|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is David trying to complete?
2. What does he remember about the island?
3. Why does Jack lose communication with Charlie?
4. What is unique about this trip Jack takes in the Nautilus?
5. Where do they go from the airport?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jack's team collectively discover about the crystal?
2. How do Miyuki, Karen, Jack and Mwahu manage to elude David and his soldiers?
3. Listening to the radio chatter, what does David realize and with what does he still have to bargain?
4. What are some of the preparations involved in Jack taking Perseus the distance necessary to rescue Karen?
5. Of what does Karen convince Jack on the flight to Pohnpei?
6. What impact does Karen have on Jack and why?
7. What does Jack do to keep David busy until the explosives on deck go off?
8. What difference does Jack leaving for Okinawa have on David's plans and why?
9. What mistake does David makes that costs him his life?
10. What are Jack's priorities when he gets back to Deep Fathom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gabriel describes himself as the ghost in the machine. What does this reference mean? What exactly is Gabriel and what is his purpose? Are there other forms of self educating synthetic intelligences in existence today? If your answer is no, can you see the existence of such an artificial intelligence in your lifetime? What are the possible risks to creating a self educating awareness with global connections? How can these risks be overcome?
Essay Topic 2
There is tremendous political upheaval following the earthquakes and land mass disruptions. The crash of Air Force One is an added complication in which way? Despite the obvious tragedy of the crash, who stands to gain from it? What political shuffle is intended or created as a result? What reasons would the VP have to falsify the reasons for the crash. What motivates him politically and why? Who does Nafe invest in his plans? Could something of this nature happen in the political climate of our times? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How are Jack and Deep Fathom reunited? What is so critical about the timing of his crew's arrival? What might the outcome have been had they not been exactly where they were at the time? What alerts David to the fact that the Deep Fathom has survived his attempts to blow her out of the water? What is the only ace David has left to play at this point? What deal does he make with Jack?
This section contains 1,245 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)