|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the argument between Harry Marsh and Deerslayer?
(a) An argument about the location of the Hutter family
(b) An argument about the best way to hunt deer
(c) An argument about the value of the land
(d) An argument about the character of Native Americans
2. What comparisons do they discuss regarding physical beauty?
(a) British women versus French women
(b) Hutter's daughters versus Native Indian women
(c) Hutter and Harry versus Native Indian warriors
(d) Handsome Harry versus Natty Bumppo and Judith versus Hetty
3. What do they use to bargain for the lives of Hutter and Harry?
(a) The dueling pistols
(b) Three deer Chingachgook had killed
(c) The fancy clothes
(d) The chess pieces
4. How do Harry March and Deerslayer get to Muskrat Castle?
(a) By swimming out to the island
(b) When Thomas Hutter picked them up in his boat
(c) In a canoe March had hidden near the lake
(d) On a ferry that runs three times a day
5. When Deerslayer realizes Harry and Hutter have been taken captive, what does he do?
(a) He takes Hetty and goes to the encampment.
(b) He goes to sleep in his canoe.
(c) He goes ashore and heads for the garrison.
(d) He wakes the girls and gives them guns.
Short Answer Questions
1. What plans do Chingachgook and Deerslayer make together?
2. What do they find out when they are trying to open the old chest?
3. For what does Deerslayer prepare himself?
4. What does Deerslayer have to tell Judith and Hetty?
5. What is Deerslayer's problem that makes him uncomfortable around Judith?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Tom Hutter's racial prejudices as Harry March and Deerslayer arrive.
2. What action does Deerslayer take that allows Chingachgook and Wah-ta-Wah to escape?
3. Show Deerslayer's feeling about not killing another human unless absolutely necessary.
4. Why does Deerslayer urge Hetty to leave the Iroquois camp?
5. How does Hetty manage to enter the Iroquois encampment?
6. Discuss the element of rumor in The Deerslayer.
7. What does Deerslayer believe is the significance to a cluster of bloody sticks he finds?
8. How do they bargain for the release of Hutter and Harry?
9. Describe Harry and Deerslayer as they emerge from the woods at the beginning of the novel.
10. What is the purpose of Chingachgook's expected arrival?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)