|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Hetty falls asleep in the forest, what does she discover when she wakes up?
(a) A cloth filled with food
(b) Deerslayer and Chingachgook who finally located her
(c) A family of brown bears
(d) It is raining hard
2. How does Hetty return to the castle?
(a) Wah-ta-Wah brings her.
(b) She is brought by an Iroquois boy.
(c) She returns alone in a canoe.
(d) Her father and Harry bring her back.
3. What creates a problem for meeting Wah-ta-Wah at the place she tells Hetty for them to find her?
(a) They do not know where the Iroquois have gone.
(b) They cannot find the place.
(c) The Iroquois camp has been moved near the spot.
(d) The Iroquois have Wah-ta-Wah tied to a tree.
4. What new value does the old chest take on at that time?
(a) It is mentioned as a possible exchange for Hutter and Harry.
(b) It is suggested that it will hold fine fabrics for the girls to make new dresses.
(c) It is suspected that it will provide for Judith and Hetty.
(d) It is imagined to be filled with contraband.
5. Why is Chingachgook coming to that area?
(a) He is looking for his wife who was abducted by Briarthorn.
(b) He wants to catch the huge fish that are in the lake.
(c) He is coming to hunt moose.
(d) He is planning to start a settlement there.
6. What strange thing do they find in the chest?
(a) A sailing device that none of them recognizes
(b) A set of silver dinnerware
(c) A pair of boots that are too small to be Hutter's
(d) A treasure map
7. Who interrogates Deerslayer?
(a) The tribal council
(c) Chief Ravenoak
(d) The old woman he grabbed
8. How do Hutter, March, and Deerslayer secure Muskrat Castle on the island in the middle of the lake?
(a) They build a circle of fire around the house.
(b) They send a carrier pidgeon to the garrison.
(c) They find all the canoes hidden along the lake shore and take them to the middle of the lake.
(d) They establish a watch throughout the night.
9. How do the Iroquois discover Hetty's mental capacity?
(a) They see that she is not afraid of them.
(b) Wah-ta-Wah explains it to them.
(c) They already know because they had heard the tales.
(d) Hutter tells them his daughter is afflicted.
10. What shows the strong character of Deerslayer in the opening of the novel?
(a) His willingness to compromise for a friend
(b) His insistance on having the land surveyed
(c) His promise to go to the authorities if anything were to happen to any man who marries Judith.
(d) His refusal to take part in any war
11. What do they find when they get to the Iroquois encampment?
(a) The soldiers are there.
(b) They are having a war dance.
(c) It is on fire.
(d) It is gone.
12. What has Hutter found and shows to March and Deerslayer?
(a) A moccasin
(b) Some deer antlers
(c) An arrow
(d) A French made rifle
13. What was the reaction of the Iroquois about Hutter and Harry wanting scalps?
(a) They think the men were crazy.
(b) Recognizing the importance of scalps, they are not angered.
(c) They discuss taking Hetty's scalp to teach them a lesson.
(d) They do not believe white men would come for scalps.
14. What does Judith try to do?
(a) Keep Hutter and Harry entertained while Deerslayer and Chingachgook slip away.
(b) Dress as a boy and go with Deerslayer and Chingachgook.
(c) Prevent Deerslayer from going with Chingachgook.
(d) Get Hetty to open the chest again.
15. Why does Deerslayer allow himself to be captured by the Iroquois?
(a) So he can find out more about the Iroquois plans.
(b) So Chingachgook and Wah-ta-Wah can escape.
(c) So he can challenge Brairthorn.
(d) So they won't attack the Ark.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the warriors discussing when Deerslayer and Chingachgook approach the camp?
2. What possibility causes Hutter a great deal of anxiety?
3. What does Judith try to find out from Deerslayer?
4. As Hetty wanders in the forest looking for the Iroquois, who finds her?
5. What complicates Wah-ta-Wah's rescue?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)