|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What belief does the quote that Tsy reads in Chapter 11 say?
(a) That the poor shall be with you always.
(b) That water is the most patient element.
(c) That politics and religion have the same goals.
(d) That God can be found in all religions.
2. What does narration say in Chapter 11 could hardly be called a room?
(a) The shack by the river where Tsu prays.
(b) The place where the dead poor are laid to prepare them.
(c) The dining room at Tsu's cheap hostel.
(d) The area Tsu occupies to sleep.
3. In Chapter 8, how many of the tourists decide to stay in the city rather than going on with the bus?
4. What is the date on the next day after Isobe's visit to the village in Chapter 9?
(a) October 31.
(b) November 31.
(c) November 3.
(d) October 20.
5. What does Enami tell Mitsuko and the others when he phones them concerning Ghandi?
(a) That nothing is likely to happen unless she dies of the illness.
(b) They should be careful outside of their motel.
(c) That he has arranged a bus to come get them and take them to a safer location.
(d) That unless the high court holds up the impeachment, no problems are anticipated.
6. Where does Tsu return at the opening of Chapter 11?
(a) The church.
(b) The river.
(c) The grocery store.
(d) A stone house.
7. Where does Mr. Sanja plan to go to take some pictures in Chapter 13?
(a) To the Ganges.
(b) Where a protest is being held by Sikhs.
(c) Where a protest is being held by Hindus.
(d) The zoo.
8. What does Isobe warn Mr. Sanja to forgo photographing?
9. Who is Rajini?
(a) A woman who helps Tsu.
(b) A young girl who washes the clothes for hotel guests.
(c) An older woman who works in the Catholic church rectory.
(d) The name of the girl who is supposedly Keiko's reincarnation.
10. In Chapter 10, what does Isobe realize he believes?
(a) An indifferent god.
(b) A god of death.
(c) His own way.
11. When does Mitsuko awaken from a nap in Chapter 8?
(a) When Enami brings her dinner.
(b) When Kiguchi calls out.
(c) When the doctor comes to check on her.
(d) When the tourists return from the Ganges.
12. Where is Tsu staying in Chapter 9?
(a) At a Catholic seminary.
(b) At a seedy hotel near the Ganges.
(c) At a Hindu ashram.
(d) At a youth hostel.
13. What tension are the tourists not aware of concerning the Sikhs?
(a) Their homeland was invaded recently.
(b) They are often persecuted for their odd culture.
(c) Their conflict with accepted medical care.
(d) Their conflict with the Hindus.
14. What does Kiguchi remark upon concerning the Americans and Japanese?
(a) He will never forgive Nagasaki where he lost his whole family.
(b) They will never be able to totally forgive each other.
(c) He is happy the two nationalities have forged a strong bond.
(d) They were killing each other forty years ago.
15. How does Numada repay an animal that gave its life for Numada?
(a) By never again owning another dog.
(b) By lecturing people about animal rights.
(c) By contributing to a fund for endangered species.
(d) By freeing the myna bird.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mitsuko say about the Ganges?
2. What wakes Mitsuko at the opening of Chapter 8?
3. Where does Tsu meet Mitsuko in Chapter 10?
4. What character in the Bible is present in Tsu's dream in Chapter 11?
5. What does Tsu try to do for Mr. Sanja in Chapter 13?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)