|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does Isobe say he is searching in Chapter 6?
(a) The reincarnated soul of his deceased wife.
(d) Someone to prove that the soul lives after death.
2. What happens when some coal goes missing at Numada's home when he is a boy?
(a) There's nothing that can be done.
(b) The family believes it is Numada's father's cousin and stop inviting him over.
(c) His father suspects a neighbor and accuses the man.
(d) They fire Li.
3. What is said about the area where Numada is raised?
(a) It is a lower-class area.
(b) It has mild winter temperatures.
(c) It is where many of the Russian elite live.
(d) It is a Christian area in a predominantly Hindu country.
4. Where do Mitsuko and her new husband go for their honeymoon?
(b) San Francisco.
5. Who does Numada's mother hire to help her?
(a) A Mongolian girl name Tse.
(b) No one; they can't afford help.
(c) A Chinese girl named Lin Sing.
(d) A Chinese boy named Li.
6. What is the Kultur Heim?
(a) An Indian restaurant.
(b) A chapel.
(c) A football stadium.
(d) A hospital.
7. What does Tsukada confess to Kiguchi about the meat Tsukada brought him?
(a) He has nothing of import to confess to Tsukada about the meat.
(b) It was human flesh.
(c) It was stolen from a family with many children.
(d) Tsukada killed someone to get the meat.
8. Why does Tsu drink until he throws up?
(a) He has never tried alcohol before and gets carried away.
(b) He is depressed.
(c) Mitsuko tells him if he stops drinking, it means he does not believe in God.
(d) He does not realize the sweet drinks are mixed with alcohol.
9. What does Numada do with his puppy when told to get rid of it?
(a) Trains it in secret.
(b) Gives it to his best friend.
(c) Shoots it.
(d) Releases it into the woods.
10. What is Mrs. Sanja's attitude towards the native children?
(a) They are ill and beggars.
(b) They steal.
(c) They are in need of some parental discipline.
(d) They are sweet.
11. Where do pilgrims come to bathe?
(a) The Ganges River.
(b) A spring known for miraculous healings.
(c) A waterfall that is said to cry Jesus' tears.
(d) A mountain lake in the Himalayas.
12. How does Mr. Sanja see this trip as part of his work?
(a) He is a sociology professor and is studying the local culture to publish a paper.
(b) He's thinking of expanding his factories into other countries.
(c) He wants to take pictures of India.
(d) He thinks there may be a market in India for his cars.
13. What is the nationality of the tourists on the bus in Chapter 6?
(a) A mixture of European, Japanese and American.
14. What do the soldiers eat as they are walking in Chapter 5?
(a) Bread and jerky.
15. Who comforts Numada when his parents are going through the process of a divorce?
(a) His dog.
(b) His best friend whose parents are already divorced.
(c) His older sister.
(d) His favorite teacher at school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Numada thinking of buying his wife in Chapter 4?
2. What is Kiguchi and Tsukada's physical condition in the flashback as they are walking?
3. What pet does Numada get as an adult that his wife does not like?
4. What lines the route of Kiguchi and Tsukada's retreat?
5. What does the hospital delay doing in hopes of giving Keiko a longer life?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)