|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the reaction of the Iroquois about Hutter and Harry wanting scalps?
(a) They do not believe white men would come for scalps.
(b) They discuss taking Hetty's scalp to teach them a lesson.
(c) Recognizing the importance of scalps, they are not angered.
(d) They think the men were crazy.
2. What complicates Wah-ta-Wah's rescue?
(a) She does not see Chingachgook when he signals to her.
(b) Wah-ta-Wah has been tied to a tree in the middle of the camp.
(c) She is under guard and there are two warriors watching the camp.
(d) They cannot get close enough without being seen.
3. What does Judith keep insisting?
(a) That Deerslayer agrees to marry her.
(b) That they remain on the island for a few more days.
(c) That they take the canoes and go looking for Hetty.
(d) That they find something they can use to barter for her father's release.
4. How do the Iroquois discover Hetty's mental capacity?
(a) Hutter tells them his daughter is afflicted.
(b) They see that she is not afraid of them.
(c) Wah-ta-Wah explains it to them.
(d) They already know because they had heard the tales.
5. What happens when Deerslayer turns his back on the Iroquois?
(a) The Iroquois turns around and goes back empty handed.
(b) He hears the screams of Harry and Hutter coming from the camp.
(c) The Iroquois watches him closely to see that he does not return.
(d) The Indian tries to kill him but Deerslayer gets the Iroquois instead.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to see them on the Ark?
2. What is the argument between Harry Marsh and Deerslayer?
3. Who shows up in the Iroquois camp to plead for Deerslayer's life?
4. What are the warriors discussing when Deerslayer and Chingachgook approach the camp?
5. After the house is secure, what does Deerslayer agree to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What relationship develops between Judith and Deerslayer?
2. Explain how Deerslayer is given the nickname, Hawkeye.
3. How does Cooper show that Hutter trusts Hetty more than he does Judith?
4. What are the circumstances when Chingachgook and Deerslayer locate the Iroquois camp?
5. After they pick up Chingachgook, what information does he report?
6. What happens when Deerslayer is interrogated by Ravenoak?
7. Even though he is an expert marksman, what is Deerslayer's attitude about taking any kind of life?
8. What does Cooper use to show Hetty's innocence and purity?
9. Why does Deerslayer urge Hetty to leave the Iroquois camp?
10. After they take the Ark back to Muskrat Castle, how do they propose to keep the Iroquois from attacking them?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)