|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Kiguchi and Enami when Chapter 5 opens?
2. Who are the Sanja's?
3. What does Numada learn about Isobe when Numada asks his advice about the present?
4. Who stays with Kiguchi in the jungle?
5. What is Mitsuko determined to make Tsu do in their school days?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Isobe learn about his wife in Chapter 1?
2. What does Tsukada ask of Kiguchi ten years after the two encounter each other in Tokyo?
3. In Kiguchi's flashback, how do the soldiers feed themselves along the Highway of Death?
4. What information does Enami give the Japanese who are about to go to India on a tour?
5. What do some of the students try to get Mitsuko to do concerning Tsu in Chapter 3, and to what is that likened?
6. What does Numada say to Enami about the trees in India?
7. For what does Isobe tell Mitsuko he is searching?
8. How does Mitsuko feel about her time in the hospital?
9. What does Kiguchi ask Enami about doing while Kiguchi is in India?
10. What does Kiguchi think regarding Enami and the horrors Kiguchi exprienced in Burma?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
Define plot and include the definitions of the most important elements of a plot. Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not? Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Deep River, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot? Give a brief synopsis of any important sub-plots.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
Identify the protagonists of the story and why you believe they are such. Identify the antagonists of the story and why you believe they are such. Which three secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot? Which, if any, characters are not essential to the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Kiguchi is taking a tour to India.
Discuss what Kiguchi hopes to find in India and the ultimate outcome of that hope. Use examples from Deep River to support your discussion.
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)