|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What have the Delta Force been authorized to protect regarding the Milne Ice Shelf?
2. What is the name of Michael's wife who passed away from cancer?
3. In what year do the scientists believe the meteorite to have fallen?
4. What percentage of salinity does Norah discover the water around the meteorite had in Chapter 41?
5. What is the name of the doctor that is on a dog sled in the prologue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Rachel's visit with the president aboard Air Force One?
2. What does Rachel do aboard the USS Charlotte when she realizes the president is about to have his press conference?
3. How does Rachel send a message to the NRO while in frozen water?
4. How are the Delta Force described when they are first seen in the book?
5. What is the nature of Ekstrom and Marjorie Tench's phone conversation in Chapter 75?
6. How is Rachel's conversation with the president via a video link while on the Milne Ice Shelf described?
7. How is Michael's belief of panspermia described in the book?
8. What two reasons does Norah give Rachel for disagreeing with her explanation for PODS not being sensitive enough to pick up saltwater around the glacier?
9. What does Marjorie Tench do to Rachel when she receives a call from her from the submarine just before the president's press conference?
10. How does Yolanda react when Gabrielle tells her she wishes to go public with her affair with Senator Sexton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character Rachel is one of the leads in the book and brings an interesting level of knowledge and depth to the book.
Part 1.) What role does Rachel's job as intelligence liaison to the White House play in her ability to stay alive in the book?
Part 2.) How is the author able to humanize Rachel's character by noting her fear of open water?
Part 3.) What impact might Rachel's difficult relationship with her father play in her survival instincts in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of Michael in the book. What reason might the author have for making Michael a protagonist in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of NASA in the book. What might the author be saying about the space program and its role in society based on its depiction in the book?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)