|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tadzio inspire Aschenbach to do?
2. What is the weather like in Venice?
(a) Gray and cloudy.
(c) Unbearably hot.
(d) Sunny and warm.
3. How has Tadzio changed how Aschenbach feels about his writing?
(a) He is not amused with it.
(b) He is more displeased with it.
(c) He doesn't care anymore.
(d) He is excited by it.
4. Why is Aschenbach forced to stay in Venice longer?
(a) No boats were running.
(b) He ran out of money.
(c) He fell ill.
(d) His luggage was mislabled.
5. What captivates Aschenbach about the boy in the hotel lobby?
(a) His beauty.
(b) His clothes.
(c) His ugliness.
(d) His rudeness.
6. What is a physical characteristic of the first boatman Aschenbach sees?
(a) He is a hunchback.
(b) He is missing fingers.
(c) He has a large nose.
(d) He is blind.
7. When Aschenbach is forced to stay in Venice what is he able to do?
(a) Visit an old friend.
(b) See a play.
(c) Enjoy the good weather.
(d) See more of Tadzio.
8. What compelled Aschenbach to leave Venice during his last trip?
(a) He fell ill.
(b) He was lonely.
(c) He was robbed.
(d) His hotel burned down.
9. What does Aschenbach compare the second boatman's beard to?
(a) A waterfall.
(b) A goat.
(c) A fluffy cloud.
(d) Horse hair.
10. Aschenbach, in his decision to stay, is ignoring his _________.
(a) Poor health.
(b) Poor finances.
(d) Duties at work.
11. Why does the gondolier run away?
(a) Because Aschenbach yelled at him.
(b) Because he had to go get another passenger.
(c) Because he is stealing Aschenbach's luggage.
(d) Because he is a known criminal running from the police.
12. What does Aschenbach compare the gondola to?
(a) A bed.
(b) A banana.
(c) A coffin.
(d) A toy.
13. How does Aschenbach feel about being forced to stay in Venice?
14. Now that Aschenbach is completely obsessed with Tadzio, Aschenbach is controlled by his ________.
15. In Part Four, Aschenbach's feelings during his trip to Venice are becoming more __________.
(a) Dulled down.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Aschenbach ignore his dilemmas regarding Tadzio?
2. What is Tadzio wearing when Aschenbach first sees him?
3. How does Aschenbach feel about his decision to stay in Venice?
4. Aschenbach and Tadzio's relationship is _________.
5. What does Tadzio give to Aschenbach when he sees him on the pier?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)