|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the main female character?
2. Why is Julia returning home?
(a) To take care of Agnes and Tobias.
(b) Her marriage is breaking up.
(c) She is on vacation.
(d) She is ill.
3. What is the setting for Act 1?
(a) Dining room
(d) Living room
4. What does Agnes worry about more than she worries about going mad?
(a) Her sister, Claire
(b) Her best friend, Claire
(c) Her daughter, Claire
(d) Her sister-in-law, Claire
5. Claire asks Tobias why he no longer has _________________________.
(a) his business
(b) sex with his wife
(c) any friends
(d) any money
6. The people in the room are _____________ to see Harry and Edna with their coats on.
7. How can most of the characters in the house be characterized?
8. What is the format of A DELICATE BALANCE?
(a) A short story
(b) An essay
(c) A play
(d) A novel
9. How many acts are in this play?
10. What about Harry and Edna baffles Julia in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Their car
(b) Their home
(c) Their sudden arrival
(d) Their clothing
11. According to Tobias, Agnes will be the ________________ to plunge into any depths of madness.
12. Why do Harry and Edna emerge?
(a) To make a request
(b) To get a suitcase from the car
(c) To go to the bathroom
(d) To turn down the thermostat
13. Who perplexes Julia in Act 2, Scene 1?
(c) Harry and Edna
14. According to Agnes, it is ruined love and _____________________ that make her lash out at Claire.
(b) lost chances
(c) extramarital affairs
(d) bad debts
15. How many times have Harry and Edna emerged?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leaves the room during a conversation?
2. Thomas had _______________ kill the cat.
3. Who begins to pick little fights?
4. Why does the character in #67 begin to pick fights?
5. What does Tobias tell Julia the he and Agnes have?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)