Act 1, Friday Night
• The play opens in a comfortable living room in the suburban home of Agnes and Tobias, a married couple of middle age.
• Agnes ponders what it would be like to go mad and thinks that it must be very liberating.
• Agnes also talks about her alcoholic sister, Claire, who also lives in the home.
• Agnes and Claire engage in sarcastic dialogue.
• Agnes announces that Julia, Agnes and Tobias's daughter, is coming home because her fourth marriage is breaking up.
• Agnes asks Tobias to speak to Julia and her husband, Douglas.
• Tobias is reminded of a cat he had once that stopped loving him no matter how hard he tried to please it.
• Edna and Harry, Agnes and Tobias's best friends, arrive uninvited, claiming to be scared of something in their home.
• Agnes opens Julia's room to them so they can spend the night.
Act 2, Scene 1, Early Saturday Evening
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)