|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aschenbach compare the boy in the hotel to?
2. How has Tadzio changed how Aschenbach feels about his writing?
3. What compels Aschenbach to leave Venice this time?
4. Why does Aschenbach compare Tadzio to gods?
5. The family Aschenbach sees in his hotel are from _______.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way do other characters steer Aschenbach? What does this say about Aschenbach and his mind, since his direct interactions are either brief or silent?
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolic and metaphorical significance of "the beach?" What purpose does it play other than a stage? What does it represent about Aschenbach's trip, transformation, and emotional and mental state?
Essay Topic 3
Aschenbach severely disapproves of any falsehood or disguise.
1) Why does he object to this so much?
2) What do falsehood and disguise symbolize to him?
3) What does it mean when Aschenbach begins wearing a disguise himself?
This section contains 212 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)