|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Moïra seduce?
2. Where do pilgrims come to bathe?
3. What ailment does Isobe's wife have?
4. What does the snake charmer have in his performance?
5. How does Mr. Sanja see this trip as part of his work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why dose Enami become irritated with the Sanja couple in Chapter 6?
2. What story does Gaston tell Tsukada when he confesses about the meat in Burma?
3. What is Enami's warning to Mr. Sanja?
4. What thoughts go through Isobe's mind about his wife as he sits in his hotel room in Chapter 7?
5. What does the snake charmer in the garden do?
6. For what does Isobe tell Mitsuko he is searching?
7. In Kiguchi's flashback, how do the soldiers feed themselves along the Highway of Death?
8. What happens when Mitsuko tires of sleeping with Tsu?
9. How does Mitsuko force Tsu to drink at a party, and what happens?
10. What does Kiguchi think regarding Enami and the horrors Kiguchi exprienced in Burma?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Isobe seems lost without his wife. He goes to India after her death.
What are Isobe reasons for traveling to India? Are his expectations fulfilled? Does he find anything worthwhile in India? What might it be? Use examples from Deep River to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Mitsuko looks for Tsu several times in the book both in France and in India.
Discuss the reasons you think Mitsuko keeps looking for Tsu and if you think she has found what she is looking for. Use examples from Deep River to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Deep River. Are these universal symbols that would have the same meaning in any culture? What other symbols could portray the same idea? Why do you think Endo chooses the symbols he does? Consider the symbols of the myna bird, the Ginko tree and the Ganges in your discussion.
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)