|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Judith do together with Deerslayer?
2. What is the Indian equivalent of Heaven according to their discussion that morning?
3. After they talk for a long time, what do Hetty and Judith do?
4. What does Hetty try to do for Deerslayer?
5. Why does Deerslayer reject Judith's final marriage proposal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Deerslayer almost escape the Iroquois?
2. After the massacre of the Iroquois, what happens?
3. Why does Judith give Deerslayer a special gift?
4. What do Deerslayer and Chingachgook learn when they return fifteen years later?
5. What happens to Harry and Hutter after they are captured in the house?
6. What do Judith and Hetty discover after the Iroquois leave the castle?
7. What causes Harry to have a change of mind about taking scalps?
8. What deep discussion takes place before Deerslayer has to return to the Iroquois?
9. What happens when the second torture begins.
10. What is Judith's bold plan for freeing Deerslayer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about cliffhangers in novels and movies that make you want to know more. Give examples from movies and TV shows that end in such a way you want to know what is going to happen next. Many movies do that to get people anxious for the sequel. TV shows usually do that on the last episode of the season so that people will want to watch again next year. Pick out a few of those you remember and write how they made you feel.
Essay Topic 2
Things that might not happen in real life but happen in a novel are true because the author says they are. Write how you feel about that. Do you find it easy to believe preposterous things like witchcraft and monsters just to enjoy a story? On the other hand, perhaps you do not really enjoy that kind of reading and prefer biographies and books of history. Explain yourself clearly.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the harmful effects of rumor. From the very beginning of the novel, it is clear that Judith has been stained by rumor. Your essay should start with the example of Judith and go into what rumor can do today.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)