|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Judith try to do?
(a) Keep Hutter and Harry entertained while Deerslayer and Chingachgook slip away.
(b) Prevent Deerslayer from going with Chingachgook.
(c) Dress as a boy and go with Deerslayer and Chingachgook.
(d) Get Hetty to open the chest again.
2. After the house is secure, what does Deerslayer agree to do?
(a) Sink all the Indian canoes they found around the lake.
(b) Go on a scalp hunting expedition with Harry and Hutter.
(c) Take the watch all night long so the others can sleep.
(d) Take Harry and Hutter ashore and return for them on Harry's signal.
3. What does Hetty do to try and win the release of her father and Harry?
(a) She lies down on the ground and begins to cry.
(b) She offers to marry the chief.
(c) She reads Bible passages to them.
(d) She tells them where they can find the French.
4. What are the warriors discussing when Deerslayer and Chingachgook approach the camp?
(a) How they plan to surprise the British.
(b) Why they are upset at being left with the women.
(c) The elephant chess pieces
(d) Where they can find deer to kill.
5. What are Harry and Hutter planning when they get to the Iroquois encampment?
(a) Carrying off two of their women
(b) Enlisting them to help guard Muskrat Castle
(c) Taking the chief hostage
(d) Taking Indian scalps
6. Who interrogates Deerslayer?
(a) The old woman he grabbed
(b) The tribal council
(c) Chief Ravenoak
7. For what does Deerslayer prepare himself?
(a) Going without food or water
(c) Fighting Briarthorn
8. As Hetty wanders in the forest looking for the Iroquois, who finds her?
(b) A small Iroquois boy
(c) The captain of the garrison
(d) Wa-ta-Wah, Chingachgook's wife
9. Why Deerslayer is more interested in Hetty than in Judith.
(a) Because Hetty is the elder one
(b) Because of Hetty's retarded mental condition
(c) Because Hetty is the more beautiful one
(d) Because Hetty inherited her mother's wealth
10. What warning is Hetty given before she gets to the Iroquois encampment?
(a) Not to mention her father or Harry or Chingachgook
(b) Not to mention the brown bears
(c) Not to turn her back on the chief
(d) Not to tell them where she came from
11. What happens when Deerslayer wakes the following morning?
(a) He makes bird calls to see if Harry will reply.
(b) He paddles quickly to shore to look for Harry and Hutter.
(c) He goes up to the house for breakfast.
(d) An Iroquois on shore shoots at him.
12. What has Hutter found and shows to March and Deerslayer?
(a) A French made rifle
(b) A moccasin
(c) Some deer antlers
(d) An arrow
13. How do Harry March and Deerslayer get to Muskrat Castle?
(a) On a ferry that runs three times a day
(b) By swimming out to the island
(c) When Thomas Hutter picked them up in his boat
(d) In a canoe March had hidden near the lake
14. How does Hetty return to the castle?
(a) She returns alone in a canoe.
(b) Her father and Harry bring her back.
(c) She is brought by an Iroquois boy.
(d) Wah-ta-Wah brings her.
15. What creates a problem for meeting Wah-ta-Wah at the place she tells Hetty for them to find her?
(a) They do not know where the Iroquois have gone.
(b) They cannot find the place.
(c) The Iroquois have Wah-ta-Wah tied to a tree.
(d) The Iroquois camp has been moved near the spot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Deerslayer have to tell Judith and Hetty?
2. What does Chingachgook relate when he arrives?
3. What does Deerslayer find that he interprets as a threat of war?
4. What was the reaction of the Iroquois about Hutter and Harry wanting scalps?
5. What conversation passes between Deerslayer and the Iroquois?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)