|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Majorov orders his men to kill ____ on sight.
2. How does Rule grab the man's attention?
3. Majorov's men are instructed to watch the ______ for Lee.
4. How long is Lee questioned by the men?
5. What is the name of the woman that is mistaken for Rule?
Short Essay Questions
1. Lee, Rule and Appicella split up once they are in Copenhagen. Explain what each person does while in the city.
2. What is Appicella's opinion of Malibu?
3. How do the Swedish troops react to the attack? What are Helder's orders?
4. What is Majorov's reaction when he learns Appicella has escaped?
5. Who does Rule go to when she needs to discuss her plans regarding Majorov? What is the man's reaction?
6. What tips Rule off about the assassination attempt?
7. Rule contacts Rawls before leaving for Stockholm. What does Rule tell Rawls? What is Rawls' reaction?
8. Explain Simon Rule's conversation with the Senate Intelligence Committee.
9. What information does Rule threaten to use if Nixon and Simon Rule do not resign?
10. How does Appicella benefit from Lee's arrival on the island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Will Lee is an assistant to Senator Carr. What does it mean to be an assistant to a Senator? Does Lee serve as a personal assistant, administrative assistant or something else? What are Lee's duties? What is Lee's relationship to Carr? How does Lee's job relate to activities at the CIA? What is Lee's education, experience, and history? Do you think Lee is qualified to help Rule on the investigation? Why or why not? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Kate Rule works as an analyst and Soviet Officer of the Directorate of Intelligence at the CIA. In Rule's job she is also required to work with the FBI regarding the Majorov case as well as the arrest of Rawls. Compare and contrast the CIA and the FBI. What do the abbreviations stand for and how are the groups similar? Were the groups ever connected in any way? Explain. Which do you think is more important? Why? Summarize the core mission of each group as well as the authority each one holds. Which has more power international cases like the one involving Majorov? Which branches of the military are involved? How do the directors manage to keep all of the agencies informed while not stepping on toes?
Essay Topic 3
Ed Rawls seems to start out in the book as a friend of Kate's that has just returned from a tour in Eastern Europe. Examine Ed Rawls' part in the story. How does Rawls become involved in Snowflower? Explain the change in Rawls' role once he returned to the US, what precipitated his work with Majorov, and how Rule reacted when she learned of the betrayal. Why do you think Rawls would work against the agency and his own people? What is the benefit for Rawls? Has Rawls' opinion of Kate changed? What happens to Rawls in the end?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)