|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Aschenbach do after seeing Tadzio and his family on the pier?
(a) Practices how he will speak to Tadzio.
(b) Writes a poem.
(c) Goes to bed.
(d) Professes his love silently.
2. How does Aschenbach feel about his decision to stay in Venice?
3. What is a physical characteristic of the first boatman Aschenbach sees?
(a) He is missing fingers.
(b) He has a large nose.
(c) He is blind.
(d) He is a hunchback.
4. What is Aschenbach's vision at the beginning of Part Four supposed to represent?
5. The family Aschenbach sees in his hotel are from _______.
6. What does Aschenbach compare the gondola to?
(a) A bed.
(b) A banana.
(c) A toy.
(d) A coffin.
7. How does Aschenbach feel about being forced to stay in Venice?
8. What compels Aschenbach to leave Venice this time?
(a) He thinks his hotel is haunted.
(b) He is robbed.
(c) A foul smell.
(d) He hates Venice.
9. How has Tadzio changed how Aschenbach feels about his writing?
(a) He doesn't care anymore.
(b) He is more displeased with it.
(c) He is excited by it.
(d) He is not amused with it.
10. Aschenbach feels _______ about using Tadzio as inspiration.
11. Why does Aschenbach compare Tadzio to gods?
(a) Because he can fly.
(b) Because he changes the seasons.
(c) Because he has magical powers.
(d) Because he is beautiful.
12. What does Tadzio give to Aschenbach when he sees him on the pier?
(a) A smile.
(b) A scowl.
(c) A flower.
(d) A letter.
13. Aschenbach's fixation on Tadzio could be called:
14. What is the specific aspect of Tadzio that inspires Aschenbach?
(a) His body.
(b) His clothing.
(c) His eyes.
(d) His voice.
15. Where does Aschenbach frequently see Tadzio?
(a) At the hotel restaurant.
(b) In his dreams.
(c) Going for walks.
(d) Playing in the street.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aschenbach notice about one of the young men on the boat?
2. What was the weather on Aschenbach's last trip to Venice?
3. What is Aschenbach's first thought in the morning?
4. Now that Aschenbach is completely obsessed with Tadzio, Aschenbach is controlled by his ________.
5. What does Aschenbach compare the boy in the hotel to?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)