|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aschenbach compare the second boatman's beard to?
2. Why does Aschenbach hesitate to approach Tadzio?
3. As Aschenbach's fixation on Tadzio increases in Part Four, what classical figures does he have a vision of?
4. What sense do the boatmen give to Aschenbach?
5. Now that Aschenbach is completely obsessed with Tadzio, Aschenbach is controlled by his ________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The elements of Aschenbach's life have clearly defined who he is today.
1) Analyze the characteristics of Aschenbach's childhood.
2) Analyze the events of Aschenbach's adulthood.
3) How does the "recipe" that these events and characteristics create compare to who Aschenbach is at the beginning of "Death In Venice?"
4) How can you explain the jarring difference between Aschenbach at the beginning and end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
What parallels can be drawn between Aschenbch and Jashu in their relationship to Tadzio?
Essay Topic 3
The narrator is in control of the way the readers see "Death In Venice." Why is the personality of the narrator crucial to the story? Why couldn't the story of "Death In Venice" exist without this narrator?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)