|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Deerslayer react to the first phase of the torture?
(a) He never flinches during the torture.
(b) He closes his eyes and expects to die.
(c) He curses the Iroquois.
(d) He agrees to marry the Iroquois widow.
2. Why will Deerslayer not take the chance to flee?
(a) He knows it is futile.
(b) He must keep his word to Ravenoak.
(c) He fears the Iroquois will kill Judith and Hetty if he does not return.
(d) There are Iroquois posted all around the lake.
3. What does Judith hope she will find in the old chest?
(a) Something they can sell for a lot of money
(b) Information about all the land Hutter owned
(c) Some interesting books to read
(d) Papers that give them a clue as to their real family
4. What happens to spoil Judith's plan?
(a) The Iroquois think she is as incapacitated as Hetty.
(b) One of the warriors recognizes Judith.
(c) Judith's dress begins to unravel because it is so old.
(d) They ask Hetty who Judith is and Hetty cannot lie, admitting that she is her sister.
5. What does Judith urge him to do?
(a) Get away where the Iroquois cannot find him
(b) Marry her and run to the garrison where they will be safe
(c) Arm himself before he returns to the encampment
(d) Let her send a message that he drowned in the lake when his canoe overturned
6. As he leaves, instead of telling Judith he loves her, what does Deerslayer say to her?
(a) How she must not end up like her mother
(b) How much he wants her to marry Harry
(c) How much he admires her
(d) How he never believed the rumors about her
7. How long is it before Deerslayer and Chingachgook return to the area?
(a) Two years
(b) Fifteen years
(c) Twenty years
(d) Ten years
8. What does chief Ravenoak want to do?
(a) Move on to the next phase
(b) End the torture because of Deerslayer's bravery
(c) Find Judith and make her watch the torture
(d) Take Deerslayer's scalp
9. What vow does Judith make?
(a) To kill Chief Ravenoak
(b) To run away from her father
(c) To trade herself for Deerslayer
(d) To liberate Deerslayer
10. Where does Hetty go in the middle of the night?
(a) To the top of a nearby hill
(b) To the tree where Deerslayer is tied up
(c) To the lake for a drink of water
(d) To where Judith is waiting for her in the canoe
11. What do Chingachgook and Deerslayer do that morning?
(a) Chant prayers in the Delaware language
(b) Help everyone load up the Ark
(c) Shoot at birds with the rifle Judith gave Deerslayer
(d) Take a canoe ride
12. What happened to most of the Iroquois?
(a) Most of them surrender to the soldiers.
(b) Most of them are killed by the soldiers.
(c) Most of them jump into canoes and paddle to the island.
(d) Most of them run away to hide in the forest.
13. What do the Iroquois do when they notice Harry is missing?
(a) They bring Hutter outside and scalp him alive.
(b) They attempt to catch up to the boat in canoes but give up their attempts.
(c) They do not care about Harry because Hutter is the one they want.
(d) They set fire to Muskrat Castle.
14. How does Cooper describe the massacre of the Iroquois?
(a) He describes it through the eyes of Deerslayer.
(b) He describes it in bloody detail.
(c) He gives only the garrison's side of the conflict.
(d) He glosses over it, mainly talking about the clean up afterwards.
15. What do Judith and Hetty learn as Hutter lies on his deathbed?
(a) That he forced himself on their mother and she had to marry him.
(b) That he is not their real father.
(c) That he killed their mother.
(d) That they have a sister then never knew.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do they manage to rescue Harry?
2. What do the Iroquois offer in return for the women agreeing to return?
3. What does Harry do after he hears the conditions brought by Deerslayer?
4. What scares the two women as they are leaving their hiding place along the shore?
5. What happens in the second phase?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)