|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Aschenbach and Tadzio's relationship is _________.
2. How does Aschenbach pass the time on the boat?
(a) He daydreams.
(b) He writes.
(c) He strikes up a conversation.
(d) He sleeps.
3. Why does the gondolier run away?
(a) Because he had to go get another passenger.
(b) Because Aschenbach yelled at him.
(c) Because he is stealing Aschenbach's luggage.
(d) Because he is a known criminal running from the police.
4. What arrangements does Aschenbach make to stay in Venice longer?
(a) He learns Italian.
(b) He rents an apartment.
(c) He has more money sent to him.
(d) He quits his job.
5. What is a physical characteristic of the first boatman Aschenbach sees?
(a) He is missing fingers.
(b) He has a large nose.
(c) He is a hunchback.
(d) He is blind.
6. At the height of Aschenbach's obsession with Tadzio, what sense has Tadzio reinvigorated in Aschenbach?
7. Why is Aschenbach forced to stay in Venice longer?
(a) No boats were running.
(b) His luggage was mislabled.
(c) He ran out of money.
(d) He fell ill.
8. After Aschenbach decides to stay in Venice, he plans to stay in Venice ________.
(b) For one more week.
(c) Until the end of summer.
9. What does Aschenbach compare the boy in the hotel to?
(a) A monster.
(b) A Greek statue.
(d) His own son.
10. When Aschenbach is forced to stay in Venice what is he able to do?
(a) See a play.
(b) Enjoy the good weather.
(c) See more of Tadzio.
(d) Visit an old friend.
11. Aschenbach feels _______ about using Tadzio as inspiration.
12. As Aschenbach's fixation on Tadzio increases in Part Four, what classical figures does he have a vision of?
(a) Romeo and Juliet.
(b) Socrates and Phaedrus.
(c) Adam and Eve.
(d) His mother and father.
13. About how old is Tadzio?
14. Aschenbach's fixation on Tadzio could be called:
15. How does Aschenbach spend his free time in Venice?
(a) Talking to other tourists.
Short Answer Questions
1. What compelled Aschenbach to leave Venice during his last trip?
2. While Aschenbach becomes more and more obsessed with Tadzio, what has he begun to lose interest in?
3. Aschenbach, in his decision to stay, is ignoring his _________.
4. What sense do the boatmen give to Aschenbach?
5. Why is Aschenbach excited for the day to start?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)