|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tadzio begin to do that forces Aschenbach to speculate about Tadzio's feelings for him?
(a) He approaches him.
(b) He walks past his bathing cabin.
(c) He makes eye contact.
(d) He writes him leters.
2. What is Aschenbach's brief dilemma with his fixation of Tadzio?
(a) Others might disapprove.
(b) Tadzio doesn't return his feelings.
(c) It will ruin his marraige.
(d) It might be inappropriate.
3. What sense do the boatmen give to Aschenbach?
(a) They are sad.
(b) They are happy.
(c) They are genuine.
(d) They are corrupt.
4. What is a physical characteristic of the first boatman Aschenbach sees?
(a) He has a large nose.
(b) He is missing fingers.
(c) He is blind.
(d) He is a hunchback.
5. At the beginning of Part Three, how long until Aschenbach embarks to Pola?
(a) The next day.
(b) A year.
(c) A few days.
(d) A few weeks.
6. Where does Aschenbach spend his free time in Venice?
(a) At a cafe.
(b) In shops.
(c) At the beach.
(d) In his room.
7. Why is Aschenbach excited for the day to start?
(a) Because morning is his favorite time of day.
(b) Because he can see Tadzio.
(c) Because he can go to the beach.
(d) Because he can read the newspaper.
8. Why does Aschenbach get off the gondola and return to it?
(a) Because he was filing a complaint against the gondolier.
(b) Because he forgot to say goodbye to the gondolier.
(c) Because he was getting change to pay the gondolier.
(d) Because he forgot his luggage.
9. What is Aschenbach's first thought in the morning?
10. Why does Aschenbach leave Pola?
(a) He sees an enemy of his.
(b) He doesn't like the people.
(c) The weather is poor.
(d) It isn't satisfying his ideals for the vacation.
11. What is Tadzio wearing when Aschenbach first sees him?
(a) A bathing suit.
(b) A sailor suit.
(c) A simple shirt and pants.
(d) A pirate costume.
12. How long until Aschenbach's luggage returns to Venice?
(a) Several weeks.
(b) It was in Venice the whole time.
(c) It never returns.
(d) Not very long.
13. Aschenbach is ________ when he suddenly sees the Polish family on the pier.
14. What does Tadzio give to Aschenbach when he sees him on the pier?
(a) A smile.
(b) A flower.
(c) A scowl.
(d) A letter.
15. Which specific Greek god does Aschenbach compare Tadzio to while he watches him on the beach?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Aschenbach feel at the prospect of Tadzio not living long?
2. What does Aschenbach feel when he realizes the truth about the young man?
3. What is the weather like in Venice?
4. What does Aschenbach do after seeing Tadzio and his family on the pier?
5. About how old is Tadzio?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)