|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose idea is it to hire a psychiatric expert to assess Jacob?
2. What object does Andy go to retrieve from an upstairs bedroom in Ben's family's house?
3. What does Lynn tell Andy when he calls her from the park ten days after Ben's murder?
4. What guarantee does Andy provide to Laurie the day before Jacob's school reopens?
5. How old had Neal been when he joined the District Attorney's office?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss one coping mechanism Andy uses to get through Jacob's murder trial.
2. Discuss the meaning of the epigraph for Part One of the novel.
3. Discuss one statement that Andy makes under oath and then names as a deception to the reader.
4. What is Jacob's explanation for the most damning clue in the murder case?
5. How does William Landay use the changed relationship between Andy and Duffy to indicate Andy's profound sense of isolation following Jacob's indictment for murder?
6. How is the motif of dreams and visions present within Chapter 3?
7. Explain the significance of the chapter title "Mindfuck" (34).
8. What action does Dan Rifkin take against Andy once Jacob comes under suspicion?
9. Who is Duffy and how does Andy feel about him?
10. How is the theme of deception depicted within Andy's conversation with Sarah in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism of the single fingerprint stamped on the young murder victim's sweatshirt and explain the purpose the author has in mind for its inclusion.
Essay Topic 2
How is the topic of family bonds treated within the novel and what does the author want the reader to understand more fully about family relationships as a result of reading the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Explicate the theme of deception within the novel, particularly in relation to the novel's protagonist, Andy. What is the author's message regarding deception and how do you know?
This section contains 1,435 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)