|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mr. Sanja see this trip as part of his work?
(a) He wants to take pictures of India.
(b) He is a sociology professor and is studying the local culture to publish a paper.
(c) He's thinking of expanding his factories into other countries.
(d) He thinks there may be a market in India for his cars.
2. What voices does Numada say he has sensed in India?
(a) The orphaned children.
(b) The elephants.
(c) The trees.
(d) The stray dogs.
3. Who comforts Numada when his parents are going through the process of a divorce?
(a) His older sister.
(b) His best friend whose parents are already divorced.
(c) His favorite teacher at school.
(d) His dog.
4. Where did Numada grow up as a child?
5. What did Isobe never expect concerning Keiko's death?
(a) That she would seem to welcome death.
(b) That she would die so quickly after becoming ill.
(c) That he would be so detached from her death.
(d) That he would be so devastated by her death.
6. Where are Kiguchi and Enami when Chapter 5 opens?
(a) In a restaurant.
(b) At the beach.
(c) On a plane.
(d) On a train.
7. What was the occupation of the woman who was the opposite of Keiko with whom Isobe had an affair?
(d) Restaurant owner.
8. What does Tsukada confess to Kiguchi about the meat Tsukada brought him?
(a) Tsukada killed someone to get the meat.
(b) He has nothing of import to confess to Tsukada about the meat.
(c) It was stolen from a family with many children.
(d) It was human flesh.
9. What does Enami say about the fighting where Kiguchi was in the war?
(a) It was mild.
(b) It was fierce.
(c) There was not much fighting there.
(d) It was sporadic.
10. What is Numada thinking of buying his wife in Chapter 4?
(b) A new home.
(c) A new wardrobe.
(d) A new car.
11. What does Ch'mund' do despite being sick and emaciated?
(c) Give her milk to children.
(d) Give away charms.
12. What is Mr. Sanja's line of work?
(a) Car sales.
(d) Factory owner.
13. What happens to young children who die in the town where the tourists are in Chapter 7?
(a) They are buried under a huge baobab tree.
(b) They are set afloat in reed boats on the river.
(c) They are buried in caskets under the Ganges.
(d) They are cremated.
14. What happened in the forests the tourists traveled through when the British were still in charge in India?
(a) The British hung Indians from the trees.
(b) They were cut down for furniture for the British officers.
(c) Deserters hid out.
(d) The Indians attacked the British.
15. What is said about the area where Numada is raised?
(a) It has mild winter temperatures.
(b) It is where many of the Russian elite live.
(c) It is a lower-class area.
(d) It is a Christian area in a predominantly Hindu country.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the hospital delay doing in hopes of giving Keiko a longer life?
2. What surprises Kiguchi about the Buddhists in India?
3. What does Miss Naruse think Keiko already knows?
4. What does Numada do with his puppy when told to get rid of it?
5. What kind of books does Numada write?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)