|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, how many of the tourists decide to stay in the city rather than going on with the bus?
2. What does Mitsuko ask Tsu in Chapter 10 if he believes in?
3. How does Mr. Sanja respond to the begging children in Chapter 13?
4. What does Numada buy at the pet shop?
5. How does Tsu respond to the priests' words, as described in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. When do the Hindus and Tsu rise in the morning?
2. What does Isobe think about the fortuneteller he visits in Chapter 9?
3. What quote does Tsu read of Mahatma Gandhi's?
4. What has Kiguchi read recently about good and evil?
5. What does Tsu feel he is doing when he carries an old, dying woman to the river?
6. Why is wrong with Kiguchi in Chapter 8, and how is Mitsuko involved?
7. Where is Tsu staying in Chapter 9?
8. Of what are the tourists concerned after the assassination in Chapter 9?
9. Of what is Tsu capable only in his dreams?
10. What significance is there to the next day, October 31st?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is used in almost all works of fiction. Discuss the following:
What is foreshadowing? Identify three instances of foreshadowing in Deep River and what they foreshadow. How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense? Are there any incidences that you thought foreshadows a future event, but it does not do so?
Essay Topic 2
Reincarnation is talked about throughout the book.
Discuss what you think are the characters’ and the author’s view on reincarnation. Use examples from Deep River to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Mitsuko looks for Tsu several times in the book both in France and in India.
Discuss the reasons you think Mitsuko keeps looking for Tsu and if you think she has found what she is looking for. Use examples from Deep River to support your discussion.
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)