|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Usually Aschenbach feels ________ at his summer house.
2. Aschenbach has always led a(n) _____ life.
3. Approximately how old is Aschenbach?
4. Judging from the man's attire and physical characteristics, Aschenbach concludes that this man is NOT _______ .
5. What expression does the man at the chapel give to Aschenbach?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Aschenbach's mind, Tadzio beckons Aschenbach to the water before Aschenbach dies. What does this say about Tadzio's real purpose?
2. Why does Aschenbach think he hesitated to approach Tadzio?
3. Why does Aschenbach decide to stay? What does this decision mean in terms of a change in Aschenbach?
4. Why does Aschenbach return to the chapel? What is he hoping for?
5. What benefit does Aschenbach believe he will gain from traveling? Why does he need this?
6. Why does Aschenbach smile at Tadzio when he sees him and his family at the end of Part Four? What does Aschenbach do after?
7. What does Aschenbach believe is heroic? How does this aid his writing?
8. How does being an artist change Aschenbach's daily life? How does it set him apart from others?
9. What was Aschenbach's home-life and education like?
10. Why does Aschenbach watch Tadzio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "Death In Venice", there are three men that Aschenbach has meaningful or pivotal encounters with.
1) Analyze the significance of his encounter with the man at the chapel.
2) Analyze Aschenbach's encounter with the Old Fop on the boat to Venice.
3) Analyze Aschenbach's encounter with the street performer.
4) How do all these men perform a similar service to Aschenbach? What do they inspire or evoke in him? How are their general presentations similar to each other? As a whole, what do they represent?
Essay Topic 2
Tadzio is the most pivotal figure in Aschenbach's life during the time of "Death In Venice." Throughout the book he takes on many different roles. What is the greater purpose of Tadzio's representation?
Essay Topic 3
"Death In Venice" uses outside information and references to build up the vividness of the scene, story, and characters.
1) Explore Mann's use of Greek mythology and figures.
2) Explore Mann's use of outside, unexplained references (psychology, philosophy, politics, etc.)
3) Argue whether or not the book would have been complete without an understanding of this outside information. Argue whether or not it is a crutch.
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)