|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What voices does Numada say he has sensed in India?
(a) The elephants.
(b) The stray dogs.
(c) The orphaned children.
(d) The trees.
2. What is the nationality of the tourists on the bus in Chapter 6?
(c) A mixture of European, Japanese and American.
3. What does Enami wonder about concerning Mitsuko in Chapter 7?
(a) If she is a little insane.
(b) What it would be like to sleep with her.
(c) If she is happy with the man she is writing all the time.
(d) Why she avoids Isobe.
4. Who claims to have been Japanese in a previous life?
(a) One of the street artists.
(c) A young girl from Virginia.
(d) A monk in a local temple.
5. What happens when some coal goes missing at Numada's home when he is a boy?
(a) They fire Li.
(b) The family believes it is Numada's father's cousin and stop inviting him over.
(c) There's nothing that can be done.
(d) His father suspects a neighbor and accuses the man.
6. What does Keiko dream that Isobe does?
(a) Marries another woman.
(b) Flies away with her.
(c) Calls and talks to his daughter.
(d) Leaves the stove on.
7. How is Tsu described in Chapter 3?
(a) Athletic and strong.
(b) Awkward and religious.
(d) Vivacious and talkative.
8. What does Naruse Mitsuko think about after Isobe leaves the informational meeting?
(a) Whether she would reincarnate or not.
(b) Where Keiko is now.
(c) A boy she tormented.
(d) Her lack of beliefs in a god.
9. What does Mrs. Sanja think of the bus that is transporting the tourists?
(a) It is very clean.
(b) The does not express an opinion about the bus.
(c) It is decrepit.
(d) It is very comfortable.
10. Who does Moïra seduce?
(b) Her cousin.
(c) No one.
11. What does Numada ask about the existence of in the area where they are?
(b) Laws prohibiting other religions.
(c) Laws preventing child labor.
(d) Animal and bird sanctuaries.
12. Who does Numada's mother hire to help her?
(a) A Mongolian girl name Tse.
(b) A Chinese boy named Li.
(c) No one; they can't afford help.
(d) A Chinese girl named Lin Sing.
13. How does Mitsuko enjoy sex with Tsu?
(a) She thinks it is better than he believed sex would be.
(b) She is disturbed by it.
(c) She is detached.
(d) It makes her fall in love with Tsu.
14. What does Mrs. Sanja do constantly on the bus?
(b) Talk about her dead son.
(c) Hum to herself.
15. Why does Kiguchi expect to be left in the jungle?
(a) He has angered their captors.
(b) He is supposed to set mines for the pursuing enemy.
(c) He is supposed to be a rear guard.
(d) He is too ill to continue walking.
Short Answer Questions
1. What group of people does Gaston tell Tsukada about after Tsukada make a confession to Gaston?
2. What ailment does Isobe's wife have?
3. What kind of books does Numada write?
4. What is the weather like as Kiguchi and Tsukada walk in Chapter 5?
5. What does the puppy do that Numada brings home as a boy?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)