|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How intelligent is Aschenbach?
(a) Very stupid.
(b) Not too bright.
(d) Very intelligent.
2. What did the professions of Aschenbach's parents instill in him?
(a) Skill at robbery.
(b) Sarcasm and wit.
(c) Laziness and ungratefulness.
(d) Diligence in art.
3. Lately, Aschenbach has had a difficult time _________.
4. When did Aschenbach achieve fame?
(b) Not yet, but he will.
(c) When he was young.
(d) Only recently.
5. What is the weather on this first day in the novella?
(a) Warm and sunny.
(d) Dark and cloudy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Aschenbach look at the world differently?
2. How many times has Aschenbach been married?
3. What is Aschenbach's mother's profession?
4. What province is Aschenbach from?
5. When Aschenbach returns to the chapel at the end of his walk, the man has ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What about Tadzio does Aschenbach use for his writing? How does Aschenbach feel about writing this way?
2. What inspires Aschenbach to travel?
3. Why does Aschenbach return to the chapel? What is he hoping for?
4. Why does Aschenbach decide to leave Venice? Why is this a typical response for him to have?
5. What is the daydream Aschenbach has after being inspired to travel? How does this further his desire to travel?
6. Why is Aschenbach's writing popular?
7. How does Aschenbach see Tadzio? What does he compare Tadzio to?
8. What does Aschenbach's reluctance of his daydream say about the strength his usual mind-set has over him? What does this hold for the future?
9. What successes has Aschenbach achieved in life?
10. How would you compare Aschenbach as a youth to the Aschenbach we meet in the beginning of the book?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)