|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Keiko urge Isobe to do as she comes out of a coma for a minute?
2. Who comforts Numada when his parents are going through the process of a divorce?
3. What is the weather like as Kiguchi and Tsukada walk in Chapter 5?
4. What does Tsu write in his letters to Mitsuko that she reads when awakened in the middle of the night?
5. What does Numada learn about Isobe when Numada asks his advice about the present?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Numada say to Enami about the trees in India?
2. What happens when Mitsuko tires of sleeping with Tsu?
3. What is Enami's warning to Mr. Sanja?
4. What does Kiguchi ask Enami about doing while Kiguchi is in India?
5. About what does Mrs. Sanja complain while riding on the bus?
6. How does Mitsuko feel about her time in the hospital?
7. What story does Gaston tell Tsukada when he confesses about the meat in Burma?
8. In Kiguchi's flashback, how do the soldiers feed themselves along the Highway of Death?
9. What do some of the students try to get Mitsuko to do concerning Tsu in Chapter 3, and to what is that likened?
10. For what does Isobe tell Mitsuko he is searching?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kiguchi is taking a tour to India.
Discuss what Kiguchi hopes to find in India and the ultimate outcome of that hope. Use examples from Deep River to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
Define plot and include the definitions of the most important elements of a plot. Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not? Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Deep River, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot? Give a brief synopsis of any important sub-plots.
Essay Topic 3
Mitsuko looks for Tsu several times in the book both in France and in India.
Discuss the reasons you think Mitsuko keeps looking for Tsu and if you think she has found what she is looking for. Use examples from Deep River to support your discussion.
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)