|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Hetty buried?
(a) Under Muskrat Castle
(b) Where the encampment once stood
(c) In the lake near her mother and Hutter
(d) At the garrison
2. After the castle is deserted, what do Judith and Hetty do?
(a) They make a dash for the Ark.
(b) They go around the island to make sure all the Indian have left.
(c) They paddle to the island and go into the house.
(d) They wait in the middle of the lake because they are too afraid to move.
3. What promise does Chingachgook make to Deerslayer?
(a) That he will not return to the Delaware until he knows what happens with his friend.
(b) That he will take Judith and Hetty to the Delaware.
(c) That he will bury him in the hills if he does not survive.
(d) That he will go with him to the Iroquois.
4. What is Deerslayer's attitude as he says farewell to his friends before returning to the Iroquois?
(a) He is angry that he will die because of Hutter.
(b) He is resigned to dying.
(c) He is scared of a painful death.
(d) He is planning to fight hard for his life.
5. Why will Deerslayer not take the chance to flee?
(a) He fears the Iroquois will kill Judith and Hetty if he does not return.
(b) There are Iroquois posted all around the lake.
(c) He must keep his word to Ravenoak.
(d) He knows it is futile.
Short Answer Questions
1. After refusing the Iroquois woman for the last time, what preparations are made?
2. What strange thing takes place that Judith and Hetty do not understand as they paddle away in the canoe.
3. What do they find in the old chest?
4. What happens when Harry and Hutter enter Muskrat Castle that morning?
5. Why does Judith refuse Harry's marriage proposal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Harry to have a change of mind about taking scalps?
2. Why does Deerslayer not get away from the Iroquois?
3. What advice does Deerslayer give when Judith tries to suggest she wants to marry him?
4. What loss do the others suffer?
5. What happens when the second torture begins.
6. What is the first torture they use with Deerslayer and how does he react?
7. What becomes of the Iroquois by the next morning?
8. What happens when they return and enter Muskrat Castle?
9. What brings the entire tribe to want him tortured and killed?
10. What happens to Harry and Hutter after they are captured in the house?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)