|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jazz not want her friends to know she plays the piano?
2. After Antonia has seen her mother in the hospital, what does she think about her mother's condition?
3. How much prize money is given to the winner of the piano competition that Jazz is practicing for?
4. Where do Tillie and Luis Abeyta take the boys when Antonia claims to have a headache?
5. Tillie says their empty house feels like what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Karen chosen to go into social work, and what is it about her that gives Antonia hope?
2. What does Mrs. Luther threaten to do if Jazz quits the piano, and how does this threat affect Jazz?
3. What was the last thing that Antonia's father said to her?
4. Why does Jazz's mother call the police on Jazz and her friends?
5. Explain Jazz's head art.
6. Who is Ram and why is he important to the story?
7. What is Gregoire's effect on Jazz?
8. How does Antonia describe her sense of isolation and loneliness after seeing her mother in the hospital?
9. Explain why Antonia tells Jazz that her foster family are ugly, evil little gones who keep them locked up?
10. Why does Jazz beg Antonia not to tell Jazz's friends about her playing the piano?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jazz is easily the most colorful character in the book. Discuss how her use of clothing becomes part of her identity. As part of your discussion, declare whether or not you think Jazz's identity - as proclaimed by her wardrobe - is genuine.
Essay Topic 2
Define Normal was a finalist for the National Book Award. Describe this award, and then give specific examples of ways that this book fits into the criteria of a National Book Award nominee. At the end of your definition and description, include a statement as to whether or not you think the book is worthy of this award.
Essay Topic 3
Stereotyping by appearance is a theme that runs throughout the novel, Define Normal. Select three different examples of stereotyping in the novel and discuss how each example affects the life of at least one character.
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)