|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Deerslayer turns his back on the Iroquois?
(a) He hears the screams of Harry and Hutter coming from the camp.
(b) The Indian tries to kill him but Deerslayer gets the Iroquois instead.
(c) The Iroquois watches him closely to see that he does not return.
(d) The Iroquois turns around and goes back empty handed.
2. When Chingachgook arrives, why do Judith and Hetty not understand their conversation?
(a) They talk too softly for the girls to hear.
(b) They speak in the Delaware language.
(c) They speak only in sign language.
(d) They speak French.
3. Instead of Harry's prearranged signal, what does Deerslayer hear?
(a) War drums
(c) A woman scream
(d) The cry of a wounded moose
4. What does the discussion about scalping do for the novel?
(a) It foreshadows what will happen to Judith and Hetty.
(b) It proves that both white and Indian men are without morality.
(c) It sets up an ongoing conflict throughout the story.
(d) It gives historical background to the Seven Years War.
5. Why is Chingachgook coming to that area?
(a) He wants to catch the huge fish that are in the lake.
(b) He is looking for his wife who was abducted by Briarthorn.
(c) He is planning to start a settlement there.
(d) He is coming to hunt moose.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the dying Iroquois say to Deerslayer?
2. What is the purpose of the detailed description of the bedroom of Judith and Hetty in the novel?
3. What is Judith's suggestion about securing the release of Hutter and Harry?
4. What shows the strong character of Deerslayer in the opening of the novel?
5. What problem does going to talk with the Iroquois pose for Deerslayer?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)