|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aschenbach and Tadzio's relationship is _________.
2. How does Aschenbach sleep?
3. How does Aschenbach feel at the prospect of Tadzio not living long?
4. At the beginning of Part Three, how long until Aschenbach embarks to Pola?
5. What is Aschenbach's brief dilemma with his fixation of Tadzio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "Death In Venice," Mann uses colors to give dimension to characters and to represent themes. Write an essay discussing Mann's use of reoccurring colors to represent the themes and flesh out characters. What do these colors represent? When does Mann chose to use color? How can the development of the story and the transformation of Aschenbach be traced through color?
Essay Topic 2
The elements of Aschenbach's life have clearly defined who he is today.
1) Analyze the characteristics of Aschenbach's childhood.
2) Analyze the events of Aschenbach's adulthood.
3) How does the "recipe" that these events and characteristics create compare to who Aschenbach is at the beginning of "Death In Venice?"
4) How can you explain the jarring difference between Aschenbach at the beginning and end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
What does "dignity" mean to Aschenbach? How does his definition of "dignity" change through "Death In Venice?" How does he justify this change and cling to his dignity?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)