|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is it before Deerslayer and Chingachgook return to the area?
(a) Two years
(b) Ten years
(c) Fifteen years
(d) Twenty years
2. What strange thing takes place that Judith and Hetty do not understand as they paddle away in the canoe.
(a) The encampment seems to catch on fire.
(b) The Iroquois guard's lover is shot.
(c) An Iroquois boy swims up to their canoe.
(d) The canoe begins to take on water.
3. What happens to spoil Judith's plan?
(a) They ask Hetty who Judith is and Hetty cannot lie, admitting that she is her sister.
(b) One of the warriors recognizes Judith.
(c) The Iroquois think she is as incapacitated as Hetty.
(d) Judith's dress begins to unravel because it is so old.
4. Why does Deerslayer reject Judith's final marriage proposal?
(a) Because of the rumors Harry told him about her.
(b) Because he really loved Hetty.
(c) Because he wants to marry a Delaware girl.
(d) Because he thinks it is forward for a woman to ask a man to marry her.
5. Who accompanies Deerslayer to the Iroquois camp?
6. Why will the tribe not agree to stop the torture?
(a) Because they want to hear him beg for mercy.
(b) Because it is entertaining.
(c) Because they have no respect for Deerslayer.
(d) Because they are still angry.
7. What happened to most of the Iroquois?
(a) Most of them surrender to the soldiers.
(b) Most of them are killed by the soldiers.
(c) Most of them jump into canoes and paddle to the island.
(d) Most of them run away to hide in the forest.
8. What does Harry do after he hears the conditions brought by Deerslayer?
(a) He threatens to shoot any Iroquois that comes near the castle.
(b) He disappears.
(c) He forces Judith to leave with him.
(d) He goes to the garrison and informs them of what is happening.
9. What does Harry advise Deerslayer to do?
(a) Run while he has the chance.
(b) Declare war on the Iroquois.
(c) Go with him to the garrison.
(d) Kill himself to save the rest of them.
10. What amazing feat does Deerslayer do that gives him a chance to run for his life?
(a) He catches the tomahawk and throws it back, killing the Iroquois who threw it at him.
(b) He sees no opening to run for the lake before they know what he is doing.
(c) He takes Ravenoak hostage and stages a getaway.
(d) He pulls a knife from his belt and kills Ravenoak.
11. What gives Chingachgook the idea that the Iroquois have taken over Muskrat Castle during the night?
(a) Wah-ta-Wah understands how the Iroquois think
(b) A moccasin floating on the lake
(c) There seem to be more canoes tied up on the island
(d) It is too quiet on the lake shore
12. Why is it safe for Hetty to return with Deerslayer?
(a) They will not harm her because of her mental condition.
(b) They fear her because of her mental condition.
(c) They see her as a goddess.
(d) The respect her for her innocence.
13. What does chief Ravenoak want to do with Deerslayer?
(a) He wants to take his scalp.
(b) He wants to pardon him.
(c) He wants to torture him.
(d) He wants to keep him as a hostage.
14. What do Chingachgook and Wah-ta-Wah do the next morning?
(a) They plan how to take a canoe and desert the white people.
(b) They question Judith and Hetty for any information they might have.
(c) They cook fish they caught in the lake.
(d) The use the spyglass to survey the lake.
15. What do the Iroquois do when they notice Harry is missing?
(a) They do not care about Harry because Hutter is the one they want.
(b) They bring Hutter outside and scalp him alive.
(c) They set fire to Muskrat Castle.
(d) They attempt to catch up to the boat in canoes but give up their attempts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hutter do when he discovers that Deerslayer has been captured?
2. The morning after Deerslayer's furlough, what is the main topic of conversation?
3. Why is Deerslayer free?
4. What does this situation foreshadow for Deerslayer?
5. What is the first phase of Deerslayer's torture?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)