|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Prior to Hutter and Harry going to the encampment, what does Deerslayer do?
(a) He urges them to go without their muskets.
(b) He gives them new mossasins to wear.
(c) He warns them that what they are planning is wrong.
(d) He shows them how to slip up on the camp.
2. Instead of Harry's prearranged signal, what does Deerslayer hear?
(b) A woman scream
(c) War drums
(d) The cry of a wounded moose
3. Why does Hetty try to go to the Iroquois encampment?
(a) She believes she can negotiate with the Indians.
(b) She wants to warn them about the garrison soldiers.
(c) She will offer herself in exchange for her father and Harry.
(d) She thinks they will not see her because she is so small.
4. How do the men finally manage to grab Wah-ta-Wah?
(a) When she and an old lady go to collect water from the lake.
(b) When it gets very dark.
(c) When Wah-ta-Wah makes a run for her freedom.
(d) When everyone falls asleep.
5. Why does Chingachgook want to go to shore with Harry and Hutter?
(a) He wants to kill more deer.
(b) He wants to get scalps with them.
(c) He wants to prove that he is brave.
(d) He wants to keep an eye on them.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Hetty falls asleep in the forest, what does she discover when she wakes up?
2. Who interrogates Deerslayer?
3. What useful items do they find in the chest?
4. What do they use to bargain for the lives of Hutter and Harry?
5. Why is Chingachgook coming to that area?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances when Chingachgook and Deerslayer locate the Iroquois camp?
2. What does Cooper use to show Hetty's innocence and purity?
3. What relationship develops between Judith and Deerslayer?
4. Why are the Iroquois there in that area?
5. What action does Deerslayer take that allows Chingachgook and Wah-ta-Wah to escape?
6. What happens to Harry and Hutter when they go ashore to find scalps?
7. What action does Hetty take that points to her mental deficiency?
8. What does Deerslayer believe is the significance to a cluster of bloody sticks he finds?
9. Show Deerslayer's feeling about not killing another human unless absolutely necessary.
10. How does Hetty manage to enter the Iroquois encampment?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)