|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Cook promised in exchange for his cooperation?
(a) A pardon.
(d) Political power.
2. How often do U.S. Japanese war game exercises take place?
(a) On a regular basis.
(b) Only when diplomatically necessary.
(c) At irregular intervals.
(d) Much less often than in previous years.
3. Yamata seeks information on which of the following?
(a) Military deployments.
(b) Military blueprints.
(c) U.S. trade agreements.
(d) U.S. nuclear launch codes.
4. What is the state of Japan when the novel begins?
(a) It cut off all diplomatic relations.
(b) It annexed many islands that surround it.
(c) It is militarizing openly and rapidly.
(d) It's government is shaky and could fall to an unfriendly opposition.
5. When Ryan visits Russia, the mood is best described in which way?
6. What new technology is Japan eager to test during the war games?
(a) Infrared night-vision.
(b) Hydroplaning attack boats.
(c) A new radar system.
(d) Satellite battlefield imagery.
7. At the beginning of the novel, what job is Jack Ryan offered by President Durling?
(a) Defense Directives Chairman.
(b) Internal Security Commissioner.
(c) Secretary of Security Directives.
(d) National Security Advisor.
8. How many people are killed in the accident that leads to an NTSB investigation?
(a) Nine people.
(b) Ten people.
(c) Five people.
(d) Two people.
9. Which of the following is most important in Yamata's plan to bring down America?
(c) International opinion.
10. What does the commander of U.S. Navy forces in the Indian Ocean believe about the Indian Navy?
(a) Their strength is vastly over-estimated.
(b) They are preparing to invade Sri Lanka.
(c) They have nuclear-armed subs.
(d) They are preparing to attack U.S. forces.
11. What does Ryan do when he learns that the FBI is searching for Kimberly Norton?
(a) He offers to use operatives watching Goto to help.
(b) He orders all other work to stop to help search for her.
(c) He flies to Japan immediately.
(d) He loses his temper.
12. What is Ryan's relationship with Sergey Golovko?
(a) They are distant cousins.
(b) They are former adversaries.
(c) They are war buddies.
(d) They are old friends.
13. What is happening to the global stock of nuclear weapons when the novel begins?
(a) Both the U.S. and Russia are disposing of their weapons.
(b) Most major countries have nuclear weapons.
(c) Both the U.S. and Russia are stockpiling weapons.
(d) Many private companies are secretly developing these weapons.
14. What does Golovko want in exchange for his help?
(a) Details on Kimberly Norton.
(b) Full disclosure of information on Yamata.
(c) A diplomatic statement against Goto.
(d) Help with the Siberian issue.
15. What precipitates the decline of U.S. financial and blue-chip stocks?
(a) European purchase of U.S. Treasury notes.
(b) The failure of the U.S. auto industry.
(c) The sale of Asian owned Treasury notes.
(d) The bankruptcy of Citibank.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Citibank's stock sold off rapidly?
2. What do Japanese banks start investing in shortly after the Trade Reform Act is passed?
3. What danger does the Trade Reform Act pose for Japan?
4. What are Clark and Chavez ordered to do just as Kimberly Norton gets killed?
5. What is the American reception of the new Crestas?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)