|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The men are ordered to go to what type of building?
2. Where does Helder go after leaving his hiding place?
3. What is Majorov's other identity?
4. What is the man doing when Kate enters?
5. Where is Helder taken?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the conversation between Helder and Trina shortly before the mission.
2. What happens when Helder arrives on the Stockholm-Helsinki ferry?
3. Helder and Sokolov begin their first test mission. What are Helder's objections to Sokolov's presence?
4. What is Helder's immediate reaction to the situation? What are Helder's expectations?
5. Explain Rule's search for a sports car.
6. Rule receives a possible break regarding Appicella. What is the break?
7. What does Majorov tell Helder about his plan to attack Sweden?
8. What agreement does Rule make with Appicella?
9. Explain Oskarsson's condition when he is released from the hospital. What happens next?
10. What is Rule's plan to stop the surveillance on her by the unknown source?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the tension between Kate Rule and Alan Nixon. Why is the pair at odds? Which do you feel is right? Which person acted inappropriately regarding the intelligence on Majorov? Compare and contract Rule and Nixon, including their careers and beliefs regarding interagency issues.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of Simon Rule in the story. List each facet of Kate's investigation and the level of involvement by the Director and/or Nixon. Where there any operations that were kept secret from either agent? What information might have been made available to the public that would surely condemn Rule and Nixon? Was the Director at fault for all of the problems? Explain. How do Rule and Nixon react to Kate's insistence that they resign from the agency? What do you think will happen to the men next?
Essay Topic 3
Ed Rawls seems to start out in the book as a friend of Kate's that has just returned from a tour in Eastern Europe. Examine Ed Rawls' part in the story. How does Rawls become involved in Snowflower? Explain the change in Rawls' role once he returned to the US, what precipitated his work with Majorov, and how Rule reacted when she learned of the betrayal. Why do you think Rawls would work against the agency and his own people? What is the benefit for Rawls? Has Rawls' opinion of Kate changed? What happens to Rawls in the end?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)