|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What wakes Mitsuko from a sound sleep at the seedy hotel?
2. What is Enami's role in the group?
3. Who comforts Numada when his parents are going through the process of a divorce?
4. What do ill pilgrims have done to their bodies when they die?
5. Where do Mitsuko and her new husband go for their honeymoon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Mitsuko eventually marry?
2. What story does Gaston tell Tsukada when he confesses about the meat in Burma?
3. Who is helping to care for Isobe, and what does he ask her not to tell Keiko?
4. Why do pilgrims go to the Ganges River?
5. What does Keiko ask Isobe to do as she wakes briefly from a coma before she dies?
6. What does Kiguchi ask Enami about doing while Kiguchi is in India?
7. What happens when Mitsuko tires of sleeping with Tsu?
8. Why dose Enami become irritated with the Sanja couple in Chapter 6?
9. What is Enami's warning to Mr. Sanja?
10. What happens to the myna bird Numada acquires, as described in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Reincarnation is talked about throughout the book.
Discuss what you think are the characters’ and the author’s view on reincarnation. Use examples from Deep River to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is used in almost all works of fiction. Discuss the following:
What is foreshadowing? Identify three instances of foreshadowing in Deep River and what they foreshadow. How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense? Are there any incidences that you thought foreshadows a future event, but it does not do so?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Deep River. Trace and analyze one major theme of Deep River. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)