|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comforts Numada when his parents are going through the process of a divorce?
(a) His favorite teacher at school.
(b) His best friend whose parents are already divorced.
(c) His dog.
(d) His older sister.
2. How long after death do Buddhists believe a soul is reborn?
(a) By the 49th day.
(b) Within one year after death.
(c) The soul must wait at least until all those in the immediate family are dead.
(d) It depends on what the soul chooses.
3. Who is the only person in the restaurant where Numada goes after a shower in Chapter 6?
(b) Mr. Sanja.
(c) The waiter.
4. What is Kiguchi and Tsukada's physical condition in the flashback as they are walking?
(a) Strong and robust.
(b) Malnourished and starving.
(d) Weak but not failing.
5. What does Numada ask about the existence of in the area where they are?
(a) Laws preventing child labor.
(b) Laws prohibiting other religions.
(d) Animal and bird sanctuaries.
6. What surrounds the Vishvan'tha temple?
(a) Small shops.
(b) A canal.
(c) A wrought-iron fence.
(d) A high hedge.
7. How does Mitsuko enjoy sex with Tsu?
(a) She thinks it is better than he believed sex would be.
(b) She is disturbed by it.
(c) She is detached.
(d) It makes her fall in love with Tsu.
8. How does Mr. Sanja see this trip as part of his work?
(a) He's thinking of expanding his factories into other countries.
(b) He thinks there may be a market in India for his cars.
(c) He wants to take pictures of India.
(d) He is a sociology professor and is studying the local culture to publish a paper.
9. What ailment does Isobe's wife have?
(a) Bad arthritis.
(b) Broken pelvis.
(c) Bad heart.
10. Who stays with Kiguchi in the jungle?
(a) A squad of bomb experts.
(b) No one.
(c) Three of his still-living squad members.
(d) Just Tsukada.
11. Who are the Sanja's?
(a) Two elderly sisters on the tour.
(b) A couple on their honeymoon.
(c) Two brothers on the tour.
(d) An elderly woman and her son.
12. What happens when some coal goes missing at Numada's home when he is a boy?
(a) His father suspects a neighbor and accuses the man.
(b) They fire Li.
(c) There's nothing that can be done.
(d) The family believes it is Numada's father's cousin and stop inviting him over.
13. Why does Numada go into the hospital?
(a) He has cancer.
(b) He as an infected leg.
(c) He has to have heart surgery.
(d) He has tuberculosis.
14. What is Mitsuko determined to make Tsu do in their school days?
(a) Renounce his belief in God.
(b) Date her sister.
(c) Confront his parents.
(d) Change his major.
15. Where do pilgrims come to bathe?
(a) A waterfall that is said to cry Jesus' tears.
(b) A spring known for miraculous healings.
(c) A mountain lake in the Himalayas.
(d) The Ganges River.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened in the forests the tourists traveled through when the British were still in charge in India?
2. What is said about the area where Numada is raised?
3. What is Mrs. Sanja's attitude towards the native children?
4. What does Joseph do to Moïra?
5. What does Kiguchi ask the tour guide about?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)