|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What change does Andy NOT make to his running routine once Jacob is indicted for murder?
(a) He runs early in the morning.
(b) He never runs near the murder site.
(c) He no longer listens to music while running.
(d) He keeps his distance from others while running.
2. How many stories does the Middlesex County Courthouse have?
3. At what location is Jacob ultimately found by the police?
(a) In Derek's backyard.
(b) In the attic of his family home.
(c) In the woods of Cold Spring Park.
(d) In the play structure behind the elementary school.
4. How many stab wounds are found on Ben's body?
5. When Laurie picks up the phone during dinner and experiences a fright, how many days are left until Jacob's trial?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Patz say he had been the morning of Ben's murder?
2. At the time of Neal's questioning of Andy in front of the grand jury, what position does Neal hold?
3. What change does Andy say occurs between he and Laurie after his confession to her about his family history?
4. What is NOT a characteristic named by Andy when he tells the reader why he had liked Neal upon their first meeting?
5. How old is Ben at the time of his murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the clue that points most markedly to Jacob's involvement in Ben's murder?
2. Who is Neal Logiudice?
3. Discuss the meaning of the epigraph for Part One of the novel.
4. How does the author use Jacob's relationship with the telephone to indicate Jacob's lack of comfort with intimacy?
5. How is the motif of dreams and visions present within Chapter 3?
6. What action does Dan Rifkin take against Andy once Jacob comes under suspicion?
7. What connection does Andy draw among "children, drunks, and schizophrenics" (129)?
8. What qualities of Andy's character are revealed in the moment when Jacob learns about his grandfather's and great-grandfather's violent histories?
9. Discuss one coping mechanism Andy uses to get through Jacob's murder trial.
10. Discuss one statement that Andy makes under oath and then names as a deception to the reader.
This section contains 1,385 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)