|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tsu wear the type of clothing he does in Chapter 10?
(a) So he can carry the indigent dying.
(b) So he can fit into the Indian culture.
(c) So he is not detained by immigration.
(d) So he can remind himself of his heritage.
2. What does Mitsuko find when she rushes over to Tsu in Chapter 13?
(a) He has a broken arm.
(b) He is dead.
(c) He is not badly harmed.
(d) His neck is twisted.
3. When does Mitsuko awaken from a nap in Chapter 8?
(a) When Kiguchi calls out.
(b) When the tourists return from the Ganges.
(c) When Enami brings her dinner.
(d) When the doctor comes to check on her.
4. What is the date on the next day after Isobe's visit to the village in Chapter 9?
(a) November 31.
(b) October 31.
(c) October 20.
(d) November 3.
5. What does Numada buy at the pet shop?
(a) A myna bird.
(b) A toothless cobra.
(c) A mongoose.
(d) A hornbill.
6. At what time do the Hindus with whom Tsu rooms arise?
(a) 3:30 a.m.
(b) 10:00 a.m.
(c) 5:30 a.m.
(d) It varies depending on the day of the week.
7. How does Mr. Sanja plan to make a name for himself?
(a) By recording the thoughts and photos of some of the well-known Indian politicians.
(b) By photographing Gandhi's memorial sevice.
(c) By photographing the Sikhs who are being hung for conspiracy.
(d) By photographing forbidden rituals.
8. What type of clothes does Tsu wear in Chapter 10?
(a) Traditional Japanese robes.
(b) Robes like a Buddhist monk.
(c) Clothes that an outcast would wear.
(d) Western garb.
9. On what plan has Kuguchi not followed through, as described in Chapter 12?
(a) To hold a Buddhist service.
(b) To immerse in the Ganges.
(c) To write his brother and ask forgiveness.
(d) To write a poem for Gaston.
10. What does Tsu find when he leaves the building and goes into the streets in Chapter 11?
(a) An old woman who has collapsed.
(b) Several dying dogs.
(c) An old man who has collapsed.
(d) A young child who is dead.
11. What happens near the cremation grounds in Chapter 13?
(a) A fire gets out of control.
(b) A crowd is on their knees praying.
(c) A commotion breaks out.
(d) A flock of doves is released.
12. How does Tsu feel about Jesus?
(c) Mildly interested in Jesus.
(d) Dubious as to all the claims about him.
13. What was Tsu doing at the river in Chapter 8?
(a) Meeting with groups of foreigners.
(b) Looking for Mitsuko.
(c) Selling prayer wheels.
(d) Carrying dead and dying people.
14. What does Mitsuko promise to do while Enami goes for the doctor?
(a) Go down and tell the bus driver they will be delayed.
(b) Watch the Sanja's child.
(c) Stay with Kiguchi.
(d) Find some ice for Mrs. Sanja's ankle.
15. Who is Rajini?
(a) The name of the girl who is supposedly Keiko's reincarnation.
(b) An older woman who works in the Catholic church rectory.
(c) A woman who helps Tsu.
(d) A young girl who washes the clothes for hotel guests.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tsu think his Onion resides?
2. How does Numada repay an animal that gave its life for Numada?
3. Why does Isobe visit a fortuneteller?
4. What do the Catholic priests tell Tsu about believing in the quote from Chapter 11?
5. Where does Tsu return at the opening of Chapter 11?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)