|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is NOT an element Neal mentions when trying to get the judge to set a high bail amount for Jacob?
(a) Jacob's connections to the airline industry.
(b) The great likelihood of conviction.
(c) The savagery of Jacob's alleged crime.
(d) Jacob's connection to law enforcement through Andy.
2. What change does Andy NOT make to his running routine once Jacob is indicted for murder?
(a) He never runs near the murder site.
(b) He runs early in the morning.
(c) He no longer listens to music while running.
(d) He keeps his distance from others while running.
3. What career is Laurie's father involved in?
4. How old is Ben at the time of his murder?
5. For what reason is Andy taken off the case of Ben's murder?
(a) Duffy discovers that Andy had thrown away the military knife.
(b) Dan tells Lynn that Andy is dragging his feet on the case.
(c) Andy asks to be taken off the case for personal reasons.
(d) His son Jacob has been implicated in the murder.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what object are the volunteers searching the park ten days after Ben's murder?
2. What guarantee does Andy provide to Laurie the day before Jacob's school reopens?
3. Laurie says that from what age in Jacob's life, other kids had started to turn up hurt around Jacob?
4. Andy states that a grand jury proceeding is not a what?
5. What does Dan tell Andy when they encounter one another ten days after Ben's murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the significance of the chapter title "Mindfuck" (34).
2. What is posted on Facebook about a knife of Jacob's and by whom is it posted?
3. Discuss one statement that Andy makes under oath and then names as a deception to the reader.
4. Discuss the meaning of the epigraph for Part One of the novel.
5. What happens when Andy and Laurie confront Jacob about the knife Andy found in Jacob's room?
6. What qualities of Jonathan Klein's does Andy find reassuring?
7. What action does Dan Rifkin take against Andy once Jacob comes under suspicion?
8. What major realization about life does Andy describe arriving at as a result of meeting Laurie in college?
9. How is the email address of the mysterious link-sender used to demonstrate the major theme within the text?
10. How does William Landay use the changed relationship between Andy and Duffy to indicate Andy's profound sense of isolation following Jacob's indictment for murder?
This section contains 1,463 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)