|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item is Helder supposed to leave behind before returning back to base?
2. What is the name of Kate's boss?
3. Where does Helder hide out after his escape from the sub?
4. What kind of seafaring vessel does Helder take to his next location?
5. Majorov is worried about troops from which country?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Trina while Helder was gone?
2. Who is Katharine Rule? What is her occupation? How is she related to another member of the agency?
3. In Chapter one, the story begins with a Swedish fisherman and his grandson. Explain the tragic event involving the two Swedes.
4. What does Helder find when he returns to his house at Malibu?
5. Discuss the conversation between Helder and Trina shortly before the mission.
6. What creates further suspicion in Helder?
7. What is Rule's decision regarding the collection of evidence? What is the result?
8. What is Helder's immediate reaction to the situation? What are Helder's expectations?
9. What is Rule's reaction to the man that has been following her to and from work?
10. What does Majorov tell Helder about his plan to attack Sweden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the tension between Kate Rule and Alan Nixon. Why is the pair at odds? Which do you feel is right? Which person acted inappropriately regarding the intelligence on Majorov? Compare and contract Rule and Nixon, including their careers and beliefs regarding interagency issues.
Essay Topic 2
The main issue in the story is the surprise attack on the Swedes by Majorov's people. Discuss this long time issue. Why is Majorov's organization so angry with the Swedes? What issue is the biggest between the Russians and the Swedes? How does the government of each country combat this type of attack? What spurred the plan in the first place? What was the first action taken by Majorov's people? When did it occur? How does knowledge of that particular incident help Helder to understand Majorov's real plans?
Essay Topic 3
Write a bio on Katharine Rule. As the protagonist Rule is an essential character in the book. Explain Rule's career, what part she plays in the story and why her presence is valuable. Also examine Kate's relationships with Simon, Lee, Peter, Rawls, and Nixon.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)