|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Hetty so sure she is in no danger if she finds the Iroquois?
(a) She thinks they will believe that she is a ghost.
(b) She believes they will not harm a woman.
(c) She thinks God will protect her.
(d) She knows how to speak their language.
2. What unexpected thing does Hetty do before they realize it?
(a) She takes a canoe and paddles to the lake shore.
(b) She takes an axe and chops open the old chest.
(c) She tries to swim ashore and drowns.
(d) She sets fire to the house.
3. How does Chingachgook disguise himself on the boat?
(a) He puts on a soldier uniform he found in the garrison.
(b) He dresses like an Iroquois.
(c) He shaves his head.
(d) He puts on some of Hutter's old clothes.
4. What plans do Chingachgook and Deerslayer make together?
(a) To go rescue Wah-ta-Wah
(b) To hide Hutter's guns so he cannot make more trouble with the Iroquois
(c) To find out where the Iroquois warriors have gone
(d) To go hunting for deer meat they can cook on the Ark
5. Who interrogates Deerslayer?
(b) The tribal council
(c) The old woman he grabbed
(d) Chief Ravenoak
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Deerslayer turns his back on the Iroquois?
2. What does the discussion about scalping do for the novel?
3. What is the argument between Harry Marsh and Deerslayer?
4. The men who emerge from the woods in the opening of the novel.
5. What happens when Deerslayer wakes the following morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Deerslayer believe is the significance to a cluster of bloody sticks he finds?
2. How does Hetty manage to enter the Iroquois encampment?
3. How does Cooper show that Hutter trusts Hetty more than he does Judith?
4. What does Cooper use to show Hetty's innocence and purity?
5. What are the circumstances when Chingachgook and Deerslayer locate the Iroquois camp?
6. Discuss the element of rumor in The Deerslayer.
7. What items in the old chest particularly delight Deerslayer and Chingachgook?
8. After they take the Ark back to Muskrat Castle, how do they propose to keep the Iroquois from attacking them?
9. Why are Harry and Tom Hutter planning to collect Indian scalps?
10. Why are the Iroquois not angered when they discover that Hutter and Harry are there to collect scalps?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)