|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Aschenbach forced to stay in Venice longer?
(a) He fell ill.
(b) His luggage was mislabled.
(c) No boats were running.
(d) He ran out of money.
2. Where does Aschenbach frequently see Tadzio?
(a) In his dreams.
(b) At the hotel restaurant.
(c) Playing in the street.
(d) Going for walks.
3. Aschenbach, in his decision to stay, is ignoring his _________.
(a) Poor finances.
(c) Duties at work.
(d) Poor health.
4. Why does Aschenbach leave Pola?
(a) It isn't satisfying his ideals for the vacation.
(b) He sees an enemy of his.
(c) The weather is poor.
(d) He doesn't like the people.
5. The family Aschenbach sees in his hotel are from _______.
6. What compels Aschenbach to leave Venice this time?
(a) A foul smell.
(b) He thinks his hotel is haunted.
(c) He hates Venice.
(d) He is robbed.
7. How does Aschenbach spend his free time in Venice?
(c) Talking to other tourists.
8. What does Aschenbach notice about one of the young men on the boat?
(a) That he is actually very old.
(b) That he is actually a woman.
(c) That he is younger than the other men.
(d) That he is a pickpocket.
9. What makes Aschenbach believe Tadzio will not live long?
(a) Tadzio appears ill.
(b) Someone told Aschenbach this.
(c) Aschenbach has a dream.
(d) He sees a doctor visiting the boy's hotel room.
10. How is the boat Aschenbach takes to Venice described?
(b) Old fashioned.
11. About how old is Tadzio?
12. After Aschenbach decides to stay in Venice, he plans to stay in Venice ________.
(a) For one more week.
(c) Until the end of summer.
13. What is a physical characteristic of the first boatman Aschenbach sees?
(a) He has a large nose.
(b) He is blind.
(c) He is a hunchback.
(d) He is missing fingers.
14. At the height of Aschenbach's obsession with Tadzio, what sense has Tadzio reinvigorated in Aschenbach?
15. Aschenbach's fixation on Tadzio could be called:
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tadzio inspire Aschenbach to do?
2. Why does Aschenbach compare Tadzio to gods?
3. What sense do the boatmen give to Aschenbach?
4. What arrangements does Aschenbach make to stay in Venice longer?
5. What is Tadzio wearing when Aschenbach first sees him?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)