|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Usually Aschenbach feels ________ at his summer house.
2. How does Aschenbach hide his loneliness?
(c) Superficial friendships.
3. How many children does Aschenbach have?
4. How long has Aschenbach been sick?
(a) A few years.
(b) Since yesterday.
(c) Since youth.
(d) A week.
5. Approximately how old is Aschenbach?
(a) Young man.
(d) Old man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the weather on this first day in the novella?
2. Aschenbach sees a man at the chapel. What color is the man's hair?
3. Aschenbach's childhood is characterized by _______.
4. What type of school did Aschenbach attend?
5. What is Aschenbach's mother's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Tadzio's and his friend Jashu wrestle?
2. Why does Aschenbach decide to stay? What does this decision mean in terms of a change in Aschenbach?
3. How is the first victim of the sickness relevant to Aschenbach?
4. What was suspicious about the gondolier? Why does he run away?
5. Does Aschenbach look at Tadzio analytically or with glorification?
6. What were Aschenbach's parent's professions and how have they influenced Achenbach?
7. What is the daydream Aschenbach has after being inspired to travel? How does this further his desire to travel?
8. When does Aschenbach arrive in Pola? Why does he leave Pola?
9. How does the gondola play into the series of deathlike images and foreshadowing?
10. What happened to Aschenbach's wife? What is his family situation now?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)