|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Admiral Mark Houston call Jack Kirkland?
2. Where does Karen think the secret tunnel leads?
3. What do Jack and his crew discover on the video of the spire?
4. What position does Nicolas Ruzickov hold?
5. What are Karen and Miyuki sneaking out to see?
Short Essay Questions
1. What announcement does Mark Houston make on the USS Gibraltar and how does that affect Jack and the crew of the Fathom?
2. About what does Lisa question Jack and why is it significant?
3. About what does Houston question Jack first and what does he admit to Jack?
4. Why is Jack Kirkland called by his former Commander, Mark Houston?
5. What does George realize when Lisa comments about the time lapses as they discuss the wreckage site.
6. What does Jack's DVD of the obelisk show, and why is it important?
7. Why is martial law in effect in Naha City, Japan?
8. Why does Karen refuse to return to the University after having seen the pyramids?
9. Why does David Spangler blame Jack for his sister's death?
10. What does Gabriel show Karen and Miyuki that overshadows even the partial decryption?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In times of severe crisis, people can be divided into two main categories. What are they? What behaviors can be attributed to each group? Compare and contrast the two groups, citing similarities if any exist and obvious differences. How do these two groups deal with the emotional trauma associated with disaster? Is the representation of their behavior in this book consistent with reality? Should such an event occur today, would the two groups be as obvious and as quick in their responses? As a reporter, how would you document this crisis?
Essay Topic 2
How does Jack survive the underwater battle with David despite the lack of weaponry on the Nautilus? What is Jack's advantage? How does he manage to elude David and eventually trap him? What unexpected help does Jack get from another adversary? What is the outcome for David? David has one last ace up his sleeve. What is his parting gift to Jack and the others?
Essay Topic 3
Why is David so determined to get Karen? What does she have that David wants so badly and why? What instructions has David been given as far as Karen and Jack are concerned? Where does David ultimately take Karen and what does he expect her to do? What changes make Karen more willing to help, at least on the surface, and what does Karen do?
This section contains 1,253 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)