|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michael take from the sled to save him, Rachel and Corky?
2. What had the president done just after a meeting with NASA the previous week according to Senator Sexton and Gabrielle's conversation?
3. What is the name of the paleontologist hired by the president to verify the meteorite?
4. Where is Gabrielle instructed to meet her NASA informant at the White House?
5. What time does Tench give Gabrielle to decide to come public with her affair with Senator Sexton?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marjorie Tench explain the Space Commercialization Promotion Act to Gabrielle?
2. What happens when Gabrielle goes to the East Gate of the White House for a meeting?
3. Describe the conversation between the president and Marjorie Tench when she suggests going to a CNN debate with Sexton instead of him?
4. How does Rachel send a message to the NRO while in frozen water?
5. How do Michael and Corky describe how to distinguish a meteorite to Rachel?
6. What does Rachel do aboard the USS Charlotte when she realizes the president is about to have his press conference?
7. How are Rachel, Michael, and Corky rescued from the Arctic Ocean in Chapter 61?
8. What does Rachel realize when she is shot with an ice bullet on the meteorite?
9. How is Rachel's conversation with the president via a video link while on the Milne Ice Shelf described?
10. What is the nature of the material Rachel presents to the president's staff in Chapter 35?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although not the greatest evil present in the book, Senator Sexton offers the reader a look inside megalomania and politics through his character.
Part 1.) How is Senator Sexton's true nature uncovered by the end of the book?
Part 2.) How does Senator Sexton portray megalomania and greed in the book?
Part 3.) What is telling of Senator Sexton's nature based on his refusal to keep Rachel's fax hidden to ensure her safety?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the nature of the meteorite in the book. What purpose might the author have for centering the major conflict in the book around a meteorite?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Rachel with her father Senator Sexton in the book. What is telling of the impact Rachel's mother played in her life based on her differences from her father in the book?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)