|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Sanja do constantly on the bus?
(c) Talk about her dead son.
(d) Hum to herself.
2. What is Enami's role in the group?
3. What surprises Kiguchi about the Buddhists in India?
(a) They do not believe in reincarnation.
(b) They are so violent.
(c) They do not practice regular meditation.
(d) There are so few of them.
4. Who/what does Isobe's wife saying she has been talking to?
(a) A lizard.
(b) A ginko tree.
(c) Her deceased mother.
(d) A hummingbird.
5. What does Naruse Mitsuko think about after Isobe leaves the informational meeting?
(a) A boy she tormented.
(b) Where Keiko is now.
(c) Whether she would reincarnate or not.
(d) Her lack of beliefs in a god.
6. What is the nationality of the tourists on the bus in Chapter 6?
(d) A mixture of European, Japanese and American.
7. What instrument does Tsu play?
8. What do some students try to get Mitsuko to do concerning Tsu in Chapter 3?
(a) Seduce him.
(b) Convert him back to Buddhism.
(c) Trick him.
(d) Convert him to Catholicism.
9. What does Keiko urge Isobe to do as she comes out of a coma for a minute?
(a) Take care of her mother.
(b) Find her when she is reborn.
(c) Make peace with his daughter.
(d) Be happy.
10. What ailment does Isobe's wife have?
(a) Bad arthritis.
(c) Bad heart.
(d) Broken pelvis.
11. What does Tsu do every day after class?
(a) Practices the piano.
(b) Plays football.
(c) Goes to the chapel to pray.
(d) Writes his parents.
12. Who stays with Kiguchi in the jungle?
(a) A squad of bomb experts.
(b) Just Tsukada.
(c) No one.
(d) Three of his still-living squad members.
13. How many affairs did Isobe have during his marriage?
(b) Four or five.
(d) Two or three.
14. What pet does Numada get as an adult that his wife does not like?
(a) A cat.
(b) A pot-bellied pig.
(c) A hornbill.
(d) A ferret.
15. How is Tsu described in Chapter 3?
(a) Vivacious and talkative.
(b) Awkward and religious.
(d) Athletic and strong.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kiguchi and Tsukada's physical condition in the flashback as they are walking?
2. What is Mrs. Sanja's attitude towards the native children?
3. Why does Numada go into the hospital?
4. What does Enami say about the fighting where Kiguchi was in the war?
5. Where is Numada headed on the plane in Chapter 4?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)