|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What belief does the quote that Tsy reads in Chapter 11 say?
(a) That politics and religion have the same goals.
(b) That God can be found in all religions.
(c) That the poor shall be with you always.
(d) That water is the most patient element.
2. When does Mitsuko awaken from a nap in Chapter 8?
(a) When Enami brings her dinner.
(b) When the tourists return from the Ganges.
(c) When Kiguchi calls out.
(d) When the doctor comes to check on her.
3. What does Mitsuko read about in the paper in Chapter 13?
(b) Peace talks.
(c) A new technological era arising.
(d) Japan's burgeoning economy.
4. In Chapter 8, how many of the tourists decide to stay in the city rather than going on with the bus?
5. What tension are the tourists not aware of concerning the Sikhs?
(a) Their homeland was invaded recently.
(b) Their conflict with the Hindus.
(c) Their conflict with accepted medical care.
(d) They are often persecuted for their odd culture.
6. What illness did Kiguchi have in the Army?
(a) Typhoid fever.
7. What do the Catholic priests tell Tsu about believing in the quote from Chapter 11?
(a) He is wise beyond his years.
(b) He is a blasphemer and will spend eternity in hell if he does not change.
(c) He should leave the Catholic church.
(d) He needs to re-study the passages and understand the real meaning to the quote.
8. What does Mitsuko say about the Ganges?
(a) It is deep enough to embrace everyone.
(b) It is dirty.
(c) It is holy.
(d) It is just a river.
9. On what plan has Kuguchi not followed through, as described in Chapter 12?
(a) To write a poem for Gaston.
(b) To immerse in the Ganges.
(c) To hold a Buddhist service.
(d) To write his brother and ask forgiveness.
10. Who is drawn into a conversation with an American woman in Chapter 12?
11. How does Tsu say his Onion was brought to life?
(a) He believes his Onion never actually died.
(b) In the hearts of the Onion's disciples.
(c) Through his Onion's faith.
(d) He does not believe his Onion came back to life.
12. Where does Tsu return at the opening of Chapter 11?
(a) The river.
(b) The church.
(c) A stone house.
(d) The grocery store.
13. Why does Isobe travel out to a village in Chapter 8?
(a) To inquire after a cousin who used to be a doctor in that village.
(b) To see if a little girl there might be his reincarnated wife.
(c) To meet up with an old war buddy.
(d) To meet with a holy man.
14. What happens to Indira Gandhi in Chapter 9?
(a) She is elected prime minister.
(b) She is impeached.
(c) She is assassinated.
(d) She falls gravely ill.
15. Why does Kiguchi chant what he chants in Chapter 12?
(a) To honor his friend and other soldiers who died in the war.
(b) To try to find a connection to something outside himself.
(c) To ask for a vision.
(d) To show Mitsuko what it sounds like to chant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Isobe learn about the little girl he is trying to locate?
2. Why are the Sanjas annoyed with the other tourists at the hotel?
3. What is Mitsuko's reply to being asked about her religion?
4. What does Mitsuko promise to do while Enami goes for the doctor?
5. How does Tsu feel about Jesus?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)