|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mitsuko say about the Ganges?
2. How does Tsu feel about Jesus?
3. Where is Tsu staying in Chapter 9?
4. Why does Kiguchi chant what he chants in Chapter 12?
5. What was Tsu doing at the river in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kiguchi say to Mitsuko on the bus about Americans and Japanese?
2. Why does Isobe travel out to a village near the city?
3. What does Tsu feel he is doing when he carries an old, dying woman to the river?
4. What does Kiguchi do in remembrance of his friend and other dead soldiers?
5. Why is wrong with Kiguchi in Chapter 8, and how is Mitsuko involved?
6. What happens when a group of Hindus see Sanja taking pictures of forbidden subjects?
7. Where is Tsu staying in Chapter 9?
8. What does Isobe think about the fortuneteller he visits in Chapter 9?
9. What does Numada do with the myna bird he bought?
10. What does Isobe think as he throws his empty bottle into the river in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Deep River. Are these universal symbols that would have the same meaning in any culture? What other symbols could portray the same idea? Why do you think Endo chooses the symbols he does? Consider the symbols of the myna bird, the Ginko tree and the Ganges in your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Deep River belongs to the historical fiction genre. Discuss the following:
Define the literary term "genre" and name three other genres in addition to the historical fiction genre. What are the advantages and disadvantages of assigning a genre to a novel? What do you think is the difference between a historical fiction and a historical novel or mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Reincarnation is talked about throughout the book.
Discuss what you think are the characters’ and the author’s view on reincarnation. Use examples from Deep River to support your discussion.
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)