|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tadzio give to Aschenbach when he sees him on the pier?
(a) A smile.
(b) A flower.
(c) A letter.
(d) A scowl.
2. In Part Four, Aschenbach's feelings during his trip to Venice are becoming more __________.
(a) Dulled down.
3. How does Aschenbach spend his free time in Venice?
(b) Talking to other tourists.
4. What makes Aschenbach believe Tadzio will not live long?
(a) Someone told Aschenbach this.
(b) He sees a doctor visiting the boy's hotel room.
(c) Aschenbach has a dream.
(d) Tadzio appears ill.
5. Where does Aschenbach spend his free time in Venice?
(a) In shops.
(b) In his room.
(c) At a cafe.
(d) At the beach.
6. The family Aschenbach sees in his hotel are from _______.
7. Before his trip to Venice, Aschenbach used to be controlled by his _________.
(a) Desire to please.
8. Aschenbach's fixation on Tadzio could be called:
9. What does Aschenbach do after seeing Tadzio and his family on the pier?
(a) Professes his love silently.
(b) Goes to bed.
(c) Practices how he will speak to Tadzio.
(d) Writes a poem.
10. What is the weather like in Venice?
(a) Sunny and warm.
(b) Unbearably hot.
(d) Gray and cloudy.
11. Why is Aschenbach forced to stay in Venice longer?
(a) No boats were running.
(b) He ran out of money.
(c) He fell ill.
(d) His luggage was mislabled.
12. What compels Aschenbach to leave Venice this time?
(a) He hates Venice.
(b) He is robbed.
(c) A foul smell.
(d) He thinks his hotel is haunted.
13. How does Aschenbach feel about his decision to stay in Venice?
14. Why does Aschenbach become frustrated with the gondolier?
(a) Because he is taking him in the wrong direction.
(b) Because he smells bad.
(c) Because he is bad at his job.
(d) Because he is criticizing Aschenbach.
15. After Aschenbach decides to stay in Venice, he plans to stay in Venice ________.
(b) Until the end of summer.
(d) For one more week.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aschenbach, in his decision to stay, is ignoring his _________.
2. What is Aschenbach's brief dilemma with his fixation of Tadzio?
3. Why does Aschenbach choose to go to Venice?
4. Which specific Greek god does Aschenbach compare Tadzio to while he watches him on the beach?
5. What does Aschenbach compare the second boatman's beard to?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)