|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Antonia blacks out during her swim lesson with Jazz?
2. Antonia tells the Luthers that her mother left her a note, which she gives to Jazz. What is strange about this note?
3. Antonia receives a pink slip to go to Dr. DiLeo's office. What happens there?
4. What school does Jazz hope to attend?
5. Where does Antonia find out that her mother and brother have gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Mrs. Luther's role in finding Antonia's mother.
2. How does Jazz feel about her sister, Janey?
3. Why is it uncomfortable for Antonia when Mr. and Mrs. Luther are talking about what nice manners she has?
4. What is the significance of the blank sheet of paper that Antonia hands to Jazz?
5. Why is Mrs. Luther so impressed with Antonia?
6. Why does Antonia continue to counsel Jazz even after she has told Dr. DiLeo for the second time that she cannot do it?
7. What does Jazz call a death wish and how does she react to people who have one?
8. Why was Antonia embarrassed to hand her math homework in to Mrs. Bartoli?
9. What does the word "cronk" mean?
10. What is the significance of the brownie that Antonia brings home from school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jazz is easily the most colorful character in the book. Discuss how her use of clothing becomes part of her identity. As part of your discussion, declare whether or not you think Jazz's identity - as proclaimed by her wardrobe - is genuine.
Essay Topic 2
Define the literary term "foil." Using this definition, give three specific examples of foils in the book.
Essay Topic 3
The Abeytas are a kind, compassionate, loving people who provide a foster home for Antonia and her brothers. Discuss Antonia's reactions to the Abeytas. Compare and contrast Antonia's reactions to the reactions of her brothers.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)