|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the boat Aschenbach takes to Venice described?
2. Why does Aschenbach hesitate to approach Tadzio?
3. Why does Aschenbach become frustrated with the gondolier?
4. Aschenbach frequently watches Tadzio at the _______.
5. In Part Four, Aschenbach begins to believe that Tadzio is _________ of Aschenbach's feelings.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "Death In Venice," Mann uses colors to give dimension to characters and to represent themes. Write an essay discussing Mann's use of reoccurring colors to represent the themes and flesh out characters. What do these colors represent? When does Mann chose to use color? How can the development of the story and the transformation of Aschenbach be traced through color?
Essay Topic 2
There are no active female characters in "Death In Venice," only Aschenbach's deceased wife and Tadzio's mother and sisters. What is the significance of such a large amount of male characters? How does this contribute to the theme of Aschenbach's feelings for Tadzio? Why is this crucial to the book?
Essay Topic 3
The narrator is in control of the way the readers see "Death In Venice." Why is the personality of the narrator crucial to the story? Why couldn't the story of "Death In Venice" exist without this narrator?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)