|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is rumored to have become of Judith?
(a) That she is a spinster in the settlement.
(b) That she has commited suicide.
(c) That she has finally married and moved to New York.
(d) That she leaves to be the mistress of Captain Warley.
2. When the Iroquois go after Judith and Hetty in their canoe, how do the girls escape capture?
(a) A fog rolls in and hides the girls.
(b) They shoot the Iroquois with the dureling pistols.
(c) Chingachgook shoots them from the boat.
(d) The Iroquois break an oar and have to abandon the chase.
3. The morning after Deerslayer's furlough, what is the main topic of conversation?
(a) Wedding plans for Judith and Deerslayer
(b) Things they remember about their childhoods
(c) How to get Deerslayer to escape with his life
(d) Life after death
4. What happens when Judith proposes marriage to Deerslayer?
(a) He asks for time to think about it.
(b) He tells her he is already married.
(c) He turns her down.
(d) He is fllattered and agrees to marry her.
5. What attitude do Harry and Hutter have about Chingachgook's fears?
(a) They brashly insist that the Iroquois could not possibly be in the castle.
(b) They listen to him and do not go back to the isalnd.
(c) They think it is a good opportunity to go ashore and collect scalps.
(d) They accuse Wah-ta-Wah of agitating her husband.
6. What is the difference between his escape from the camp and an escape during a furlough?
(a) There is no sport in an escape during a furlough.
(b) Escape from the camp is considerd honorable while escape from the furlough is dishonorable.
(c) There is no difference; both are dishonorable.
(d) Escape from the camp is really impossible.
7. How does Cooper describe the massacre of the Iroquois?
(a) He gives only the garrison's side of the conflict.
(b) He describes it in bloody detail.
(c) He describes it through the eyes of Deerslayer.
(d) He glosses over it, mainly talking about the clean up afterwards.
8. What does Harry do after he hears the conditions brought by Deerslayer?
(a) He forces Judith to leave with him.
(b) He disappears.
(c) He threatens to shoot any Iroquois that comes near the castle.
(d) He goes to the garrison and informs them of what is happening.
9. Although Deerslayer admires the Indians, what attitude of his lies just under the surface?
(a) He never trusts Indians or frontier white men.
(b) He wants to be free to go to other frontiers.
(c) He does not approve of interracial marriage.
(d) He believes he would never make a good husband.
10. What does this situation foreshadow for Deerslayer?
(a) Another chance to make his escape
(b) A deliverance by the Delaware tribe
(c) Marriage proposals from both Judith and the Iroquois tribe
(d) Serious punishment when he returns empty handed
11. What happens to Deerslayer's canoe as it drifts away from the lake shore?
(a) It goes unnoticed by the Iroquois.
(b) It begins to sink.
(c) It is once again captured by the Iroquois.
(d) It drifts into some reeds and out of sight.
12. Why is Deerslayer free?
(a) Chingachgook arranges for his release.
(b) Ravenoak gives him twenty-four hours furlough on his promise to return and face punishment.
(c) He pretends to be sick and the Indians scare him.
(d) He slips away from the Iroquois in the night.
13. What strange thing takes place that Judith and Hetty do not understand as they paddle away in the canoe.
(a) The Iroquois guard's lover is shot.
(b) An Iroquois boy swims up to their canoe.
(c) The canoe begins to take on water.
(d) The encampment seems to catch on fire.
14. What does Judith urge him to do?
(a) Arm himself before he returns to the encampment
(b) Marry her and run to the garrison where they will be safe
(c) Let her send a message that he drowned in the lake when his canoe overturned
(d) Get away where the Iroquois cannot find him
15. What are the terms of Deerslayer's furlough?
(a) To bring Hetty back to the tribe for good luck.
(b) To burn down Muskrat Castle.
(c) To take the Ark and the chest to Ravenoak.
(d) To ask Wah-ta-Wah and Judith to return and marry Iroquois warriors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Judith give Deerslayer?
2. Who accompanies Deerslayer to the Iroquois camp?
3. What happens to spoil Judith's plan?
4. What are the warriors unsuccessful at doing?
5. Where do Chingachgook and Wah-ta-Wah see Harry the next morning?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)