|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part did the Sikhs on Gandhi's security detail have in the events of the day in Chapter 9?
2. In Chapter 9, when does Enami say he will see the group that stayed back in the city?
3. How does Tsu say his Onion was brought to life?
4. What happens to Indira Gandhi in Chapter 9?
5. About what has Kiguchi been reading in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tsu leave Mitsuko after talking briefly with her?
2. What does Kiguchi do in remembrance of his friend and other dead soldiers?
3. What does Tsu say when Mitsuko asks if he believes in reincarnation?
4. How does Mitsuko feel as she joins the Hindus in a prayer at the river?
5. What does Tsu tell Mitsuko as to why he dresses as he does?
6. What has Kiguchi read recently about good and evil?
7. What does Kiguchi say to Mitsuko on the bus about Americans and Japanese?
8. Where is Tsu staying in Chapter 9?
9. What do Mitsuko and Numada witness, and what are Mitsuko's feelings about the event?
10. What significance is there to the next day, October 31st?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action-driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
What do you think it means to say that a plot is character-driven or action-driven? Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why? Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character are developed to the same degree? Why or why not? What type of plot do you think Deep River is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
Analyze and discuss what you think are the characteristics of a successful novel and why Deep River is or is not a successful novel based on your criteria. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Deep River. Trace and analyze one major theme of Deep River. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)