|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lately, Aschenbach has been _______ with his routine.
2. On his walk, where does Aschenbach end up and stop briefly?
(a) At a Byzantine chapel.
(b) At a religious commune.
(c) At a monastery.
(d) At a Jewish temple.
3. What characterizes Aschenbach's daydream?
4. The tone at the beginning of "Death In Venice" is ___________.
5. What is Aschenbach's mother's profession?
(a) A seamstress.
(b) An artist.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A housewife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Aschenbach live?
2. Aschenbach keep his beard _________.
3. At the beginning of the book, when Aschenbach encounters the man at the chapel, what does their interaction consists of?
4. What did the professions of Aschenbach's parents instill in him?
5. What did Aschenbach want but never get?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aschenbach believe is heroic? How does this aid his writing?
2. Why do Tadzio's and his friend Jashu wrestle?
3. What does Aschenbach's reluctance of his daydream say about the strength his usual mind-set has over him? What does this hold for the future?
4. How does Aschenbach feel when he observes Tadzio is ill and may not live long? Why might he feel this way?
5. What delays Aschenbach's departure from Venice? Is he upset by this?
6. In what era does "Death In Venice" take place? What major historical landmark is referenced?
7. How does Aschenbach's vision of Socrates and Phaedrus translate to him and Tadzio?
8. Why is Aschenbach comforted by the idea of a quarantine?
9. Now that Aschenbach is completely obsessed with Tadzio, how does Aschenbach spend his free time? What does this say about his transformation?
10. What does the dream that Aschenbach has add to how the reader sees his transformation?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)