|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What object does Andy briefly consider hiding when he races home and makes it there before a warrant is served to search his house?
(a) Jacob's laptop.
(b) Jacob's iPod Touch.
(c) Laurie's BlackBerry.
(d) His own laptop.
2. In what substance is a single fingerprint stamped upon the inside of Ben's sweatshirt?
(b) Ben's blood.
(d) Blood from an unidentified source.
3. How old is Ben at the time of his murder?
4. What change does Andy say occurs between he and Laurie after his confession to her about his family history?
(a) They do not touch one another at all.
(b) Laurie no longer makes eye contact with Andy.
(c) They do not talk as often or as easily.
(d) Andy no longer makes eye contact with Laurie.
5. What change does Andy NOT make to his running routine once Jacob is indicted for murder?
(a) He keeps his distance from others while running.
(b) He no longer listens to music while running.
(c) He never runs near the murder site.
(d) He runs early in the morning.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT listed as a reason that Jacob hardly ever uses the telephone?
2. What position does Andy hold at the time Ben's body is discovered?
3. For what reason does Jonathan Klein show up to the police department?
4. Who discovers Ben's dead body?
5. The Middlesex County Courthouse where Andy works is filled with what material?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the significance of the chapter title "Mindfuck" (34).
2. Discuss one statement that Andy makes under oath and then names as a deception to the reader.
3. What is the clue that points most markedly to Jacob's involvement in Ben's murder?
4. What connection does Andy draw among "children, drunks, and schizophrenics" (129)?
5. What qualities of Andy's character are revealed in the moment when Jacob learns about his grandfather's and great-grandfather's violent histories?
6. Discuss the meaning of the epigraph for Part One of the novel.
7. Who is Duffy and how does Andy feel about him?
8. How is the motif of dreams and visions present within Chapter 3?
9. What qualities of Jonathan Klein's does Andy find reassuring?
10. What job does Andy hold at the time of Ben's murder, and how is he involved in the homicide response?
This section contains 1,299 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)