|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Tsu doing at the river in Chapter 8?
2. To what does Tsu compare the Ganges?
3. What does Mitsuko read about in the paper in Chapter 13?
4. In spite of what did Onion love his disciples?
5. By Chapter 12, how many American tourists have arrived at the hotel with the Japanese group is staying?
Short Essay Questions
1. Of what is Tsu capable only in his dreams?
2. Why does Isobe travel out to a village near the city?
3. Of what are the tourists concerned after the assassination in Chapter 9?
4. Where does Isobe go despite concerns about civil unrest?
5. What did the Catholic priests tell Tsu he should do if he believed Gandhi's quote, and what does Tsu do?
6. Why does Tsu leave Mitsuko after talking briefly with her?
7. What does Isobe witness as he is getting drunk and wandering the streets in Chapter 10?
8. What does Numada do with the myna bird he bought?
9. How does Sanja think he will make a name for himself as a photographer?
10. Where is Tsu staying in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
Define plot and include the definitions of the most important elements of a plot. Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not? Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Deep River, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot? Give a brief synopsis of any important sub-plots.
Essay Topic 2
Numada's story also brings up the theme of sacrifice. The myna bird sacrifices its life for Numada's.
Why do you think Numada believes the myna gave up its life for him? Discuss reasons Numada feels such a deep connection with animals. Use examples from Deep River to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Each of the characters have seen or been a part of some sacrifice in their lives.
Discuss what you think sacrifice means to Kiguchi, Mitsuko, Tsu, and Numada.
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)