|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What member of Deerslayer's group gets shot in the conflict between the Iroquois and the soldiers?
2. What do they find in the old chest?
(a) Their mother's diary
(b) Instructions for receiving a large inheritance
(c) Old letters that belonged to Judith's mother
(d) Deeds to property that belonged to the girls' mother
3. What attitude do Harry and Hutter have about Chingachgook's fears?
(a) They think it is a good opportunity to go ashore and collect scalps.
(b) They brashly insist that the Iroquois could not possibly be in the castle.
(c) They listen to him and do not go back to the isalnd.
(d) They accuse Wah-ta-Wah of agitating her husband.
4. What happens to spoil Judith's plan?
(a) They ask Hetty who Judith is and Hetty cannot lie, admitting that she is her sister.
(b) The Iroquois think she is as incapacitated as Hetty.
(c) One of the warriors recognizes Judith.
(d) Judith's dress begins to unravel because it is so old.
5. What happens in the second phase?
(a) They make him run through a gauntlet.
(b) They tie him to a tree and allow the squaws and children to throw rocks at him.
(c) Instead of tomahawks, they use rifles and shoot as close as possible to Deerslayer's head.
(d) They hang Deerslayer up by putting pins in his chest and attaching ropes to those.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Chingachgook and Deerslayer do that morning?
2. What gives Chingachgook the idea that the Iroquois have taken over Muskrat Castle during the night?
3. As he leaves, instead of telling Judith he loves her, what does Deerslayer say to her?
4. What is the first phase of Deerslayer's torture?
5. Who do they see paddling in a canoe and coming toward them out on the lake?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the terms the Iroquois give Deerslayer to offer the people on the Ark?
2. What unusual thing happens while Judith and Hetty are in the canoe?
3. What do Judith and Hetty discover after the Iroquois leave the castle?
4. After the massacre of the Iroquois, what happens?
5. What are the circumstances of Deerslayer paddling a canoe up to the house?
6. What brings the entire tribe to want him tortured and killed?
7. What deep discussion takes place before Deerslayer has to return to the Iroquois?
8. What unfortunate event causes the woman on the shore to scream?
9. Why does Judith give Deerslayer a special gift?
10. What advice does Deerslayer give when Judith tries to suggest she wants to marry him?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)