|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do some students try to get Mitsuko to do concerning Tsu in Chapter 3?
(a) Seduce him.
(b) Convert him to Catholicism.
(c) Trick him.
(d) Convert him back to Buddhism.
2. What does the snake charmer have in his performance?
(a) Two mongoose and a hornbill.
(b) A cobra, a mongoose, and a two-headed snake.
(c) Just an old, toothless cobra.
(d) A cobra and a monkey.
3. What do ill pilgrims have done to their bodies when they die?
(a) Cremation and their ashes are scattered on the Ganges.
(b) Their ashes sent back to their families.
(c) Cremation and scattering ashes on the mountaintop.
(d) Buried in the forest above the waterfall.
4. Who claims to have been Japanese in a previous life?
(b) One of the street artists.
(c) A monk in a local temple.
(d) A young girl from Virginia.
5. What voices does Numada say he has sensed in India?
(a) The elephants.
(b) The orphaned children.
(c) The trees.
(d) The stray dogs.
6. What does Isobe write about his wife?
(a) Her daily prognosis.
(d) Funny stories.
7. Who does Moïra seduce?
(a) No one.
(b) Her cousin.
8. What did Isobe never expect concerning Keiko's death?
(a) That she would seem to welcome death.
(b) That she would die so quickly after becoming ill.
(c) That he would be so devastated by her death.
(d) That he would be so detached from her death.
9. Where did Numada grow up as a child?
10. How did Isobe view his wife when she was alive?
(a) As an intellectual.
(b) As a helpmate and supporter.
(c) As a sensual woman.
(d) As an object.
11. What do the Sanja's ask Numada to do in Chapter 6?
(a) Show them the gardens.
(b) Take their picture.
(c) Sit at their table.
(d) Help them mail a package.
12. What is Numada thinking of buying his wife in Chapter 4?
(a) A new wardrobe.
(b) A new car.
(c) A new home.
13. How does Mitsuko enjoy sex with Tsu?
(a) It makes her fall in love with Tsu.
(b) She thinks it is better than he believed sex would be.
(c) She is detached.
(d) She is disturbed by it.
14. What happens to young children who die in the town where the tourists are in Chapter 7?
(a) They are buried in caskets under the Ganges.
(b) They are cremated.
(c) They are set afloat in reed boats on the river.
(d) They are buried under a huge baobab tree.
15. What does Keiko dream that Isobe does?
(a) Calls and talks to his daughter.
(b) Leaves the stove on.
(c) Marries another woman.
(d) Flies away with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the Sanja's?
2. What was the occupation of the woman who was the opposite of Keiko with whom Isobe had an affair?
3. What does Numada learn about Isobe when Numada asks his advice about the present?
4. Where are Kiguchi and Tsukada walking together during Kiguchi's flashback?
5. Why does Numada go into the hospital?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)