|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Aschenbach dress?
2. How does Aschenbach hide his loneliness?
(a) Superficial friendships.
3. The approaching war referenced is __________.
(a) The Vietnam War.
(b) World War One.
(c) The Cold War.
(d) World War Two.
4. When Aschenbach pulls back from his daydream, it shows his reluctance to follow ______.
(a) His impulses.
(b) Societal standards.
(c) Other's direction.
(d) His parents' advise.
5. How long has Aschenbach been sick?
(a) Since youth.
(b) A week.
(c) Since yesterday.
(d) A few years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the cause of Aschenbach's anxiety?
2. The man at the chapel carries a _______.
3. How many times has Aschenbach been divorced?
4. Lately, Aschenbach has been _______ with his routine.
5. While Aschenbach takes his walk at the beginning of Part One, the streets of the city are _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Venice smell of carbolic acid and why won't any Venetians explain this?
2. How is the street performer similar to the man Aschenbach sees at the chapel in Part One? How is he similar to other men Aschenbach has seen throughout "Death In Venice?"
3. Why is Aschenbach comforted by the idea of a quarantine?
4. How does Aschenbach's new look make him similar to the Old Fop?
5. Why does Aschenbach decide to go to Venice?
6. How does the gondola play into the series of deathlike images and foreshadowing?
7. Does Aschenbach look at Tadzio analytically or with glorification?
8. What happened to Aschenbach's wife? What is his family situation now?
9. What is the daydream Aschenbach has after being inspired to travel? How does this further his desire to travel?
10. What is the quality of Aschenbach's boat journey to Venice that makes him nervous and suspicious?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)