna and Harry spend the night?
5. Why can Agnes not go mad?
Short Essay Questions
1. What insight does Agnes share with Tobias regarding his role in Julia's irresponsible behavior?
2. What does Agnes ask of Tobias regarding Julia's marriage?
3. For what reason does Agnes take such a resolute position regarding her family?
4. What does Julia do when Tobias tries to get her to understand that she is responsible for her life?
5. What is the topic that supersedes Agnes's obsession with madness?
6. What special quality does Agnes feel she has regarding the family?
7. What announcements does Edna make regarding the bedroom?
8. Why is Agnes so leery of Julia's arrival?
9. Who is the voice of calm and reason in Act 2, Scene 2?
10. Who emerges as the voice of reason and calm in Act 2, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A DELICATE BALANCE is a classic escape from reality story. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Escape from reality is an important theme in the story. Cite at least three examples of how the characters attempt to escape from reality.
Essay Topic 3
Agnes seems to be the character who maintains the delicate balance in the play. How does Agnes do this? What is her internal code? What does Agnes do when things seem in danger or reaching a tipping point? Explain.
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)