|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Clark and Chavez ordered to do just as Kimberly Norton gets killed?
(a) Bring her into their spy ring.
(b) Give her vital information on Goto.
(c) Get her to safety.
(d) Get information from her.
2. What does Yamata do with the Columbus Investment Group?
(a) He causes its stock to plummet.
(b) He purchases controlling shares.
(c) He secretly bankrupts it.
(d) He buys it in a hostile takeover.
3. After his meeting with Searls in New York, where does Yamata travel to in order to meet with political and military leaders?
4. What does Ron Jones use to determine that the Japanese strike must have been intentional?
(a) A spy within the Japanese Navy.
(b) Intercepted radio communications.
(c) The positions of all ships at the time of the strike.
(d) Satellite imagery.
5. The war games principally involve what type of forces?
6. Why is the FBI trying to locate Kimberly Norton?
(a) She is the daughter of a United States ambassador.
(b) She may be a spy for Japan.
(c) Her father is the friend of an agent.
(d) She is a CIA operative.
7. Who leads the push for the Trade Reform Act?
(a) Secretary Hatfield.
(b) Congressman Avery Combs.
(c) Representative Al Trent.
(d) Senator Leon Haney.
8. What is the result of the initial Japanese strike against the U.S. Navy?
(a) Three battleships are sunk.
(b) Dozens of destroyers and a few cruisers are sunk.
(c) Two carriers are damaged and two subs are destroyed.
(d) The U.S. fleet becomes totally disorganized.
9. What locations is Chet Nomuri ordered to continue frequenting?
(a) Certain parks and temples.
(b) Specific tea and bathhouses.
(c) The downtown and financial districts of Tokyo.
(d) The neighborhoods of certain zaibatsu.
10. How do the Cresta's tanks become rusted?
(a) Salt for snow clearing rusts them on the road.
(b) They rust while waiting unused in an open lot.
(c) Salty sea air rusts them during the course of travel.
(d) Someone applies a fluid to them that aids in rusting.
11. Where does Yamata's contact, Seiji Nagumo work?
(a) The Japanese Embassy in Washington.
(b) The Japanese state department.
(c) The Japanese parliament.
(d) The Pentagon.
12. What does Yamata want to know about the U.S. and Russian disarmament?
(a) When the last weapons will be disarmed.
(b) What company is transporting the missiles.
(c) Where the missiles are being dismantled.
(d) Where the weaponized uranium is being stored.
13. What precipitates the decline of U.S. financial and blue-chip stocks?
(a) The sale of Asian owned Treasury notes.
(b) European purchase of U.S. Treasury notes.
(c) The failure of the U.S. auto industry.
(d) The bankruptcy of Citibank.
14. In what way has Searls modified his program at Yamata's instruction?
(a) He made it undetectable.
(b) He turned it into a virus.
(c) He added a "destruction device" to it.
(d) He encrypted its source code.
15. At the beginning of the novel, what job is Jack Ryan offered by President Durling?
(a) Defense Directives Chairman.
(b) Internal Security Commissioner.
(c) Secretary of Security Directives.
(d) National Security Advisor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Citibank's stock sold off rapidly?
2. With what nations does Yamata seek secret alliances?
3. What is the CIA operative Chet Nomuri's mission?
4. What event causes the U.S. administration to plan a trip to Moscow to celebrate?
5. What is the former profession of the man Yamata contacts about the information regarding the Durling Administration?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)