|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What changes Harry's attitude about taking scalps?
(a) The reproach of Wah-ta-Wah
(b) The narrow escape he had from getting his own scalp taken
(c) Seeing Hutter dying with his scalp taken
(d) The sorrow of the Hutter girls
2. What are the garrison soldiers able to do?
(a) Arbitrate the differences between Deerslayer and the widow
(b) Entertain the Iroquois
(c) Make the Iroquois run away
(d) Take over the encampment
3. After refusing the Iroquois woman for the last time, what preparations are made?
(a) For a raid on Muskrat Castle
(b) For taking Deerslayer's scalp
(c) For a war dance
(d) For Deerslayer's torture
4. What surprising thing happens when Deerslayer returns to the Iroquois?
(a) He is forgiven and allowed to leave.
(b) He is honored for keeping his word.
(c) He is given one of the chess pieces.
(d) He is invited to become an Iroquois.
5. What happens in the second phase?
(a) They hang Deerslayer up by putting pins in his chest and attaching ropes to those.
(b) They make him run through a gauntlet.
(c) Instead of tomahawks, they use rifles and shoot as close as possible to Deerslayer's head.
(d) They tie him to a tree and allow the squaws and children to throw rocks at him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gives Chingachgook the idea that the Iroquois have taken over Muskrat Castle during the night?
2. Why will the tribe not agree to stop the torture?
3. How do they find Muskrat Castle?
4. How does Deerslayer react to the first phase of the torture?
5. How do they find Hutter when they enter the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What unfortunate event causes the woman on the shore to scream?
2. What loss do the others suffer?
3. Ravenoak admires Deerslayer's courage and offers him his freedom under what condition?
4. What becomes of the Iroquois by the next morning?
5. After Hutter is buried in the lake, for what does Judith hope?
6. What is Judith's bold plan for freeing Deerslayer?
7. What unusual thing happens while Judith and Hetty are in the canoe?
8. What do Deerslayer and Chingachgook learn when they return fifteen years later?
9. Where is the canoe that brought Hetty to shore hidden from view?
10. What deep discussion takes place before Deerslayer has to return to the Iroquois?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)