|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Enami going for a doctor in Chapter 8?
(a) Kiguchi is ill.
(b) Mrs. Sanja fell and twisted her ankle.
(c) Mitsuko is ill.
(d) Mr. Sanja is bitten by a dog.
2. In Chapter 13, what does it say that Indira Gandhi fails to do?
(a) Lead the country into prosperity.
(b) Care about the outcasts.
(c) Bring harmony to India.
(d) Gain the trust of her people.
3. What does Mitsuko read about in the paper in Chapter 13?
(b) A new technological era arising.
(c) Peace talks.
(d) Japan's burgeoning economy.
4. What is the date on the next day after Isobe's visit to the village in Chapter 9?
(a) November 31.
(b) November 3.
(c) October 20.
(d) October 31.
5. Who does Mitsuko learn is also staying in the city where she is?
(a) Her aunt.
(b) A well-known Baba.
(c) Her sister.
6. What does Numada buy at the pet shop?
(a) A hornbill.
(b) A toothless cobra.
(c) A myna bird.
(d) A mongoose.
7. What does Isobe observe a group of Indians do in Chapter 10?
(a) Roll over a bus.
(b) Offer doves at the temple.
(c) Beat a Sikh.
(d) Smash the plate glass of a store.
8. Who is carried off on a stretcher in Chapter 13?
(a) Mrs. Sanja.
(d) Mr. Sanja.
9. In Chapter 9, when does Enami say he will see the group that stayed back in the city?
(a) The next day.
(b) He will be unable to return, but is sending someone else.
(c) In three days.
(d) It will be at least four days.
10. What type of clothes does Tsu wear in Chapter 10?
(a) Western garb.
(b) Clothes that an outcast would wear.
(c) Traditional Japanese robes.
(d) Robes like a Buddhist monk.
11. What does Tsu try to do for Mr. Sanja in Chapter 13?
(a) Force him to leave the area.
(b) Help him take pictures without being seen.
(c) Stop a group of Hindus rushing to beat him up.
(d) Introduce him to some family members of a woman who just died.
12. Who is drawn into a conversation with an American woman in Chapter 12?
13. What happens near the cremation grounds in Chapter 13?
(a) A crowd is on their knees praying.
(b) A commotion breaks out.
(c) A fire gets out of control.
(d) A flock of doves is released.
14. Why does Isobe visit a fortuneteller?
(a) To see if the University was wrong.
(b) To find out his fortune.
(c) To see if he can contact Keiko.
(d) To learn where the little girl is.
15. What does Numada have with him in the taxi in Chapter 12?
(a) A picture of each of his beloved animals.
(c) The myna bird.
(d) A suitcase of letters.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Kiguchi talk to Mitsuko when they are at the river in Chapter 12?
2. In Chapter 10, what does Isobe realize he believes?
3. Where does Tsu think his Onion resides?
4. What happens to Indira Gandhi in Chapter 9?
5. In spite of what did Onion love his disciples?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)