|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the current profession of the man Yamata contacts about the information about the Durling Administration?
(a) Investment Banker.
(c) U.S. Senator.
2. What does the Trade Reform Act do?
(a) It allows the President to order the inspection of imported goods.
(b) It places a tariff on Japanese goods.
(c) It mandates security measures and government regulation for fuel tanks.
(d) It restricts trade with Japan.
3. At the beginning of the novel, what job is Jack Ryan offered by President Durling?
(a) Internal Security Commissioner.
(b) Defense Directives Chairman.
(c) National Security Advisor.
(d) Secretary of Security Directives.
4. What is the official reason that U.S. communications are cut off in the Pacific during the Japanese attack?
(a) Network issues.
(b) Computer error.
(c) Solar flare.
5. Where does Yamata's contact, Seiji Nagumo work?
(a) The Japanese Embassy in Washington.
(b) The Japanese state department.
(c) The Japanese parliament.
(d) The Pentagon.
6. After his meeting with Searls in New York, where does Yamata travel to in order to meet with political and military leaders?
7. How are Yamata's missiles transported across Saipan?
(a) By tractor trailers.
(b) By Russian purchased ICBM launchers.
(c) By car carriers.
(d) By converted troop transports.
8. What is Ryan's relationship with Sergey Golovko?
(a) They are war buddies.
(b) They are old friends.
(c) They are former adversaries.
(d) They are distant cousins.
9. Who is Chavez able to contact in the U.S. from Saipan during the initial Japanese attacks?
(a) The Coast Guard.
(b) Rear Admiral Rob Jackson.
(c) Jack Ryan.
(d) Midway Station.
10. Who leads the push for the Trade Reform Act?
(a) Secretary Hatfield.
(b) Senator Leon Haney.
(c) Congressman Avery Combs.
(d) Representative Al Trent.
11. How does the NTSB determine the cause of the Cresta accidents?
(a) They find incriminating evidence from the Japanese manufacter.
(b) They are coerced into making their statement.
(c) Physical inspection and laboratory tests.
(d) X-ray analysis and magnetic resonance imaging.
12. When he arrives in America, Durling agrees to an urgent request for a meeting by whom?
(a) Pentagon officials.
(b) The Japanese ambassador.
(c) The Joint Chiefs of Staff.
(d) Jack Ryan.
13. What does Yamata intend to do with the new information he has gained about the Durling administration?
(a) Save the information for later.
(b) Blackmail Durling.
(c) Bring down the U.S. administration.
(d) Sell the information.
14. How are Japanese troops transported to Saipan during the surprise attacks?
(a) By helicopter.
(b) By amphibious assault ships.
(c) By aerial assault.
(d) By airliners from JAL.
15. What does Ryan do when he learns that the FBI is searching for Kimberly Norton?
(a) He flies to Japan immediately.
(b) He offers to use operatives watching Goto to help.
(c) He loses his temper.
(d) He orders all other work to stop to help search for her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ryan find the investments of Asian banks unremarkable?
2. What locations is Chet Nomuri ordered to continue frequenting?
3. What does Golovko want in exchange for his help?
4. When Ryan and the U.S. President are going to Moscow, where is Yamata preparing to send his nuclear weapons?
5. Why do the President and Ryan go to Moscow soon after Kimberly Norton's death?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)