|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the ship that brought down the Cumberland?
2. What word(s) signaled to Lucas that double talk was being dropped?
3. How much money was in the cash shipment?
4. Where would Lee rather be?
5. What did Admiral Sandecker say in regards to Pitt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Moran going to tell the press regarding the President's cabinet?
2. What insults were used in regard to the President of the U.S. from Moran, and what does this say about his character?
3. Why was it of special dismay to Lugovoy that his deadline was moved up?
4. What are the two ways to scuttle a ship and collect insurance, and which was likely employed?
5. Why wasn't Mendoza with Pitt and his crew as they discovered the Pilottown?
6. Why would the young woman have not been watched in the vault?
7. What is described in Chapter 25?
8. What is Hemlock the most well known for? How was the Hemlock administered to the victims?
9. How was Dover wrong in one respect, but correct in another?
10. How did Moran nurture a carefully controlled public image?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the influence of Al Giordino and Admiral Sandecker. How do they come through for Dirk? How has Dirk come through for them? Describe their relationship with Dirk, and how it affects the development of the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Dirk and Loren's relationship. Why do you think he went after her so many times, and yet was still asking Ms. Mendoza out for dinner? What kind of relationship do Dirk and Loren have? What adds friction to this relationship, and what do you think brings them closer together?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Dirk Pitt as a character. What kind of person is he? How does he treat women in general? What are his biggest vices? What are his greatest weaknesses? Explain how you came to these answers.
This section contains 1,798 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)